Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 15:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/172/112 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Calling Scotland Lo carbers

Hi anyone out there from Bonnie Scotland? What kind of results have you had?Any tips for finding suitable lo carb products?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 02:11

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Scottish Members

I know that there are a few Scottish members on this site. These are some I have found.

Lossiebeth, who comes from Lossiemouth, she does not have a journal, but was active on the site yesterday.

Mrs Moo, from Scotland - joined in August and has a journal.

Dryad, an American living in Scotland - joined in June and has been active on the site in the last week.

Annie54, Glasgow - joined in May, has a journal, but has not been active on the site since mid-June.

Ellmo, Glasgow - joined in March and was last posted on this site in mid July.

Jennym, from NE Scotland, however, she has not been active on this site since mid January.

Scotlass, from aberdeenshire, however, she has also not been active on this site this year.

Scotsman, from north scotland - was last active in May. Has his own journal.

HeatherMcK, from East Kilbride - only made a few posts last October.

Once you have made 25 posts then you will be able to send PMs to other members who have made at least 25 posts. That may help you to talk to other Scottish members. I know there are others around. However, there are lots of us who are very friendly on this site, whether from the UK or elsewhere. We are all here to support you.

You also asked about finding low carb products. In general I do not bother. This life is great just eating protein and vegetables with the addition of mayonnaise, butter, olive oil, etc. You become very good at reading labels on products at the supermarkets. Have a look at the sticky at the top of this forum for some great ideas of low carb products sold in the UK. If you are looking for low carb bars, like Atkins Advantage bars, then you will need to order them on line. There are some UK sites that do them. Peoples comments about them are varied. I've never bothered.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 03:21

BF:
Smile Calling Scotland

Hi Anne Thanks for the info. It is good to contact lo carbers because we really need support. Even though i have lost 13 pounds on atkins i still worry sometimes that it is not really totally healthy.I have read all about Atkins and it seems to make sense but it does attract a lot of adverse publicity.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 14:00

Thumbs up Is Low Carb healthy?

Hi Carsula

Certainly low carb has quite a low profile in the UK, but it is becoming more accepted. More recent research both in the US and UK are beginning to home in on the benefits of this way of life. There was a good piece in the Guardian a couple of weeks ago. See the Media Watch area of the forum for more details.

I have been living this way of life for over a year now and feel really healthy. I have more vegetables and more variety now than I did before and the same goes for the protein I eat.

I suffered very little at all, except when my hormones went ary as part of the peri-menopause, but I don't think I can blame my diet for that.

I was brought up that the body does not need sugar, and have not found it hard to give this up. I never was a bread lover, so giving up flour and products like that has not been hard either. It was really strange to eat a scone last week (with lashings of cream) whilst on my holiday, afterwards my stomach felt very heavy for a long time.

Every success. Why not pop into my journal and read more, particularly at the beginning.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 11:15

Stats: 245/228.5/182
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi there Carsula,

I have been away from this forum for some time and am just returning again. Fell by the wayside. I am from Glasgow living in London and am planning to return to home towards the end of the year. Whilst it's good to have people around this WOE works wherever you are provided you know what you are about and keep a balance.

Personally I don't have a problem when I'm up home around finding the 'right' food. It's about being as imaginative as possible. I did find low cal sausages in both Waitrose and Sainsbury's. I prefer the Sainsbury's - premium pork 1.8G per sausage. Where are you living in Scotland? have you found the FitDay site for counting your food. This has been immensely useful for me and I plan to restart it again after my lapse. Don't hesitate to ask for help and support. Will pop in again once I've got my own act together.

Take care,

Anne
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 15:47

BF:
Smile

hi , thanks for the info, i really appreciate it. What is fit day? I'm not very computer literate. I come from Falkirk area, how about you ??? I'll try out the sausages!!
Thanks again,
Liz
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 01:46

Thumbs up Fitday

Fitday.com is a US website where you can keep track of your food intake and it gives you information on calories, carbs, protein and fat content of foods. I find it really helpful. Here is a link to the site www.fitday.com.

You can also keep track of how many calories you use up each day in the activity section.

You will need to customise it quite a lot as our manufactured foods are often different. You can do this in grams, but most things are either in oz or tablespoons - or the dreaded cup!

I find it a great help and you will see information for it in many peoples journals.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 12:16

BF:
Smile

Hi Thanks for the info. I will check it out.
Cheers
Liz
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 14:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 133/126/112
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Bonnie Scotland

Hi all I am from Scotland (the Highlands) I have been on the diet for 3 weeks. I myself am finding it difficult to find things I have searched our local shops for Soya flour to make pacakes and lecethin granules. I will get them sometime. Nice to know there are other Scots out there keep up the good work UKrose
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 06:19

BF:
Smile

Hi Rose
Thanks for the reply. I cant locate soya flour either. how are you finding the lo carb plan?
Best Wishes
Liz
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 08:51

BF:
Default Lo carb Diet

Hi liz thank you for your reply, I am finding the diet extremely easy I actually cant believe how good it is. I am never hungry I dont miss bread, sugar, I have even stopped putting salt on my food which is unusual for me as I love salt. I suppose all your eating habits just change. I convinced one of my sisters to have a go today she is actually doing the weight watchers diet, and is frightened to change. But she has bought all the goodies in her shopping today so we will see what happens now. UKrose
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 09:15

BF:
Smile

Hi Rosemary

yes i think that it is an amazing w.o.e but you really dont believe it will work at first..Its the only diet that i have been able to stick to. Slimming clubs have never worked for me.I find that I am just not as hungry as I used to be although I still need something sweet in the evening e.g lo cal jelly and cream. Good luck to your sister!

Best Wishes
Liz
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 15:29

Stats: 308/221/199 Female 63 inches
BF:ugh!
Progress: 80%
Default another one in Scotland

Hiya Liz... i stay just up the road from you, in Linlithgow.
Today was my very first day on the Atkins diet... I'm really into it as i've a LOT of weight to lose (prob 10 stone). I feel i did really well my first day... i just hope i can continue it!

Nice to see yous all... i was beginning to think there weren't any others from the UK here.
btw, I was brought up in America, but have lived in Scotland for many years.

All the best!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 13:23

BF:

Nice to see another Scottish person doing the plan. I hope you get on OK I am sure you will love it. by the way I found my soya flour and lechithin granules. But I was disappointed with the pancakes after all that they were very eggy . I have also tried the almond muffins and they were a bit.... well I dont really know, I think I will try mixing the soya and almond flour to try muffins. I suppose you just have to experiment. has anyone any nice puddings I could try out I am getting bored with the jelly and cream. can we use sugar free angel delight or something lemony. UKrose
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 10:25

Stats: 210/145/130
BF:dont wanna know
Progress: 81%
Default Not Quite A Scot But Nearly!

Okay so I am a Yank (Californian) living abroad in Scotland, but I have been in Glasgow for 4 years now studying at the University here, and have been doing Atkins since Sept 2001. It is worth mentioning I have NEVER met another Scot/Brit low-carber, EVER. I have always felt so alone on this WOE in this country. But there are resources available:

I always get my soya flour from Holland & Barrett, as well as some of my supplements, like L Carnitine, etc. I cruise through the aisles every now and then to see if they have stocked LC chocolate (ordered or brought back from the states for special occasions) or bars yet, but still doesn't seem to be enough of a demand to stock them. For now it will be once in a blue moon internet orders.

Anyways it is nice to know that there are some of us following the same plan here in Scotland! Good luck!

Kellie G
210/145/130