Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 09:39

Plan: SBD
Stats: 186.6/154.6/140 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Seriously Considering a Change to SB

Hi Everyone - I have been on Atkins since Feb 8th and have done really well on it. I'm proud of my progress and have climbed a couple of rungs of OWL briefly. To put it mildly, I'm actually pretty scared to keep things around for very long. The problem is, I think I'd like a little more structure in a plan, that has a little more variety.

Thus, I am thinking of moving to South Beach. I read the book many moons ago, and will read it again. What I'd love to hear from you guys is the benefits/issues with moving from Atkins to South Beach.

South Beach seems like something I could stay on forever. Honestly...I miss fruit, yogurt, oatmeal. That's really the majority of what I would love to add back gradually. With Atkins, I'm just afraid to add stuff back; I hope that makes sense!

Any tips and advice (good or bad) on whether to make the transition? I've accepted that my weight loss may slow down (although I've only lost a pound in a month, so maybe it's a good time to move) and would enjoy a bit more variety - especially through the summer months. Thoughts on this you, SB peeps?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 11:49

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 150/145/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 14%

I'm in the same boat. I have been a doing low-carb moderate/high-fat diet for years and frankly, I'm bored.

I read the SBD book and was blown away! Good carbs, good fats.. sounds good to me! I can have my whole wheat mini bagels in the morning again haha
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 12:56
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Hello Ladies!

I'm glad that you are both considering following SBD. It is the plan where I found my success.
But just so you know, I have knocked all wheat out of my diet as a whole. I allow myself a NYC bagel once in a long while but its a rare treat to me today.

The starches ( all of them)become an aspect of our food, not the main piece of it. They used to be the main part of my food, now they are a small side if anything at all.

If you are switching from Atkins Induction, its best to start SB with its own Phase I as this will raise your carb level substanially from 20 grams a day to about 60. Raising carb levels need to be done slowly...very s-l-o-w-l-y...or you may see gain.
Take a look at the meal plan guide for phase I as that will show you exactly how to follow it for ther 2 weeks. Its located with the food lists in the weighin thread.

Ask more questions....thats how you learn.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 13:45

BF:

Judy - thank you so much for responding. I emailed my hubby this morning about making a change and we'll talk more about it tonight. Reasonably, I'll probably stay on Atkins one more week until I can get the book and shop appropriately.

While I am super excited about going in this direction (man I really miss yogurt and oatmeal! Sounds ridiculous, I"m sure!) I am also pretty scared with the idea of a different WOE. I fully intend to start with Phase I because it is already more carbs than what I am used to eating.

A few questions come to mind:
1. Should I expect some initial weight gain (most likely water) as I transition? I am guessing there is a potential since I am in ketosis now.
2. How long should I stay in Phase I? Is it like Atkins where I can stay there as long as I feel necessary or should I transition more quickly?
3. What kind of vitamins/supplements do you take that you feel are necessary?

I'm finally at the point where my weight is good...although still overweight, so coming off more slowly is fine with me. I just want to "relearn" how to eat successfully with this WOE forever. I wasn't doing that so well on Atkins.

Thank you for your help. I've read so many threads and the meal plans and plan to read more this weekend. I'm excited
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 14:01

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 150/145/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 14%

Great info guys!! I have a question as well -

What is the purpose of the phase 1, except for the encouragement of fast weight loss? I am about 25-30lbs overweight right now, but still at what I would consider a healthy weight, just on the the big side.
So like Mjhoss, I am ok with slow loss, as long as there is really LOSS. I also have no cravings and am very happy eating a very healthy diet that follows SB.
Is phase 1 necessary? At this point, I get sick at the thought of more eggs without a piece of whole wheat toast, and it's to the point where I am thinking of just giving up and trying something else.

Thoughts?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 14:48
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
A few questions come to mind:
1. Should I expect some initial weight gain (most likely water) as I transition? I am guessing there is a potential since I am in ketosis now.
2. How long should I stay in Phase I? Is it like Atkins where I can stay there as long as I feel necessary or should I transition more quickly?
3. What kind of vitamins/supplements do you take that you feel are necessary?

1-Actually No, I don't think that you'll see gain when you follow the plan with portion controls on certain foods.
2- phase I- do the full 2 weeks to allow your body to acclimate to the new and additonal carb levels.
**I do not think that staying in phase I longer than that is necessary but doing the full 2 weeks does give you a sense of what it is like as a tool for weight management also. I float between all the phases now in maintenance and if I hadn't done all of them, I wouldn't know how to do that.**
3- Here's what I take and please consider than I'm in menopause and older than you.
Daily am-
Estroven Energy
Potassium
zinc
glutamate
cal/mag
Nightly pm-
estroven nightime w/ valerian and melatonin ( sleep aids)
d3
potassium
cal/mag
extra magnesium
potassium
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 14:55
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclarklmt
Great info guys!! I have a question as well -

What is the purpose of the phase 1, except for the encouragement of fast weight loss? I am about 25-30lbs overweight right now, but still at what I would consider a healthy weight, just on the the big side.
So like Mjhoss, I am ok with slow loss, as long as there is really LOSS. I also have no cravings and am very happy eating a very healthy diet that follows SB.
Is phase 1 necessary? At this point, I get sick at the thought of more eggs without a piece of whole wheat toast, and it's to the point where I am thinking of just giving up and trying something else.

Thoughts?

I think that phase I is necessary if nothing more than to learn the plan first before you add in starches.
If you are jonesing so bad for whole wheat toast, why not just have it...but limit it to 1 slice and don't eat it daily.
The first time I had wheat after my phase I, it left me ravenous for the entire day. I decided then that I could do without it.
Its your body and you have to see what works best for it and you, nobody can tell you that as you are your own science experiment.

As far as eggs for breakfast? Think outside of the traditional breakfast box....tuna salad works for me as does cottage cheese with chopped fresh veggies or hummus with fresh veggies too.
Leftovers from dinner last night? Yup, have them for breakfast!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 15:57

BF:

You've been a great help, Judy! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start....thank you so much!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 16:20
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhoss
You've been a great help, Judy! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start....thank you so much!

Your welcome!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 23:59

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I just wanted to say that I found that the extra carbs revved up my metabolism. Of course, I need to add that I am hypothyroid and it is now known that VLC may not be the best choice for folks with thyroid issues. After over a year of trying to get below 140, I felt a definite sense of relief to have navel oranges, field peas, carrots and sweet potatoes added back to my plan because I love all of these foods. I can't say that I have beans as often as the plan recommends, but can say I learned to have veggies much more often (like sauteed squash and onions as part of breakfast) and my gut sure appreciates it!

Finally, like Judy, I avoid wheat but will occassionally have a fried food as a treat. I live on the coast so fried seafood is to me like Judy's occassional NYC bagel.

(I am cracking up still that Judy knows what "jonesing" is! I hear ya Cheech!!! LOL!)
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 07:45
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie
(I am cracking up still that Judy knows what "jonesing" is! I hear ya Cheech!!! LOL!)

Really?
Its a word from my generation...we started this whole thing!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 10:19

BF:

You ladies have been such an encouragement, I can't begin to explain it! I talked to hubby last night and he agreed that a change would be good and a change to south beach if that's what I chose. Since I do the cooking and grocery shopping, I guess he didn't have much of a choice, but I like to give him the appearance of having a choice!!

Anyway - getting the book tonight and we're starting SB after the holiday...all the Atkins fatty meats should be gone by then!

I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you all!