Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-19, 13:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
just picked up this dictionary (it's so heavy lol) from the library:

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen (The Science and Lore of the Kitchen #1), Harold McGee 1984 - 2004 update

Ha! If you want another magnum opus to borrow from the Library (almost a 1,000 pages, Heavy and expensive!) try The Food Lab. https://www.amazon.com/Food-Lab-Coo...e/dp/0393081087 Not only recipes, you get the science of why one technique works better than others. Kenji is an MIT grad.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-19, 03:33

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Ha! If you want another magnum opus to borrow from the Library (almost a 1,000 pages, Heavy and expensive!) try The Food Lab. https://www.amazon.com/Food-Lab-Coo...e/dp/0393081087 Not only recipes, you get the science of why one technique works better than others. Kenji is an MIT grad.
Thanks! Just borrowed it from the library. It's at another branch, so a couple days tops.

#153   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-19, 03:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinGurl
Thanks for posting this, s!

…”it has been recognized for decades that eating cheese slows tooth decay.” My older sister told me years ago that an old small-town doctor she saw as a young mother told her to eat an ounce or so of cheese before bed for that reason. I adopted that practice and find it also helps with stabilizing my blood sugar. Before doing that, I would wake after a few hours, restless and “starving” from hypoglycemia. Cheese before bed, and then I usually don’t feel the need to eat until 5 or 6 pm the next day.

Cheese, glorious cheese!
You're welcome! An excuse to eat gouda? I'm there.

#154   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 01:05

BF:

This one is on the way from another library. Heard it mentioned in Dr. Christy Kesslering's video that Janet posted.

Tripping Over the Truth: The Metabolic Theory of Cancer, Travis Christofferson (2014)

goodreads synopsis

A masterful synchronization of history and cutting-edge science shines new light on humanities darkest diagnosis.

In the wake of the Cancer Genome Atlas project's failure to provide a legible roadmap to a cure for cancer, science writer Travis Christofferson illuminates a promising blend of old and new perspectives on the disease. Tripping over the Truth follows the story of cancers proposed metabolic origin from the vaunted halls of the German scientific golden age, to modern laboratories around the world. The reader is taken on a journey through time and science that results in an unlikely connecting of the dots with profound therapeutic implications.

Transporting us on a rich narrative of humanities struggle to understand the cellular events that conspire to form malignancy, it reads like a detective novel, full of twists and cover-ups, blind-alleys and striking moments of discovery by men and women with uncommon vision, grit and fortitude. Ultimately we arrive at a conclusion that challenges everything we thought we knew about the disease, suggesting the reason for the failed war against cancer stems from a flawed paradigm that categorizes cancer as an exclusively genetic disease.

For anyone affected by this terrifying disease, and the physicians who struggle to treat it, Tripping Over the Truth provides a fresh and hopeful perspective. It explores the new and exciting non-toxic therapies born from the emerging metabolic theory of cancer. Therapies that may one day prove to be a turning point in the struggle against our ancient enemy. We are shown how the metabolic theory redraws the battle-map, directing researchers to approach cancer treatment from a different angle, framing it more like a gentle rehabilitation rather than all-out combat. In a sharp departure from the current "targeted" revolution occurring in cancer pharmaceuticals, the metabolic therapies highlighted have one striking feature that sets them apart -the potential to treat all types of cancer because they exploit the one weakness that is common to every cancer cell: dysfunctional metabolism.

Last edited by s93uv3h : Tue, Oct-08-19 at 01:12.
  #155   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 05:01

On my bookshelf, including revised edition 2017. Not an easy read, but waaay easier than Dr. Seyfried's textbook. Miriam Kalamian's diet is in the appendix, copied straight from her book, Keto for Cancer. Similar to the outline on her website. https://www.dietarytherapies.com/foods

NOTE!!: There is a new Reprint Edition published only a few days ago, October 1, 2019! From the original 2014 publication there have been different publishers, changes in practical info in appendix. I'd suggest getting the newest edition if you need the lists, maybe corrections in the text.

Kalamian is one author of the brand new keto diet/MCT breast cancer paper from Iran. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31496287

The book I am waiting for...Dr Jason Fung on Cancer. Still not on Amazon for pre-order, but suppose to be next year.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-08-19 at 05:15.
  #156   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 11:48

BF:

Quote:
On my bookshelf, including revised edition 2017. Not an easy read, but waaay easier than Dr. Seyfried's textbook. Miriam Kalamian's diet is in the appendix, copied straight from her book, Keto for Cancer. Similar to the outline on her website. https://www.dietarytherapies.com/foods...
That site is a gold mine. Also got in line for her book Keto for Cancer.
  #157   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-19, 01:47

BF:

Making my way through this. It's on heavy gauge paper, sort of like Dr. Jason Fung's The Complete Guide to Fasting (2016), in other words it's a very heavy book. You may be able to tell - I do not like this format. It's a library borrow, and the kindle isn't available, so what are you going to do ? lol

While you don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, there are many good things that Dr. Berry has to put out in this book. A few things I find interesting - he does not like milk, but then he mentions probiotics and there's a quality glossy picture of a quart jar full of what appears to be kefir with a few blueberries on the side. He takes a stand against exercise - what he starts out saying is about the lie doctors say - exercise to lose weight. I know what he means. I get it.

This wouldn't be my choice for getting a loved one off of the SAD. My choices are still Gary Taubes (Good Calories Bad Calories & Why We Get Fat) or Nina's The Big Fat Surprise, or Fung's Diabetes or Obesity Code books. Recently gave away a couple copies of Why We Get Fat. They make great gifts!

Overall I give this a 7/10 rating. The five in the previous paragraph are 10/10.

#158   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-19, 06:21

There is second edition of this book, published just six months ago. So this week, I requested an Interlibrary Loan for that one (cannot request any earlier) will see if other libraries like it. our county did not..maybe the title put them off?
  #159   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-19, 07:21

BF:

Quote:
There is second edition of this book, published just six months ago...
I have the second edition, 2019. Library request, so they bought it and I was first in line.
  #160   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-19, 14:29

BF:

RE: Lies My Doctor Told Me, Ken D. Berry 2019

Lots of inconsistencies in his book. Why? Seems to me he touts a lot of his n=1 experience IMO. There are no footnotes, references at all - only the index at the end.

One case in point. Chapter 24 Eating processed meat causes cancer, page 220, in one of the closing paragraphs, he says his family regularly eats processed meat including hot dogs and bologna and bacon.

Then, on page 240, chapter 26 Do as I say, and do as I do - he says studies show avoiding processed foods helps to keep your telomeres from shortening prematurely.

#161   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-19, 03:15

BF:

Library just got Shawn Baker's The Carnivore Diet. Should get it in a day or so.
  #162   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-19, 12:27

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Sat oct26 post.... the first quote I read as sarcastic.... from hotdogs to veggies... then it is not inconflict with second quote.

As you know much of medicine is contradictory....the more we know the easier to recognise the truth, though that is still elusive at times. Make our best judgement and adjust if better info comes along.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Dec-04-19 at 12:35.
  #163   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-19, 12:30

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3037593/

Did Berry include this in the notes?

Quote:
After adjustment for age, other demographics, lifestyle factors, and intakes of other foods or beverages, only processed meat intake was associated with telomere length. For every 1 serving/d greater intake of processed meat, the T/S ratio was 0.07 smaller (β ± SE: −0.07 ± 0.03, P = 0.006). Categorical analysis showed that participants consuming ≥1 serving of processed meat each week had 0.017 smaller T/S ratios than did nonconsumers. Other foods or beverages and the 2 dietary patterns were not associated with telomere length.

Not something that keeps me up at night. But--somehow, when looking at whole grain versus processed, the emphasis is on good things that have been taken out. Looking at unprocessed versus processed meats--there's sort of a lack of appreciation for the healthfulness of the beginning product, of nutrition that might be lost in the processing--it's all about the stuff added in, or that's the impression I get. I don't think it's established that processed meat is all that bad--but if it was, is it the meat itself, or what it displaces in the diet? I think there is evidence that processed meat can increase in the diet, when all meat is being increased, say somebody is going on Atkins or something, while health is improving. Yes the evidence for this is in part anecdotal, but when we have anecdotal versus weakish epidemiology, meh.

One more thing--the study I posted

Quote:
Dietary patterns, food groups, and telomere length in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA)

The study I posted gives ham hocks as the most "damaging" processed meat. My Ukrainian grandmother valued ham hocks, they were sort of a traditional food for my family. Any other ethnic groups besides Ukrainian that like ham hocks? They did correct for this sort of thing, but you can't really correct for something unless you already know its contribution with some certainty.

I do treat processed meat more as a treat than as a staple, I have portion issues, it's not as satiating for me as fresh meat.
  #164   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-19, 01:11

BF:

Not Ukranian (Asian), but my Mom made ham hocks with black eyed beans. Learned to love sucking the marrow out of bones with this dish lol (something my Dad taught me).

Here's a book that's priced beyond my reach:

The Microbiome and the Brain, Dr. David Perlmutter $149.95 hardcover, $57.95 kindle

Brain related disorders are among the most challenging health issues of our time. The development of effective therapeutic and preventive strategies for these disorders relies on a comprehensive understanding of the underlying causative mechanisms. And, until recently, these mechanisms have remained somewhat elusive.

^ goodreads synopsis
  #165   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-19, 07:53

BF:

New book by Dr. Jason Fung: The Obesity Code Cookbook.