Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 173/160/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Question Pear vs. Apple Shapes?

Great idea for a forum! I am definitely a slow loser.

I believe it was Dr. Atkins who said that the "apple" shapes or those who tend to gain fat in their stomachs may lose weight faster eating LC than the "pear" shapes or those who tend to gain more weight in their butt and thighs. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I am definitely a "pear" shape, but the other rewards of this WOE are greater than just losing weight!

Carolyn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 17:54

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

No idea what the good doctor has to say on the topic, but I am "apple shaped" in my where-I-carry-fat-tendency, and it took me 1 yr 8 mos and 15 days to lose 40 pounds. I'd hate to think how long it would have taken if I was lugging those 40 around on my bottom, thighs and hips!!!

I have read tho, that 'apple shaped varieties' of dieters are at a greater health risk because they will have more fat stored around vital organs....

The other thing I have found, is that since most of my fat cells are in my middle, that I would almost need to be *underweight* everywhere else, to totally eradicate all the excess fat from my waist.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 17:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

What about us barrels? (We always get left out.)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 18:00
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

What about someone who started out pear shaped, but now when they've lost a lot of weight they seem to carry most of it around their middle? I can put on the size 10 jeans *amnit, I just look ridiculous with my fat belly hanging over the edge.

Elihnig
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 18:06

Alto - "apples".... "barrels".... we're all in the same 'family' !!!!

And you always get left out, because the pears don't keep in barrels.

OK, now I'm reminded of a story - (there's no stopping me now I'm a natural story teller)...

Do you know where the expression "one bad apple spoils the whole barrel" comes from?

First of all, apples give off some gas (Karen will know what kind) that causes all produce around them to accelerate in their ripening process. So if you have green bananas - as if low carbers keep bananas but who knows - and you want them to ripen more quickly - put apples near them. If you have produce that ripens fast, keep apples away from them. Apples should routinely be stored away from any other food products - and so they used to keep them in barrels.

Secondly, it used to be a chore for the young people on the family farm to periodically empty the apple barrels, apple by apple, and remove the spoiled ones and then put all the good ones back in. That's because once you have a spoiled apple, it passes gas to all the others (HA) and hurries their ripening (and spoiling) process along.

Just so happens I know a bit about apples - and barrels.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 22:25

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

LC,
When I was living on Nantucket we had an early freeze and I had to pick quite a few of my tomatoes while they were still green. An old gardener told me to put them in a grocery sack with a couple of ripe red apples. When I asked him why, he replied, "I dunno, it works though. Maybe the apple gives them the idea of what they're really suppose to look like."

Oh, and speaking of apples... That'd be me
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 12:09
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Apples? Pears?

I read what the discription on apples and pears as body discriptions... But it seems to me, everyone is a bit of both.
I seem to have weight all over me evenly. I used to joke that I had an hour glass figure with a few inches of fat on it
My weight loss seems to be even with the same about of inches coming off bust, waist, hips.. So what am I?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 20:01

A banana.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 20:33

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hiya All

This Thread really made me laugh

I am definitley a pear. Thunderthighs here we come ! I also need to be underweight all over my body, before my thighs and bum even think about fitting into a size 10 Jeans ! But I am working on it.

At the moment I am a size 12, apart from my bum, that is still a size 14. Makes interesting trouser and skirt buying.

This is the first diet though, where I lost weight all over, rather than just on my tummy. Low Fat used to make me lose weight on the tummy and legs and bust, but the bum stayed the same. This not only made me look even fatter (even though I lost weight), it made even more interesting trouser shopping (ever tried to find trousers with a size 10 waist and a size 14-16 hip ?? )

Sometimes I wish I was a banana.

Good luck
Sabine

PS.: for all pears out there, what kind of brands do you think fir our shape best ?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 11:32

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:

You sound like me Sabine, I'm a pear and one size up from you in the same areas and I know how you feel about the jeans.

I've never been a size 10 though and that would be lovely but it's hard to think that far ahead at the moment. Even 2 stone lighter 20 years ago I think I was a size 14 - 16, unless the sizes have changed!

Anyway, me a PEAR too!!

Bez

#11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 13:12

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%

I was definitely was drawn to this infomercial that divide body types into four categories and planned a workout for each type. The types were: the cone (top-heavy), hour-glass (me), the pear or spoon (upside down one, anyway), and I think the last one was a latter or something and these people gained weight in the tummy (Edward jackowski, the guy that designed it said this is where most men fall - and it includes my bf). I bought the equipment (it was about 100bucks) it sounded like a great idea and I felt it was personalized for me. I had a tendency to bulk up easy (muscle) so I wanted something that would give me the results I wanted. I'm not doing it anymore, but now I may (you guys made me remember it). In 2 weeks, my bod looked tons better (but I was also doing Slimfast and doing cardio too).

The four types, I think is better than the 2. For people that have gained alot of weight may fat into 2 categories.

Erin
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 13:45
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Talking Chuchle

I like the four type class better... for a second I thought I would be a squash or something
I'm an hourglass like I said before

I'm curious, Erin.. What kind of exercises do you do for your body type.. it being like mine
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 17:46

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Lessara

I actually can't remember exactly...but after I pop the video in I'l let you know.

I'm pretty sure it's an all around workout, b/c our fat is distributed everywhere. Also less resistence and more reps. I let you know the deals after I refresh my mem with the vid.

E
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 22:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I am an hourglass too...a biggun...but hey...at least when it comes off...it comes off almost everywhere. I still find that it tends to come off my butt last...I don't know why that is....no matter
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 13:59

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Count Me as a Pear

I am definately a pear! It's been the bane of my existance most of my life. I think the worst experience I ever had was my first time kayaking. I had a heck of a time wedging my butt into the boat, and staying there was very painful. Thank goodness it was only for 3 hours. The next time I kayaked I made a point of asking for a bigger boat, but you should have seen me in the wet suit they supplied for teaching wet exits! I looked like the Michelin man...it was pretty disgusting and I have the photo to prove it.

Anyway....When I get all of the pounds off, if I still have the saddle bags I am going to have liposuction to get rid of them. Hopefully that will be the end of them because they are without doubt my least favorite part of my body.

<b>Madpiano</b> I know exactly what you mean about trying to buy slacks. I always say that by the time they fit my hips someone else can get in at the waist. Consequently, I rarely wear pants.

Marlaine