Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 13:38

Plan: atkins nutritional
Stats: 140// Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default "just the cheese crunchy baked natural cheese snacks"?

has anyone tried these "just the cheese crunchy baked natural cheese snacks"? They have only one carb per serving. They have a lot of sodium though. The website on the pack in www.specialcheese.com. They have a lot of calories, so I think I may stick with pork rinds as a crunchy treat, but who knows.
here are the nutrition facts for these mini snack (they are like quarter size rice cakes in a way)
cal. 150
total fat=13g
sat. fat=7g
cholest=50mg
sodium=600 mg!!!!
carb=1g
protein=10g.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 13:58
Low Carbing Diva

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/296/250 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Gross

Yes I've tried the cheesy crunchy snack and i don't like it. It left a nasty/funky aftertaste in my mouth.
never again
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 14:11
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I didn't care for them, either. You can actually make your own cheese "chips" by slicing some cheddar thin and putting it on a plate, then microwaving until it's bubbly and starting to crisp up around the edges (you can also do this in a pan on the stovetop so you can watch it better, if you prefer). Take it out and remove the cheese with a spatula (or knife, if it's already too hard) and let it cool, then break into cracker-sized "chips."

It's good with provolone, too.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 15:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/142/120 Female 5'5"
BF:?%/27%/cur20%18%
Progress: 44%

I have had them before and actually keep a bag in my drawer at work incase I get stuck and need a some legal food (they are better than bars!)

They are a bit high in sodium, even the low sodium ones. I think they are alright for an occasional food, just not an every day thing.
Taste wise I think they are pretty good (sorry I know I am in the minority).
Some of the health foods stores by me carry them, so perhaps you could try to locate some that way instead of ordering them.
Also, I beleive netrition.com carries them as well (they have pretty good deals too).
Good luck!
Kristen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 16:17

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 211/198/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary M
I didn't care for them, either. You can actually make your own cheese "chips" by slicing some cheddar thin and putting it on a plate, then microwaving until it's bubbly and starting to crisp up around the edges (you can also do this in a pan on the stovetop so you can watch it better, if you prefer). Take it out and remove the cheese with a spatula (or knife, if it's already too hard) and let it cool, then break into cracker-sized "chips."

It's good with provolone, too.

Do you have to refridgerate them? I am thinking so, but just checking.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 16:26

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

No refrigeration required. The only one I like is the white cheddar cheese one, and agree it is an emergency item - puff up like a blow fish from the sodium. I noticed also that they used to say TWO servings at 150 calories each, now they say 4 servings at 75 calories each - and the carb count is still 1 per serving so I'm guessing people may have challenged their carb count. Expensive, but when you are sitting on a plane that has been delayed it is great to have along for the ride!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 16:42

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I absolutely LOVE them!! The honey dijon are my favorite!! I only eat them every couple of months when we are having a "family game night" and the kids and Hubby are eating the chips and breadsticks and stuff..but I love them!! I am going to try to make the homemade ones myself tonight!!! yippeee
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 17:21
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I looked at them, but the cost drove me away without even trying one.

I love getting the cheese chips at work from after making the chedar bagles. The only problem is the pan used has a light dusting of corn meal in some places to prevent sticking, so not sure how much that effects carb count.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 17:38

Plan: atkins nutritional
Stats: 140// Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

oh wow! I think I am going to have to try the cheese chips that you can make on your own! That sounds so good! Thank you Hilary M!!!!!

The price of these cheese snacks were rather high in my local grocery store! I agree with the outragoues price!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 17:43
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I bought them a couple times when I needed something salty...and MAN, did I get my money's worth there! I tried the bacon ones and the nacho cheese. There's still 3/4 of a bag languishing on my "spent too much on it to just toss it but it'll probably turn to dust before I eat it" shelf.

Too salty, and made me a bit queasy.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 19:09
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5 feet 1.5 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default cheeses chips

We don't seem to have these pre-made cheese chips in Canada, but I too have made my own baked cheese and it is PHENOMENAL!!!!! I dip it in sourcream, guacamole, pico de gallo, you name it! I have even put a bunch on a plate and covered it with nacho stuff like ground beef, lettuce, broccoli (not very taco-ish, I know!) etc. and called it Nachos! THese are my favorite low-carb, high protien snack! Pork Rinds get a little nasty after a while especially if you get a bit of that cartilidge in them.....
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 06:00

Stats: 223/163/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/25%/23%
Progress: 77%

Very filling and I liked them. I bit salty but I thought very good.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 06:52
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I don't know if you have to refrigerate the homemade ones or not....mine never last long enough to present that problem! I usually only make a single serving at a time. I would guess they don't need refrigeration, but I'm not sure about that...
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 14:53

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

They are gross as hell
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 19:02
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

I can't stand them, either. Just the smell grosses me out. And they're so salty I can't eat more than one without wanting to be sick.