Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 18:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257.5/257.5/105 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

How's life been since you lost weight?
Have all the changes been positive?
Other than congratulating you, in the long term or after the initial shock, how have ppl reacted to your transformation?
Have your friendships remained the same?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 19:48

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 381/239.8/160 Male 5 ft 6.25 inches
BF:61%/38.4%/25.6%
Progress: 64%

Well, it's funny that you replied to this when you have.

My scale at the time was not accurate. I started at 380, not 407.

Eventually, my weight loss stalled the following year, and gained some weight after going on high blood pressure medication. Although I kept most of it off for a year, I eventually starting gaining in 2004, and by 2005, I had gained almost all of it back. By the following year, I had gained it all back and even gained one more pound. I bumped up to 381 twice - in 2006 and 2008. The last time I did, in July 2008, will be the last time I ever get to that weight.

The month before, I decided enough was enough, and I had to do something. I decided to get gastric bypass surgery. In June, 2008, as I went on my orientation session, I started my new journey at 378.5 lbs. It started off not so great, and actually gained weight (to 381, a few weeks later) before I got serious about it.

Starting last August, at 375 lbs, I went on a medically supervised weight loss program. Soon after starting, I found out I was diabetic (type 2) and that was a bit of a shock, since I had not had it before. The weight loss from the program started slowly, but I eventually lost another 22 lbs over six months. The following month, I was approved for gastric bypass surgery. I went on a liquid diet for two weeks, and lost an additional 18 lbs and got down to 335.5 lbs - a loss of 43 lbs since June. I had the surgery on Feb. 27th.

As of last Thursday, my weight was 239.8 lbs. That means I have lost a total of 138.7 lbs, 95.7lbs of that after surgery.

My diabetes is gone - it's been gone since the day after the surgery. My high blood pressure is also gone. My other long term chronic sleep apnea is improved, I think, but I need to get tested for that again.

I have no regrets. Surgery was what I needed, and it's worked well. I would like to lose as much as I can. 240 is a good loss, but I think I can realistically lose another 60 lbs. I just have to apply myself and keep doing the right things.

My diet is still low carb, for the most part, although I do get in some carbs in moderation. Fatty foods are problematic since the surgery, so greasy foods like french fries, onion rings and other fried foods are not much of a temptation for me. Sweets are, but I can keep those in check.

To anyone reading this, surgery is a tool. You have to work as hard, or even harder (you have to learn how to eat all over again) than you would losing weight by other means. You still have to eat right, and exercise remains very important in your weight loss plan. If anything, surgery is an "insurance policy". It makes it harder to gain weight back, but, like anything else, you can sabotage it by grazing and/or eating soft foods like ice cream or other rich, caloric foods. Find a good surgeon, a good hospital and a good program. I went to Cleveland Clinic, and I have no trouble recommending them for anyone considering surgery.

Anyway... there's my update.

People are now definitely commenting on my weight loss, and I do look a lot different today than I had, especially when I was at a conference a couple of weeks ago. It's a nice feeling.

What's more, I have noticed that people who knew me before the surgery seem to treat me differently. I've been told I am an inspiration to many people, and I feel like I am getting more respect than I ever have before. This is not true for everyone, but I do see this in the majority of colleagues, friends and co-workers.

It has been difficult at home in recent months. My wife (I got married in 2004) has been out of a job since April, and depression seems to be the emotion of the house right now. I fear she will get more depressed, once I surpass her weight (I'm less than 10 lbs from that now). Exercise has gotten more difficult to get in as she gets depressed over not working and we get depressed over our financial situation and problems we need to address (e.g. car and house repairs) but can't because we cannot afford it. I've also gotten a lot busy with work, and some extra stuff I have taken on in recent months.

I have to remember: I can accomplish anything I want. I knew this before, but now I have proof. I'm now in the 6-18 month phase post surgery, and how much I lose is dependent on how much I apply myself. I intend to continue. I just have to do this while also trying to make us more income and juggle my schedule so that I can get in my exercise. I will continue.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-09, 14:23
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeloche
people who knew me before the surgery seem to treat me differently. I've been told I am an inspiration to many people, and I feel like I am getting more respect than I ever have before.

Are those the only ways in which you're being treated differently? What do you think of getting more respect now? Do you think it's reflective of how ppl think?

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but happy to hear about your weight loss. Congratulations.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-09, 14:26
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeloche
fear she will get more depressed, once I surpass her weight (I'm less than 10 lbs from that now).

What do you mean? Are u 10 lbs from her weight? If you end up weighing less than she, how will you manage dealing w/ her reaction if it's negative?
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-09, 15:47

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 381/239.8/160 Male 5 ft 6.25 inches
BF:61%/38.4%/25.6%
Progress: 64%

As far as being treated differently, I haven't noticed too much otherwise, though I haven't spent a lot of time looking for evidence. :-)

I was respected in my field before this, and now more so.

I am less than 10 lbs from her current weight. She's already dealing with depression as it is, being unemployed for the last four months. As far as how I will deal with it, I can't let it stop me too much, but I can't help but feel some of the same feelings she feels. I do have to try to stay focussed on my own goals. If things stay the same, and I expect that they will, it's going to happen (probably soon, in the next week or two), and I can't allow my progress to stop in reaction to her reaction on the lack of her progress and her reaction to mine. Perhaps when I do surpass her, that will give her a kick start.