Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 09:10

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

My husband took a statin for many years (he had heart surgery in 1995) - with no noticeable side effects. But he read both Grain Brain & Wheat Belly a few years ago & was convinced enough to stop the statin & stop (mostly) eating wheat.

His doctor backed him completely - said it was nuts to give statins to the elderly.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 11:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Here is one Dr. but unclear if she is an MD.She is affiliated with MIT based on the email address given. A PhD??? Still looking for MD that gave a lecture on the statistics used and how doctors are bamboozled by the advertizing machine of the pharmacutical company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8-TT87WLBg

More on her view of cholesterol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Hkunxkzfw
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 11:17

BF:

Here is dr berg ( not MD, but teaches at medical school apparently) gives the lay person presentation of the MD's presentation....still looking for the original MD presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynpqxnxtLi8
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 11:21

BF:

#20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 11:23

BF:

Sorry Aunite Em that these are not in book form.

I used to work at a research lab as a "lab rat" and while washing labware, heard conversations on how to manipulate the data to get more research dollars......
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 11:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Here is dr berg ( not MD, but teaches at medical school apparently) gives the lay person presentation of the MD's presentation....still looking for the original MD presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynpqxnxtLi8

Wow....that's eye opening
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 11:38

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Last edited by s93uv3h : Thu, Jun-14-18 at 11:50.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 02:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I have not been a fan of Dr Berg, as a chiropractor he can confound good information with needing supplements, but he is such a good communicator. He just wrapped up all the reasons a healthy person who has not had a previous heart attack, should not take statins in a four minute white board presentation

Dr Stephanie Sneff has her doctorate from MIT in Computer Science, her specialty is AI. One reason she is so controversial when she presents research on damage from glyphosate (round-up, especially its impact on autism and cancer) and statins...She is "not qualified" in biology nor medical fields. Just check her wiki entry...it may have been written by Monsanto's PR team
Dr Baylock... If he had anything valid to say, appearing on that show taints it.

Two cardiologists who use statins in the right situation and avoid them when lifestyle can be just as effective are Dr Bret Scher at the Low Carb Cardiologist. https://lowcarbcardiologist.com/sta...w/#.WyOFAYopChA. And the Skeptical Cardiologist https://theskepticalcardiologist.com/medications/
And of course, Dr William Davis has a lot to say about statins! http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/?s=Statins

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jun-15-18 at 03:49.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 03:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
The more I read the more I hear about increasing mortality with decreasing total cholesterol, further reinforcing my decision to stop taking statins.

more:

Statin Adverse Effects: A Review of the Literature and Evidence for a Mitochondrial Mechanism 8-2008

That one ^^^ reminded me of the wildly controversial story written by Dr MaryAnn Demasi for an Australian TV on statins, Heart of the Matter...Beatrice Golomb was interviewed in that. Surprised I could even find links to it, it was banned, then allowed with warnings, drug companies and docs claimed that thousands of Australians would drop dead within weeks of giving up statins (didn’t happen), Dr Demasi's shunned, etc. now we have the Prof Noakes trial, this seems tame, but remember this show had a strong impact on me.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/th...n-drug-scandal/

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jun-15-18 at 03:47.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 06:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
That one ^^^ reminded me of the wildly controversial story written by Dr MaryAnn Demasi for an Australian TV on statins, Heart of the Matter...Beatrice Golomb was interviewed in that. Surprised I could even find links to it, it was banned, then allowed with warnings, drug companies and docs claimed that thousands of Australians would drop dead within weeks of giving up statins (didn’t happen), Dr Demasi's shunned, etc. now we have the Prof Noakes trial, this seems tame, but remember this show had a strong impact on me.

Modern day witch hunts. I have to say I'm not surprised.

Excellent videos - thank you.

Last edited by s93uv3h : Fri, Jun-15-18 at 10:07.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 06:25

BF:

Quote:
I have not been a fan of Dr Berg, as a chiropractor he can confound good information with needing supplements, but he is such a good communicator. He just wrapped up all the reasons a healthy person who has not had a previous heart attack, should not take statins in a four minute white board presentation
I don't know much about him, looked him up, and got the same impression.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 06:53

BF:

My point with the Dr Berg video was that this was EXACTly the same info as presented by the MD giving a lecture--just cant find that exact video.

Thelogic is the that the data is scewed by the pharmacuetacle company to make the 2% look like a huge impact compared to the 1%....It is twice the number and capitalized on as a huge impact when in fact it is small when real numbers like 99% and 98% are brought into the picture.
------------------------

"That’s why it’s troubling to hear about new research that demonstrates that one of the most commonly prescribed classes of medications, statin drugs (used to lower cholesterol), has a profound impact on the chance that someone could develop Type 2 diabetes. Let’s dive into this research today."--dr
pulmutter

https://www.drperlmutter.com/statin...know/#more-5573
--------------------------

ANd no, I dont spell very well anymore after several strokes, I just had to get over that, used to be a detailed oriented AA at one time.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Jun-15-18 at 07:09.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 07:12

BF:

Quote:

Dr Amen does the same thing. Dr Atkin's too. That is make supplements available for purchase. It doesnt make their information wrong.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Jun-15-18 at 09:55.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 09:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:

Great video reports on Part 1 and Part 2. Interesting as the only reason it could have been banned is that the report is such an indictment on Pharma for focusing the blame on cholesterol and producing statins to lower it. Big investment and massive revenues can make those who stand to benefit very unethical. They've duped the medical community so well, that physicians are worried about malpractice if they don't prescribe these drugs. What a perfect storm, as the very people who should be trusted by the population for dispensing sound health information are unwittingly part of this Cabal of Distortion. I believe most physicians who are promoting statins are doing so because they are unaware of the bad science behind this fraud. I put my own PCP in this category. This is why people need to take control by acquiring their own knowledge to make decisions for themselves. The old guard medical community no longer can be trusted to play this role.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 16:56

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thank you, everyone, for your kind posts, and for all the information, and links. I am slowly making my way through them.

Am trying to assimilate new information and choose what to give to my friends, or the doctors....

Thank you again. I really appreciate your help and contributions.