Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-21, 09:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I took the Grassroots D3 blood test and came in just under at 92. That was up from under 32 a few years ago.

I was taking 10,000 iu a day, so I'm taking a wee vacation from daily d3 until and then going back to 5,000 iu. I found a K2/D3 supplement and take that now.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-21, 11:47

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Nancy - what's the ideal range for D3 levels?
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-21, 04:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
Nancy - what's the ideal range for D3 levels?

Without a consensus about even needing Vit D supplementation, no agreement on levels for general wellness. For reduction of breast cancer risk, there are studies doctors can follow. My doctor recommends over 50, but not over 100. https://health.ucsd.edu/news/releas...ast-cancer.aspx. In Ivor's presentation above, he used 32-50 for general immunity and wellness. The long-standing Vit D thread here, has many more ideas. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=396439

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-27-21 at 05:01.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-21, 08:59

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd Nancy - what's the ideal range for D3 levels?

When the hematologist does my blood work each year, I am supplied with a chart that shows my values against the standard range. According to my chart of my bloodwork, the standard range for Vitamin D 25-OH is between 30-100 ng/ml.

I was a little low in vitamin D levels in 2018 as you can see by my results below. In 2018 my levels were 22 ng/mL. I was told to take 4,000 units of D3 a day with a meal. My levels came up to 42.7 the next year and 60 this past year. I did make an effort to get some daily sunshine in 2020 which is why it may have come up to 60.

8/1/18 22 ng/mL
7/31/19 42.7 ng/mL
7/29/20 60 ng/mL

Standard Range Vitamin D 25-OH is 30 - 100 ng/mL

I googled it to see what Mr. Google would say about it and this is what I found:

Quote:
The most accurate way to measure how much vitamin D is in your body is the 25-hydroxy vitamin D blood test. A level of 20 nanograms/milliliter to 50 ng/mL is considered adequate for healthy people. A level less than 12 ng/mL indicates vitamin D deficiency.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-21, 11:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There's loads of speculation out there, but I heard that between 50-80 was best for cancer prevention.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-21, 12:23

Thanks all! I probably could have waited until I get the results from my blood work that is happening next week but ... instant gratification won out. LMAO!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-21, 21:05

Got blood work 2/2. Vit D is 64, up from 50 in 2016 (last time it was tested).
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-21, 22:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Looks like your bod is ready to fight off both Covid-19 and cancer !

Still not hearing anything more about using vit D3 to boost immune system . Last visit to Walmart a couple days ago had oodles of bottles of vit D3, like in several slots and spilling over to any empty slots. Not sure what this means. WM purchasing more? Or demand down ?

Of course, no K2 again. Have checked 3 times..,.....

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Feb-04-21 at 12:19.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-21, 07:56
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

There have been quite a few studies on vitamin D3 and COVID on the Grassroots Health blog.

D3 is great for the immune system and can prevent or protect against negative effects of contracting COVID, including preventing death.

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/bl...-dose-immunity/.

Being over 65, Black, obese, and with high blood pressure I'm now taking 50,000 IU D3 5/week along with vitamin A, K2, and magnesium.

I will reduce to 2-3/week when spring gets here. My usual advice is, if you are White, to take 2/week fall-winter and 1/week spring-summer. If you are Black, add an additional 1/week to the recommendation. Even extra may be needed for a term or forever if chronic health conditions, past cancer, or a family history of cancer exist.

Dr. Holick, premier vitamin D3 expert in Boston keeps his D3 levels around 120. That's the level I shoot for.

Optimum health is considered 60-80. For cancer prevention or if you have ever had cancer 85-100 is considered optimum.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Fri, Feb-05-21 at 06:50.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-21, 08:31

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
There have been quite a few studies on vitamin D3 and COVID on the Grassroots Health blog.

D3 is great for the immune system and can prevent or protect against negative effects of contracting COVID, including preventing death.

Thank you, Zuleikaa! Your health insights have been so helpful.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-21, 08:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The link in Zuleikaa's post leads to a video of Dr. Renu Mahtani explaining the vitamin D3 health benefits and dosage recommendations. We've posted this video in another vitamin D thread in this forum, and I highly recommend viewing it, as it's one of the better descriptions of why people require vitamin D and provides dosage guidelines as well. If you haven't seen it, it's well worth your time.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-21, 12:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/bl...-dose-immunity/.

Being over 65, Black, obese, and with high blood pressure I'm now taking 50,000 IU D3 5/week along with vitamin A, K2, and magnesium.

I will reduce to 2-3/week when spring gets here. My usual advice is, if you are White, to take 2/week fall-winter and 1/week spring-fall. If you are Black, add an additional 1/week to the recommendation. Even extra may be needed for a term or forever if chronic health conditions, past cancer, or a family history of cancer exist.

Dr. Holick, premier vitamin D3 expert in Boston keeps his D3 levels around 120. That's the level I shoot for.

Optimum health is considered 60-80. For cancer prevention or if you have ever had cancer 85-100 is considered optimum.

My take away is 85-100 may be a good prevention of cancers. Sooo that level makes more sense to me.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-21, 12:28

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

A Lac (or Lakh) unit is 100,000 in the Indian numbering system. It is interesting that they seem to have larger IU doses available in India. She mentions that in the West (US/Canada) megadoses are used, but this seems to only happen in hospital/medical settings. I've heard of megadoses of Magnesium injected in people having heart attacks, yet the VitD & Mg recommendations for the Western masses are very low. Why wait until people are on the verge of death to try helping them?

8 yrs ago my cat developed chronic kidney disease with hyperthyroidism and my vet was the first one who told me that D3 was a hormone that could mitigate symptoms like inflammation. My boy lived another 6 yrs, to age 21.5, with chronic renal failure, with daily Calcitriol (D3) supplementation.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Feb-04-21 at 16:30.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-21, 06:13

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
UK keeping research on link between vitamin D and Covid under review

Matt Hancock asks PHE and Nice to keep reviewing emerging evidence as authorities encourage use of supplements

The link between vitamin D and Covid is being kept under review by the UK health secretary as more studies suggest that having low levels of the “sunshine hormone” raises the risk of death.

Matt Hancock has asked the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice), which sets NHS England clinical guidelines, and Public Health England (PHE) to keep researching emerging evidence, after the authorities began “encouraging” people to take vitamin D supplements rather than merely “advising” it.

Nice has twice said there was not sufficient causal evidence to support the use of vitamin D in high doses in hospitals to treat or prevent the respiratory illness.

However, recent pilot and observational studies have suggested positive effects. A Queen Mary University of London study recently found that vitamin D supplementation significantly protects against respiratory illness.

But experts do not believe sufficient evidence has emerged since the last review to make Nice recommend its use in clinical settings, given the parameters it requires, and called for the government to urgently fund high-quality research amid an apparent global reluctance.

Prof Jon Rhodes, an emeritus professor of medicine at the University of Liverpool, said: “It is clearly established that vitamin D deficiency is common in the UK, particularly at this time of year, and it is associated with immune dysfunction that can be corrected by supplementation that is cheap and safe.

“Even if evidence suggesting that vitamin D deficiency increases risk of severe Covid-19 is largely indirect, to ignore it is taking a foolish and unnecessary risk.”

The Lancet said in an editorial on vitamin D last month: “In an ideal world, all health decisions would be made based on overwhelming evidence, but a time of crisis may call for a slightly different set of rules.”

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: “Evidence of the link of vitamin D to Covid-19 is still being researched and we keep all strong evidence on treatments under review.”

Hancock has said previously that “a number of studies indicate vitamin D might have a positive impact in protecting against Covid-19”, while PHE for the first time last month said it may reduce the risk of respiratory illnesses.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...min-d-and-covid
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-21, 04:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Finally paying attention to this: after decades of "stay out of the sun!"

I learned about its importance right here, and it has done wonders for me.