Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 17:58

Plan: Dr. Greg Ellis
Stats: 340/318/180 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Help is on the way for low carbers in Ireland

Hello,
I trust that I will not be overstepping boundaries with this and if I am I would welcome any steering from the administrators, please.

I know that there is really a lack of a group support site for people living in Ireland who are trying to diet the low carb way. Albeit this site will always be exceptional because one will be able to dialogue with post exchanges with people from all over the world doing Atkin's, etc. and that cannot be supplanted with anything else.

Having said that, there is something unique about Ireland in that unlike the United States and Canada and even the UK, there is not the variety of low carb items, outside of eating meat, cheese, etc. and this is where I believe the melting of Irish minds will be the utmost importance so that collectively, we may learn from each others experiments in the low carb field.

I, myself know what carb addiction is all about and weighing in at 23 stone, I need the support and encouragement as well.

I know that there are bits and bobbs sold here and there but what is needed is a creative group of people who will share their ideas.

One lady mentioned a web site which I thought was an excellent idea.

For myself personally - since the summer - I was in the middle of organizing such a site, not for profit as my business keeps me busy enough without more commerical endeavours, plus the lowcarber site offers many options for purchasing through the web such low carb items, which can be expensive should one try having a go at them, but simply an Irish site to help supplement the low carber website because of the uniqueness of our situation living in Ireland.

If you have ideas regarding this and any interest, I welcome any comments.

A support group in Ireland would work for me and perhaps for many of you as well.

The weight clinic I attend at Loughlinstown hospital is fine enough but they push the high carb diet thing and that's not my thing.

Thanks for your time.

Happy Christmas and God Bless,

Peadar
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 07:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/154/126 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress:

Hi Peadar,

Just wondering about the clinic in Loughlinstown, what do they offer there? How are you getting on with the diet and do they condone the diet?

also i think it's a great idea to either set up an irish wedsite or shop to give us low carbers the freedom to eat a little more than meat and eggs!

Let me know If i can help with any ideas....
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 15:10

BF:

Hello Marylee,

The clinic is well meaning but has the typical low fat...ta da ta da...you know, same old thing.

I'm up to my tonsils in work right now because I just never know when to slow down but I am planning a sensible low carb website, once I've lost a couple stone at least and once I'm finished teaching a full course load once the summer comes. Of course, I've given up sweets for Lent so that'll count for something for sure.

I came across an absolutely fabulous e-book by a Dr. Greg Ellis who is a biochemist and makes about the only sense when it comes to proper low carbing. If you're interested in his website, I can give it to you. I hope I'm allowed to do this on lowcarber.org as it will educate you totally about what to do and yes, it'll teach you that eggs and rashers are not the only thing you have to eat for breakfast. It fills in many of the gaps and clears up many misconceptions of many of the low carb diets out there.

Let me know,

Cheers
Peadar
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 09:08

BF:
Progress:
Wink

I dont think the site would mind you, sure its all related info, aint it?!!!

good luck with the website, dying to see our first Irish low carb site....
Im one of the low carbers who tries to do it all week then I fall off the wagon at the weekend..so I'd need some Irish encouragment. Will your site have low carb foods that you can order?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 15:27

BF:

Hello Marylee,

The site is: http://ultimatedietsecrets.com/

He has a lot of information to read which is free and then you can buy his book or e-book, which I did many weeks ago and is very well researched, documented and practical. See what you think. I think the information he has will enable you to successfully follow a low carb program without being paranoid about eating carbs.

I can relate to you as far as the week-ends are concerned. It's easy to get into the munchies when you're watching a good film or rental. That's where low carb goodies come in handy. I buy mine at the UK Low Carb site.

Because there is so much involved with having a merchant account over the internet I personally wouldn't set up a website for people to purchase goods and there already are a few in the UK where you can order these items.

If I can be of any help otherwise, let me know as I know it's not easy, but I do know that the battle with weight is accomplished first of all through exercise, low carb and believe it or not, calorie intake. I've done the low carb thing for years and finally am starting to budge my weight.

Peadar
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 06:57

BF:
Progress:
Talking

Thanks a million for the help & encouragement, much appreciated.
I'll go onto that website for the afternoon I think!
By the way, I've started buying the Atkins products in Boots pharmacies, the bars are actually quite nice!. Fingers crossed they get more of a range in soon though. I think Liffey Valley probably have the best range.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 10:12
Registered Member

Stats: 171/158/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I am from the usa and am living in donaghmede. the only place i can find low carb items are at boots. i usually bring stuff back with me from the usa when i visit. i wonder if there is any place in belfast that would sell them considering it is not that far of a drive.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 06:35

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I have a website about PCOS in Ireland. I can post info about your low carb support group etc. on my site.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 18:42

BF:
Default Sorry for not replying

I am very sorry folks for not replying but I was not alerted to any more responses lately and just happened to be browsing (yes I know it's late but as a night hawk and insomniac it's what I do best) and realized a couple of you had replied.

There is a small shopping centre in the Falls Road which carries Atkin's bars and shakes. I forget if there was anything else.

Scarlet, thank you for your thoughtfulness. I hope to begin work in June on the low carb website in Ireland. Just what way that will take shape is not known but any way in which people can find support and encouragement is probably where I'm aiming at so thank you. Perhaps I can place a link for your site as well.

Cheers all,
Peadar
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:24
Registered Member

BF:

Where is Falls Road? I live in Donaghmede
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:40

BF:
Default The Falls Road

Hi rbeasley72,

The Falls Road is in Belfast...west Belfast that is. Alternatively, I think some of the members on this thread and the rest of the board could point you to places closer to D13 where you live. The Low Carb Mega Shop in England is great as far as low carb items are concerned. Hope this helps.

Peadar
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:46
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks so much. I am in belfast alot when the Giants season is going! I love belfast!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 08:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/229/161 Female 5ft 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

hi peadar, i've been designing websites, fulltime, for the past four years, so if you want any help with your low carb site, mail me, i'd love to work on it for free.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 10:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifunk
hi peadar, i've been designing websites, fulltime, for the past four years, so if you want any help with your low carb site, mail me, i'd love to work on it for free.

Hi Jenn,
That's great. It probably won't happen until July as the summer months are a little more leaner (no pun) for work, being self-employed and not sure what direction to take it but your input and experience will be welcomed, thanks.

peadar

ps do you live in Ireland and are you able to find low carb items?
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 04:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/229/161 Female 5ft 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

i'm living in south wicklow and find it very hard to get low carb foods, esp. as i only get to dublin about once every two months. i rely on the atkins cook book.