Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#481   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-13, 17:16

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah1080
Hi all - psyched I just found this thread - been sober 6 years this month. LC for about a year, now need to work on smoking. Man what do people with non-addictive personalities spend all their energy on

Welcome Sarah! And CONGRATS!! What a blessing each and every day of sobriety is! I had to laugh when I read your last sentence! SO TRUE! LOL!

Compared to all the time the folks have that have posted on this thread I am a newbie... it will be 19months in a week. But yet already there are So many blessings in my life to be thankful.

If only I could get the eating back under control..I have gained a WHOPPING 33 lbs since my lowest which was the week I got sober. 33lbs in 19 months?!?! YIKES. Yep I have been back to my HC eating and can't seem to get a grip. My sponseo says this is somewhat normal early on and not to stress about it. I was able to do that somewhat the first 12 months..but now I'm starting to freak out a little bit..ok, A LOT. If I dont' find a way to get this under control I will be back at 300+lbs in no time....a little weight gain is understandable..but this is ridiculous...anyways thanks for allowing me to vent here...with the the few people who truly understand. HUGS. ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Last edited by gweny70 : Wed, May-01-13 at 06:31.
Sponsored Links
  #482   ^
Old Wed, May-01-13, 06:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/159.2/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweny70
Welcome Sarah! And CONGRATS!! What a blessing each and every day of sobriety is! I had to laugh when I read your last sentence! SO TRUE! LOL!

Compared to all the time the folks have that have posted on this thread I am a newbie... it will be 19months in a week. But yet already there are So many blessings in my life to be thankful.

If only I could get the eating back under control..I have gained a WHOPPING 33 lbs since my lowest which was the week I got sober. 33lbs in 19 months?!?! YIKES. Yep I have been back to my HC eating and can't seem to get a grip. My sponsor says some weight gain, etc is "normal" this early on and not to stress about it. I was able to do that somewhat the first 12 months..but now I'm starting to freak out a little bit..ok, A LOT. If I dont' find a way to get this under control I will be back at 300+lbs in no time....a little weight gain is understandable..but this is ridiculous...anyways thanks for allowing me to vent here...with the the few people who truly understand. HUGS. ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Huge congrats on your 19 monthes - that's pretty major!!! I put on a ton of weight after I got sober (hadn't yet met low carb) and I think i remember some of the talks from rehab discussing how a recovering alcoholic and addict craves sugar 0- more so even than the general carb consuming public

You'll get there with the eating though, I find I usually have to laser focus on one life improvement at a time and once its become so routine as to be like background noise only THEN can I expect to successfully embark on my next improvement

Hope you find a baalnce/routine that works for you

Congrats again and wishing you a great week!!

Sarah
  #483   ^
Old Wed, May-01-13, 06:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah1080
Huge congrats on your 19 monthes - that's pretty major!!! I put on a ton of weight after I got sober (hadn't yet met low carb) and I think i remember some of the talks from rehab discussing how a recovering alcoholic and addict craves sugar 0- more so even than the general carb consuming public

You'll get there with the eating though, I find I usually have to laser focus on one life improvement at a time and once its become so routine as to be like background noise only THEN can I expect to successfully embark on my next improvement

Hope you find a baalnce/routine that works for you

Congrats again and wishing you a great week!!

Sarah

Thanks Sarah! I believe I heard that about addicts and sugar craving also. Doesn't help all those donuts at morning meetings and candy dishes at my women's meetings. LOL.

I concur with the focusing on one area at a time. My sponsor said the same thing..and I know my sobriety is the most important area now and always. Without that all the other areas won't matter..or for that matter exist. Thanks so much for the encouragement! I'm so glad to hear that you've been able to find that balance and I am inspired by your 6 years and the balance you've obviously found in your life. I hope to be able to do the same.

Thanks for sharing your encouragement, strength and hope! It means a lot!

Have a great week!!
  #484   ^
Old Thu, May-30-13, 09:52
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi Y'all!

Congrats on 19 months!!! As well as the 6 years!!

I think you are both doing fantastic! On both fronts.

would definitely agree that in your first year or 2 you eat a lot of sugar and its pretty common to gain weight. I gained weight my first few months and then just sort of kept trying to take it off to no avail until right after 2 years. I started to LC, take the steps, and really got active in program and the fellowship and my life just sort of blossomed.

From 2 to 3 yrs I lost the weight and maintained it for years. But I think carbs are much like drugs and alcohol...it is such a slippery slope. Cunning, baffling and powerful.
  #485   ^
Old Thu, May-30-13, 10:36

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hey there Gweny!

Congrats on 19 Months. I have 18 Months :-)

I was a sugar addict the moment I stopped drinking but my sponsor told me to not worry, it's normal, and once you've got the sobriety a little bit stronger then you can work on the next thing.

I also started smoking more heavily and again, once I was on stable ground with my drinking, could start tackling that. It still seems to be a struggle as it is the one thing I can do socially now that I don't drink. But at the end of the day, it's all in our heads!!

One great book for stopping smoking is the Alan Carr book. If you've not read it - google it!! Well worth the read.

I was lucky in that I'd been down the LC WOL long before my drinking got out of control so once I'd got my head around not eating only chocolate and candy daily, it was an old habit I could get back into. Not been perfect, but looking at my profile, I got back on it June 4th last year which was my 6 month mark so although I've wavered a bit, I'm happy to have this as my core 'diet'.

Good Luck one and all, and congrats on all those years of sobriety!! One day at a time - and first things first.

PG!!!
  #486   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 14:41
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Glad to see all the 'new' folks on this thread - I was MIA (health problems) for a few months, so just stopping back by! ODAAT.
  #487   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-13, 07:33

HI everyone! Just stopping by to say HI and see how everyone is doing?! I just had the blessing of celebrating 2years on Oct 7. I'm still dealing with the food/sugar things but thrilled about the other truly more significant & important changes in my life as a result of sobriety.

Sending love and prayers to all!

~Gwen
  #488   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 11:52
Clueless. ODAAT.

Kicking this thread to the top, in case there are any new LC Friends of Bill W. - have a sober day! ;
  #489   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 18:59
Clueless. ODAAT.

Time for the semi-annual boot of the FOBW thread!

I just celebrated 11 years on December 29th! Woot!
  #490   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-15, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoDiva
Time for the semi-annual boot of the FOBW thread!

I just celebrated 11 years on December 29th! Woot!

Wooowhoooo! That is AMAZING!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just celebrated 3 years back on Oct 7, 2014!
  #491   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-15, 07:29

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Didn't know this thread existed. This year will be my 30th anniversary. And still very grateful.
  #492   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-15, 14:13
Clueless. ODAAT.

Yay us! Isn't the sober life amazing?
  #493   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: modified S.B./Semi-Veggie
Stats: 206/153/145 Female 64 "
BF:too much to count
Progress: 87%

Just found this thread I just celebrated 2 years the 13th !
  #494   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-15, 09:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

New Podcast: Nutrition to Support Sobriety.
This low budget Radio Show from the Twin Cities has basic, weekly nutrition advice.

http://www.weightandwellness.com/radio-show/

This week a minister was interviewed about how she was able to get back on track by renewing her commitment to low carb nutrition, adding pro-biotics after a course of antibiotics and pain meds that led to cravings, the sugar/carb links, etc. Maybe nothing you don't know already, but i thought it one of their better podcasts.
  #495   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 04:47

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

30 years ago, I graduated from Betty Ford. Best month of my life.