Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 05:25

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Quitting

I would really like to quit smoking but my willpower always seems to get the best of me. I would love to hear from all of you former smokers as to what you did or any special techniques you used to become smoke-free. Of course, I am low carbing so replacing a smoke with say a mint or something is out of the question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Patty
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 06:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/160 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hiya Patty

I quit cold turkey 7 months ago. I LOVED smoking but just woke up one Monday morning & thought 'that's enough, I've had a gutfull' & quit Wednesday.

I used a few of those nicotine chewing gums but only 12 in total so don't believe the 'you can't go cold turkey' crap. I smoked for 25 years (23 of those years at 30 a day, even during 2 pregnancies.. yes I know ) and managed okay.

Just take it day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute if you have too. There is some site online that tracks things or something for you too. It's true what they say about distracting yourself as the craving will pass. It WILL pass and gets easier each time.

I had a moment of triumph last week when I had a drag of a ciggie & almost threw up

Now I am concentrating of losing weight. So in the last 7 months I have given up nicotine, sugar, carbs, coffee and.............. no, that's about it. Boring huh?

Message me anytime you feel you need a cheersquad.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 06:41
Currently Fascinated

Plan: M&E/Atkins
Stats: 225/150/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Quite Possibly
Progress: 75%

Hi Patty... I quit smoking August 26, 2005. I planned it a week in advance. I did lots of reading, joined Quitnet.net (a very cool support site that kept me accountable and saved my butt more than once), and stocked up. I used the patch (all 12 weeks) and I chewed a ton of SF gum. I also gained about 20 pounds. Quitting smoking messes up your metabolism. It does settle down again, but it takes awhile.

For me, I couldn't do both at once. That's not to say it's impossible! But for me, the times I had tried to do both, I ended up failing at both. I gave myself a set amount of time (through the new year) to almost eat anything I wanted (at least, as far as gum and sf candies and such went). I waited until I felt secure in my Quit until I went back on the diet. Then I had a whole host of other problems, but that's another story.

Anyway, your best defense is a good offense, as they say. Plan. Read. Make a ton of lists (reasons why you quit, things you can do instead of smoke, health issues you're experiencing). It can be done, and you'll feel a whole lot better for it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 08:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I tried every quit product out there and the only thing that stuck was cold turkey (I'm coming up on my 17 month anniversary of being nicotine free). Don't believe all the hype about how horrible a cold turkey quit is; I found it much easier than keeping myself in a constant state of withdrawal with nicotine replacement products and the withdrawal symptoms were very mild.
If you convince yourself that quitting will be horrible, it will be.
Consider also that even with the nicotine replacements, you either have to stay addicted to nicotine and keep using the replacements (just as many $$ as cigarettes) or face withdrawal sometime; I found it better for me to face withdrawal sooner rather than later and make a clean break from my addiction.

Whatever you do, if one method isn't successful, keep trying until you find something that works. I've read that it takes an average of 6 quit attempts before a smoker is successful at quitting.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 15:15

BF:

Thanx everybody for the wonderful advice. I was thinking if I could just crawl under the covers and sleep for a week......I might be alright. I know I can't do that though. We've had a lot of people in work who recently quit smoking. They all used that new pill that's on the market called Chantix (sp.) with great success. I might look into that and while I'm at it, have myself a full physical since I haven't had one of those in many many years. The new pills are available by prescription only anyway so I would have to go see a doctor.

At 45 years old, I think it's time I really start thinking about my health and quitting smoking and losing weight seem to be a good place to start.

Lisa & Cranky: You have a good point their about quitting cold turkey. It makes a lot of sense. Why prolong the inevitable withdrawals by spending a ton of money on OTC techniques?

CNYMom: I'll talk to you in your journal. I didn't know you quit smoking unless, of course, I read it and forgot. I wouldn't doubt that......lol. Thank you for posting your quitting experience here for me.

Again, thank you all for your advice. If anybody else has any piece of advice to offer........Please feel free to let me know.

Patty
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 16:13
Registered Member

Stats: 000/000/160 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Patty, maybe sleeping for a week isn't such a bad idea. I was absolutely exhausted the first 10 days that I quit and slept all the time.

You may also feel dizzy & lightheaded. That's your body going smoke free too.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 19:22

BF:

Sugar-free mints or gum might not be a bad idea since sweet cravings can be part of the withdrawal process; interestingly the 'buttons' that get pushed by feeding the nicotine craving are similar to those that cause cravings for sugar, so the body can respond to nicotine withdrawal with cravings for sweets. Just something to be aware of in case you do have those cravings so they don't catch you off guard and derail your weight loss efforts. Sugar-free popsicles or Jello may also help if those sudden sweet cravings strike.
You may find yourself more tired during the first week or so (don't plan any mentally demanding activities during that time and make an effort to get adequate sleep) and you may find that you are hugrier or thirstier than usual; if you do, it's okay to drink extra fluids and feed your body and take it as a sign that your body has already begun the process of healing itself and is asking for more nourishment to accomplish that; just don't use it as an excuse to pig out.
Best of success to you!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 19:55
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%
Default q

Hi Patty,
I'm glad that you're making plans on being a non-smoker. It feels so much better, you'll NEVER regret kicking the habit.

Quote:
ou have a good point their about quitting cold turkey. It makes a lot of sense. Why prolong the inevitable withdrawals by spending a ton of money on OTC techniques?

Using NRT *nicotine replacement therapies has a higher success rate than cold turkey. The reason is that you can work on the psychological triggers without having the intensity of the craving with the physical nicotine withdrawl. A trigger is anything that you typically do while smoking. Because they are now connected in your mind, that event (trigger) is now a strong signal to your body that it needs a dose of nicotine. You will have cravings even when you're on the NRT when you get triggered. The psychological aspect of nicotine addiction is very powerful.
NRT lets you consicously address the psychological aspects first, then you taper down the nicotine dose as the cravings become less intense.

I've quit dozens of times, sometimes cold turkey, sometimes NRT but always relapsed after a day or two until this time. This time I did a lot of research at the National Cancer Institute and the American Lung Association websites. Had a plan and took it one day at a time, using NRT and techniques like deep breathing, taping index cards of why I want to quit smoking all over the house and a few other things to keep remembering why I wanted to quit smoking ever present.
It's like the mind says, oh just one cigarette is fine. But, it's not, there's no such thing as one cigarette. I failed too many times believing that lie. This time is for good.

Good luck Patty
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 20:00

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

I've been doing OK w/ the NRT. I combined the gum w/ regular gum and then began to sometimes not have the nicotine gum, just the regular gum (placebo effect). I've been smoke-free since August 8th. I started LCing on Jan 17th.

I'm still using the NRT, but in much smaller quantities. I hope to get rid of it entirely in the coming few months.

Try different things - maybe cold-turkey & then buy some NRT if you find yourself standing in the store getting ready to buy cigs.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 06:44

BF:

I was talking to the grocery manager in work this morning. He is one of the people in work who has quit using the new pill on the market. He says he quit about 7 or 8 weeks ago and has not been taking the pill since the 2nd week of his quit. He says it works on the psychological aspect as well as the physical need for a cigarette and after the 2nd week.....he was done and didn't need it anymore. He says the doctor gives you a months supply of the pills and the good news is our presciption plan covers it. He paid $15.00 for a month supply. I was reading in another thread here that these pills go for $3.80 american dollars a day. Thirty days worth can really add up!!

I just don't understand. If we are a society which is trying to put an end to smoking.......why do you have to have a prescription to get these so called quit remedies. I know you can get a lot of things OTC now but there was a time not long ago when you needed a presciption for those also. I know you can get the gum without a prescription but I'm not even sure if you can get the patch without one?? Maybe someone might know the answer to that one??

Either way.......I really think I need to take a trip to the doctors office and I think that may be something I run by him/her after I demand a complete physical with bloodwork and all!! In the meantime........I haven't been doing to well with cutting down. I see what you mean, Kendra, about the triggers. I have sooooooo many triggers I don't know where to even start. The biggest one is sitting here at the computer like I am doing now. Another one is breaktime at work. It's just so normal for me to just go outside (no matter how freezing cold it is) and have a smoke. The problem is......I like going outside to just give myself a break from being cooped up in the store. To think of not being able to go outside is truly unbearable!! Especially with the nice weather coming up. Another one is eating. I'm so use to having a smoke after I'm done eating. I've been trying to put it off until after the dinner dishes are done lately but I still DO sit down and have a smoke. OMG......the list can go on and on and on!! I might as well just commit myself to the looney bin right now!!......lol. In a straightjacket!!....THIS IS GOING TO BE HARD!!! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!

I WILL DO IT THOUGH!! I'm going to sit down and think this whole thing out right now so I have a backup plan "when" (notice I said "when" and not "should") the urge comes. I don't want to sit here and think unrealistically. I KNOW the urges will be coming and they will be coming in full force. I want to have something to do to keep me busy when they arrive. I was thinking about asking my Mom to refresh my memory of how she taught me to crochet. I thought crochetting might be something to do when the physical urge to have something in my hands strikes.

Anyway.....this is getting very long. I really thank everybody for all their suggestions and PLEASE.....keep them coming!! I think I better copy/paste this to my journal so even I can go back and read it from time to time.

Thanx for listening!! You are all wonderful here!!

Patty
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 07:50

BF:

Sorry......meant to post this in my journal.

Last edited by Ptrcmcc6 : Tue, Mar-20-07 at 08:02.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 07:51

BF:

I guess it's gone forever!! It took me 20 mintues to pour my heart out and write the prelog to it. What a bummer!! I want to cry!! Oh well....I'll remember it in my head!!

Last edited by Ptrcmcc6 : Tue, Mar-20-07 at 08:04.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 08:43

Stats: 203/160/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:Yep it is!
Progress: 81%

I work with several guys that have used the new drug on the market that you were referring to, it is called Chantix. They say they haven't noticed any change in their eating habits at all! I thought that sounded good, so I have the prescription at home, haven't got it filled yet, but my husband is going to get one from his doc so we can do it together!

Good luck to you

Angie
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 10:15
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrcmcc6

I just don't understand. If we are a society which is trying to put an end to smoking.......why do you have to have a prescription to get these so called quit remedies. I know you can get a lot of things OTC now but there was a time not long ago when you needed a presciption for those also. I know you can get the gum without a prescription but I'm not even sure if you can get the patch without one?? Maybe someone might know the answer to that one??
I see what you mean, Kendra, about the triggers. I have sooooooo many triggers I don't know where to even start. The biggest one is sitting here at the computer like I am doing now. Another one is breaktime at work. It's just so normal for me to just go outside (no matter how freezing cold it is) and have a smoke. The problem is......I like going outside to just give myself a break from being cooped up in the store. To think of not being able to go outside is truly unbearable!!
Patty

Hi Patty,
It's really good that you're making plans for your quit. That way you'll know EXACTLY what you'll do when the craving hits you.

Begin NOW by not allowing yourself to smoke in all the usual places. This will begin to break the triggers while you're still smoking...MUCH MUCH easier that way. Also write down all the alternatives that you can do when confronted with a trigger like instead of going out to smoke, go out for a very brisk 3-5 minute walk, maybe another walk after dinner or buy some special bubble bath or spa salts and have a special time for yourself, etc. Whatever you do, write it all down because once you do quit when or if you get a really strong craving, your mind doesn't think clearly and you just won't remember the bad parts about smoking and will forget all of your plans and why you want to do the alternative things instead of grabbing a smoke. The writen notes for you to remind yourself is really powerful, it got me through many rough spots.

The answer to your question regarding OTC NRTs (I asked the same thing when I took the American Cancer Society Quit Smoking Program.) is that they are by prescription only until they have a proven track record as being safe, then because of the reason you mentioned - being of such help to society if access is easier and cheaper - they petition the FDA to become an OTC drug.

Yes, the patch is also OTC. I used the patch and the gum but kept a close eye on the mg of nicotine and never went over the amount I got when I smoked. I did better when I followed the directions in the box. They also have an OTC lozenge, but I don't know if it's sugar free or how it tastes.
The nicotine patch worked really well for me and if someone invented a carbpatch they would billions, no zillions of dollars.

I know that you'll find the perfect quit method that works for you Patty. Keep on wanting to be a non-smoker and making that a stronger desire than the desire to smoke.

Here's a link to a wonderful forum, kinda like this one, but for quitting. It really helped me. http://www.quitnet.com/

Last edited by Kandra : Tue, Mar-20-07 at 10:30.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 11:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandra
Hi Patty,
I'm glad that you're making plans on being a non-smoker. It feels so much better, you'll NEVER regret kicking the habit.

Using NRT *nicotine replacement therapies has a higher success rate than cold turkey.

Kandra, according to this source, that's not an accurate statment. In fact, according to 2003 statistics that the link quotes which came from the American Cancer Society, 91.3% of former smokers quit by going cold turkey as opposed to 6.8% who quit using drug therapy (NRT, Welbutrin) and/or counseling and the data that 'proves' NRT is more effective than quitting cold turkey is somewhat misleading at best.
There is a misconception that withdrawal symptoms from nicotine are dosage related. By that I mean, there is the perception that the more you are smoking and the more nicotine you are used to getting when you quit, the worse the withdrawal will be. That's not so; you will experience roughly the same symptoms if you quit from a low dose of nicotine as you would from a high dose and it will take the same amount of time to clear your bloodstream completely no matter how much you were getting; 72 hours. Your body will protest just as much if you take away a little nicotine that is has become used to as it will if you take away a lot of nicotine that it has become used to.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

Quote:
-Nicotine is a psychoactive drug whose "high" provides a dopamine "aaahhh" sensation and an adrenaline rush. Would you have been able to tell, within 5 minutes, whether the gum or lozenge you'd been given contained the nicotine equilivent of smoking two cigarettes or was instead a nicotine-free placebo? So could they. A 2004 study found that NRT studies suffered from massive wide-spread blinding failures (May 2004)
-A nicotine smoker's natural odds of quitting for six months, entirely on their own, without any products, procedures, education programs, counseling or formal support is roughly 10% (June 2000)
Those using the over-the-counter (OTC) nicotine patch or gum as a stand-alone quitting tool have only a 7% chance of quitting smoking for six months (March 2003)
-Up to 7% of OTC nicotine gum quitters are still chronic users of nicotine gum at six months (May 2004). Question: isn't 7 minus 7 still zero? (May 2004)
36.6% of all current nicotine gum users are chronic long-term users (May 2004)
-You truly would have to be a superhero to quit while using the nicotine patch if you've already attempted using it once and relapsed. The only two patch user "recycling" studies ever conducted have both shown that nearly 100% of second-time nicotine patch users relapse to smoking nicotine within six months (April 1993 and August 1995, see Table 3)
-91.2% of all successful long-term ex-smokers quit entirely on their own without resort to any product, procedure or program of any kind including hypnosis, Zyban, Wellbutrin, acupuncture, magic herbs, laser therapy, or the nicotine patch, gum, lozenge, spray, or inhaler (ACS 2003)
-Education, understanding, new skills and serious support can more than triple your natural six-month odds of 10% (April 2003)
-Those who refuse to allow any nicotine back into their bloodstream have 100% odds of remaining nicotine free today! (Today, Tomorrow & Always!)

Last edited by Lisa N : Tue, Mar-20-07 at 11:39.