Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-29-12, 09:24
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF + IF
Stats: 245/218/140 Female 59in
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Back on the Wagon Again

Hi all,

I'm new to join up, but have been reading here off-and-on for a while. I did my first Atkins-style weight loss in 1981, I think. I was successful then, and kept the weight off for several years until a combination of stress and carelessness took its toll.

Since then, I have never managed to stay on the plan long enough to reach my goal, and I just gain more and more. After a while, I couldn't even get Atkins to "work". Two years ago, I used low fat/vegan plans to lose 50 pounds, and shortly afterwards ended up in the emergency room with a gall bladder attack (the two may be linked, or may not, but I'd never had any particular issues with it before). I determined to resolve my gall bladder issues without surgery, and while I focused on that, all my weight came back.

I have had no gall bladder attacks since January, and I consume fats (good ones, for the most part) without symptoms. However, the explosive weight gain started (this time around) in February.

So, I'm back on the wagon. Started Saturday (always start on a weekend, when I have free access to food). I bought a huge pork roast last week in anticipation of the plan, so there would be plenty available. My weight was actually up on Sunday, but down by Monday, and down further today. I know it's mostly water at this point, but I needed to see it go down.

I'm taking this week off work, not because of the diet, but it helps. I want to be firmly into ketosis before I go back. Makes it much easier to resist temptation. And, besides, the urge to munch will be greatly reduced. My test strips should arrive tomorrow, so I'll be able to monitor my levels through plateaus.

For now, I'm really only using Atkins. Some years back I used Carb Addicts, and eventually got to where I was eating once a day, so I figure Intermittent Fasting can be in my future again. I plan to work into it over time. As for the ?, I've been fascinated by the discussions on Cold Thermogenesis. The idea of plunging my body into ice water doesn't really appeal to me, but the results they claim do.

Wish me luck.
Kenna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-29-12, 09:33
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-29-12, 10:02

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Hi MamaKenna,
Welcome to the forum. Tons of information and support here.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-29-12, 10:34

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Welcome! I personally think that taking a week off work to get into ketosis is a good idea - at least it would be for me. My workplace is always loaded with culinary "landmines" and it would be very hard to focus without the benefit of ketosis. Good Luck this time, I know you'll be sucessful.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 08:50
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you all for the welcome! This site seems like a good place to get encouragement. Family doesn't always "get it". My husband is diabetic, but isn't consistent about keeping his carbs down. He's doing better than he used to, but sometimes he just have to have his carbs.

I didn't decide to take the week off because of the diet, but it does make it that much easier to get into it. I'm looking for food every few minutes during the first few days, and I can find it at home. Work is full of junk food, and not so much of the good stuff. Even the cafeteria doesn't always have low-carb options.

Test strips came, and I'm in ketosis already. I thought so, from the familiar flavor in my mouth, but it's good to be sure. I'll have to be careful not to breathe on anybody for the duration.

I should mention also that I've been reading up on Leptin Reset on a couple of threads around here, and it sounds like something I can incorporate into the plan. That'll make me Atkins+IF+LR+CT? I don't think any of them conflict with each other.

LR means I have a big lo-carb breakfast and don't eat until lunch. No snacks at any time. IF means I skip supper, which I should be able to do if I eat a big lo-carb lunch. CT doesn't seem to dictate what time of day I freeze my butt off, though LR seems to want breakfast to come ahead of anything else.

Does that about sum it up?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 10:43

Plan: Atkins, Keto
Stats: 220/220/130 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome and good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 12:41
Registered Member

BF:

........ well, I'm back ................ Not sure what happened in the meantime, but I gained it all back and then some, without paying a lot of attention to what I was doing.

A couple of months ago, I got a strong feeling that I wasn't going to be around much longer if I didn't get serious and do something right away. Time to get serious.

My brother did some version of PSMF (protein-sparing modified fast) using shake mixes, etc. (maybe Optifast?) last year, with dramatic results. I looked for a version that uses normal foods for most of it, and decided on Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss.

I started Aug 3 with 6 days of Atkins-style Induction, then switched over to RFL. LM recommends 2 "relief meals" per week at this stage, and a break of 1-2 weeks every 6-12 weeks. Among other things, planning your "cheats" apparently makes it easier to get back on plan. I intend a 1-week break in October, after 9 weeks, and probably a 2-week break at Christmas after 9 more weeks on plan.

In case anybody's interested, this plan bases its calculations on estimated Lean Body Mass. For people with average bone structure and musculature (not me!), it can be approximated using height, I think. His website has a calculator to do the conversion. I lied to it to get a number I thought was realistic at the time - now I think the actual value is probably about halfway between the two numbers. I'll redo the calculations in October before I restart. And, over Christmas, I plan to look up a place that will do Body Fat Percentage measurements to get a more accurate number.

The plan is 1g protein per pound of LBM per day, eat non-starchy vegetables at every meal, and limit fat and carbs to 5g (or less) each, per meal. It's not a lot of food. Some days are hard, but over all, it hasn't been as hard as I expected. And the scales have been kind to me.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 20:38
Registered Member

BF:

Well, it has been awhile. (looks around, brushes dust from the pixels) I've had an eventful 5 years since that last post.

I retired. My husband planned to join me in some projects I always wanted to do, but then got cold feet and wanted to continue working until he was 70, and THEN we could do all that. He was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer at 65, so I'm on my own, trying to figure out which of those things I can actually do by myself.

Strictly speaking, I'm not doing Atkins induction level low carb, most of the time. I do it on the lead-up to an IF session, but when I do OMAD, I don't worry much about the low carb aspect. If/when the weight loss stalls, I'll get stricter about it.

Motivation: Obamacare motivated me to look at other medical insurance options, so I joined Liberty Healthshare, a Christian health-sharing ministry. Because of my physical condition, they insist that I undergo "coaching" to help me achieve "my" health goals. At this point, my biggest goal is to reduce my weight so that I am no longer required to submit to coaching. That's 150lb.

So, I freely admit I'm doing this for the wrong reasons, but I really am looking forward to being able to stand up without groaning (already seeing some improvement there!), and having energy to do more than veg out on weekends (got a ways to go there). And if I can get back to the 125lb or so I weighed in my college days, so much the better. I haven't really set a final goal yet. Figure I'll know when I get there.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 21:35

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

There is no wrong reason.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-18, 19:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
There is no wrong reason.

Thank you! You are such an encouragement.

I'm hopeful that the coach will keep me motivated, in spite of her obvious horror at the protocol I've chosen. As long as I'm making progress, I can get by with monthly sessions.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-18, 02:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back, MammaKenna,
Sorry to hear of the stress and loss you have endured these past five years. There have been many new versions of a LCHF Diet and support for IF in that time, more health coaches will promote a reduced carbohydrate plan, more books and websites with health advice. The two week challenge on DietDoctor is a good way to re-commit to a Ketogenic Diet, and with fasting, the IF part is easier if the foods remain very low carb. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb You already know there is a great deal of information and support on this forum, let us know how to help.
All the best,