Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 18:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%
Default philly steak & cheese sub(less) - good but i need help!

i LOVE steak & cheese subs, & can eat all the good stuff out & toss the bread. however, the cheese absorbes into the bread so there is not enough for me to eat and I'm Against That. cheese is Essential, i'm thinking here. so i'm trying to make a 1 pan steak & cheese dish. it came out pretty well, but i'm thinking it needs a bit more of a 'cream' base. please try it out & tell me what it's needing!

1 box of 16 sandwich steaks
6 oz swiss cheese (i think it needed more)
1/4 sliced red pepper
1/4 sliced onion (i'm on induction, trying to keep the onion & pepper to a min)
2 tablespoons mayo
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
lots of steak seasoning (i like paul prudhome's)

i sauteed the veg in butter till just tender, then removed (leaving the butter). put in all the frozen sandwich steaks & just kept flipping and shredding with the fork till i had a nice batch of shredded steak. the entire time, i sprinkled the steak seasoning.

when near done, i tore the cheese into strips & added, stiring to let it melt evenly (i let it sit out on the counter while the meat was cooking so it was slightly soft). when meat was no longer pink, i added back in the veg, the mayo & the mustard.

well let me tell ya, it's pretty good and tastes very close to the meat & veg in the sandwich. but it's missing something. some kind of 'base'. i think i ALMOST got it (won't keep me from taking it to lunch tomorrow though).

i love how people here can posts ideas or recipes and everyone just runs with it, so i'm hoping some folks will try it out and jack around with it!

WHAT IS IT MISSING? hellllp
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 07:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Wow! To me it looks really good!
I'm like you I would add a lot of cheese!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 10:01

Plan: atkins/my own
Stats: 224/190/175 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress:
Talking How to make AND EAT a Cheesesteak (NOT STEAK AND CHEEESE!)

Ok, I'm from Philadelphia so I can tell you how to properly make and eat a low carb cheesesteak.

Of course you can put whatever you like on it but theres one sacred rule you broke-never put mayo on a cheesesteak!! Thats like asking the pope if he's married.

You can break up the frozen steak first into thin strips and then start cooking it and keep shredding it up as you are. To be honest I cant seem to shred it up right. I'm almost positive it is only done with a metal spatula.

If you want onions or peppers do that on the side, not mixed with the meat. Also season them only with salt, pepper, a little garlic powder/salt.

Make sure to turn the steak over and flip it so it cooks evenly. As soon as theres no more pink left place the cheese on top of the meat to let it melt. DONT TOUCH IT! You can use American, provolone or if you want to splurge-cheese whiz which is the really the best.

After the cheese has melted put it on a plate, add the vegtables if you fried some, season with some salt, pepper and thats it.

I highly recommed the chicken steaks if they are available in your area-less greasy, healtheir and taste just as good if not better. Let me know,

Last edited by Karen : Tue, Nov-04-03 at 10:19.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 21:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 524/524/325 Male 71"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Stir fry your veggies (usually onion,green pepper, mushroom for me) remove from pan and cook the meat, season both with salt and pepper and when it is about done put under the broiler for a short time to crisp up the edges of some of the meat. then readd the veggies and top with cheese, provolone or mozzerella my preferences, back under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese, hit with S&P again and for an addition you may like to add some fresh lettuce and tomato.

dave
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 18:53

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

You talked me into it...
First I've been craving a good cheessteak since I started the program... i use to have one a week.

Today I walk into a co-workers cube, and he's eating one... I had to leave, I couldn't stand being that close to one.

Then I come home, thinking I'll have my left-over chili... but I see this thread. i couldn't hold out any longer, I rushed to the food store, picked up everything.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the roll... but this cured the craving. I cooked the onions in the frying pan first, till they were just starting to turn translucent, then dumped them out onto a plate. Then cooked the steak with a little olive oil, adding salt, pepper and garlic powder. Then i mixed the onions back in, covered with cheese (Wiz if your a traditionalist, I went for provolone, but American is also accepted) and waited for the cheese to melt in.

For those looking for even more flavor, A local restaurant makes a "No Holds Barred" cheesesteak... includes crumpled bacon and pepperoni mixed in.

--nw
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 279/267/160 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I sautee green peppers and onlions in good olive oil with a sprinkle of seasoned salt. Put aside. Slice "mock tenderloin" as thin as I can with a kitchen knife. If it shreds, FINE. Saute that again in olive oil with a liberal shake of the same seasoned salt. When the meat just stops being pink add the veggies back in and give it a quick stir. Grind on the black pepper. Top liberally with the sliced or shredded mozzarella or provelone or maybe jack cheese and put a lid on it for just a second. If your veggies sat long enough there should be a bit of liquid left that creates steam in the pan and melts the cheese in a flash. (if no juice I use 1/2 a boullion cube in about 1/8 cup of water) Ultra yum.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 06:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

We make these at home occasionally and find that mushrooms are a good addition during the last minute on the stove. A diced jalapeno adds zip along with Cajun seasoning. I love them served on a large, low carb tortilla with a good 1 or 2 T of mayonase.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 00:47
Registered Member

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 270/175/175 Female 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

If you can stand one more recipe...we make these ALL the time and they're one of our favorite meals:

Deb’s Philly Beef ‘n Cheese

We were watching "In the Kitchen With Bob" on QVC and they were making & selling Philly Beef steaks. Well, those finished plates looked so good, we recreated it and have been loving it ever since. It's quick and easy!

Sirloin steak
sweet onion (Maui, Walla Walla, etc)
sweet peppers
cheese slices
salt & pepper
olive oil

We put the sirloin in the freezer and get it partially frozen, then slice (shave) it as thin as possible, removing visible fat. You can ask the butcher to do this step for you.

Slice up your onions - we like to slice the onion top to bottom rather than in rings.
Slice up your peppers. We use red, orange or yellow - we like their flavor better than green.

Put roughly 1 tablespoon olive oil in your skillet - not too much or the end product will be too greasy. Quickly saute the onions and peppers, you can sprinkle on some salt & pepper while cooking, set aside.

Add a bit more oil and put all the sliced/shaved steak in the pan on high. Spread it all out, season with salt & pepper and let it saute. This will only take a 3-4 minutes. Flip the meat just as it's losing its red color and turning gray. Sautee one more minute and lay 4 cheese slices on top and cook one more minute. Remove from heat. You do not want to overcook the meat or it will be tough. It should be 'gray', not brown. If it gets brown, chances are it cooked too long and will be tough; if it's not sliced/shaved thin enough, it will also be tough.

Spread the onions & peppers on your plate and top with the sirloin and cheese. That's it, very quick. This serves 2.

You can ofcourse add mushrooms or anything else to your liking. We eat it "as is" (no bun) right from the plate. If you have non-SSers at dinner, they can have this on a nice roll. We've made this using muenster, provolone and pepper jack (which gave it a kick). Feel free to add zippier spices too, but we prefer plain old salt & pepper. Enjoy!

DebB ~ SS site