Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 07:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Griddle Muffins

If, like me, you long for that crispy texture so hard to get from the microwave mug recipes.

This might be baked, though I haven't tried it yet: stovetop prep is suitable in any weather, and I find it quicker.

This is based on the board founder's cinnamon toast recipe. Here's your basic ingredients, in order:
  • Half package of 5 oz. size pork rinds, coarsely crushed (I use a sturdy mug) or blendered, which makes for a finer texture and more subtle flavor
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup sour cream

Then I add 1 cup of berries, because they are low sugar and low prep. Besides being my favorite fruit.

But the sky is the limit for muffin additions, isn't it? Lily's chocolate chips (with stevia). Any chopped fruit which agrees with you; for instance, chopping up raisins spreads the flavor without needing lots of them. The flat surface makes it easy to sprinkle on spices. Put it on the uncooked batter side when you first put the batter on the griddle or pan.

Savory? Certainly. I don't use any sweetener in the base recipe because the fruit is enough for me. Bacon bits or finely chopped ham works well. Sliced deli ham is good for that.

Shredded cheese! I add sharp shredded cheddar and Old Bay seasoning for a cheddar biscuit kind of experience.

I let the griddle get hot on medium heat with lots of butter. I'm not neat sometimes, I just plop it all on and cut it into portions as it browns up. Grill the batter like pancakes. When the bottom is brown, flip. Easy to see when it's done.

I eat them as-is since they are already browned in butter.

They keep well in a sealed bag or container. They microwave with minimal loss of crust action. Use low power. Haven't tried freezing but I don't see why not.

You could bake them, I guess? Haven't tried it because grilling does the crispy crust part so well.

Dairy an issue? The original recipe uses heavy cream, but I prefer sour cream. However, I'd give mayo a try, or coconut cream, or any of the other subs, since it's not a large amount and does not contribute to any rising. The crushed pork rinds are the structure.

These are SO tasty and satiating. This recipe makes enough for two big breakfasts for me. Fantastic with coffee or tea.

Base recipe breaks out this way, TOTAL:

Calories 329
Fat 24.6 g
Protein 22 g
Carbs 2 g

Which is very keto friendly Enjoy!
Sponsored Links