Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Pure Foods Eyes San Diego for Low-Carb Markets"

Pure Foods Eyes San Diego for Low-Carb Markets

01/27/2004, by Larry M Edwards

link to article

SAN DIEGO -- When talk turns to food these days, more often than not that talk is "low-carb." Short for "low in carbohydrates," low-carb is THE buzzword in diet circles.

And with nearly one in three Americans trying to lose weight, there's money to be made selling low-carb anything -- upwards of $15 billion are expected to be spent on low-carb products this year, according to an industry survey.

Hoping to cash in on this fad is Pure Foods LLC, which plans to open two retail stores in the San Diego area in the coming months.

"With $200,000 you can jump on the low-carb craze and open a Pure Foods low-carb market anywhere in the United States and Canada," trumpets today's press release from the Beverly Hills company.

Pure Foods, which opened its Santa Monica store last month and will open the Beverly Hills store next week, is now franchising the concept for rapid expansion.

Founded in November by former hotel manager Brad Saltzman and Stephen Bikoff, the company had planned to keep the California market for itself. But after receiving dozens of requests from people in California who wanted to purchase a franchise, they have changed their strategy.

San Diego was initially targeted for corporate stores, but because of the high interest level by potential partners, the stores are more likely to be operated as franchises.

But is the operative word "craze," which might quickly turn to "crash" as fickle American dieters move on to the next fad and leave Pure Foods franchisees holding the bag?

"This is not a fad," Saltzman said, contending that Pure Foods is a tremendous investment opportunity for the entrepreneurial-minded.

An estimated 42 million Americans are on a general low-carb diet, according to Valen Group, which conducted a survey that was presented at the LowCarbiz Summit conference in Denver last week. The survey also concluded that the $15 billion industry could easily double in sales by the end of the year, boosted by growth in the natural and organic foods sector.

It's this sort of news that puts Saltzman in pitch mode. "Our goal is to open a Pure Foods Low Carb Market in every major city in California within the next 24 months," he said.

The company is pumping an initial $5.5 million into developing its low-carb concept, Saltzman said. In addition to the retail stores, the company also has wholesale and catering divisions.

He described the stores as looking like a small Whole Foods Market, but where the Whole Foods emphasis is on organic foods, the Pure Foods emphasis is on low-carb. "We complement each other, and we will locate our stores near Whole Foods whenever possible," Saltzman said.

What's behind the low-carb juggernaut is the oft-maligned Atkins Diet. It was introduced by Dr. Robert Atkins more than 30 years ago, but it didn't really catch on until the late 1990s when a number of celebrities became converts.

The basic tenets of the diet are to limit the intake of carbohydrates and avoid refined carbs -- sugar and white flour -- while eating a balance of fats and a variety of protein sources, such as red meat, fish, poultry, eggs and tofu.

Low-carb, an Atkins off-shoot, is now all the rage. Restaurants, both conventional and fast-food, are touting low-carb menu items. TGI Friday's introduced low-carb menu in December, Burger King is introducing a bunless burger, and KFC is promoting low-carb (but not low-fat) fried chicken. On store shelves, packaged foods that proclaimed "low-fat" and "no-fat" and being pushed aside for "low-carb" and "no-carb."

The Pure Foods wholesale division will offer a variety of low-carb items, including eight frozen dinners, cheesecake and sugar-free barbecue sauce.

But the low-carb diet takes the Atkins diet a step farther, restricting the consumption of fruit and vegetables that have high carbohydrate and sugar content.

Which leaves some health professionals concerned that people won't get balanced diets. Ingesting high amounts of protein over a long period can cause kidney damage or bone loss, they say.

Dr. David L. Katz, professor at the Yale School of Medicine and author of The Way to Eat, cautions against diets that ban any food group. For example, during the low-fat diet craze of the '90s, fat-free sweets loaded with sugar became popular. People consumed large amounts of highly sweetened foods and many gained weight. Low-carb diets are taking us down the same road, he contends.

CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta has similar concerns. "These diets are low in fiber, which could be a problem in the long run," he said. "There is a very high drop-out rate, and after a year, the thing most people seemed to be concerned about is similar weight loss to a low fat diet. So there is not very much of an advantage there."

Saltzman said there will always be cynics and naysayers. "They're welcome to their opinion; I just don't think it's valid." He pointed to Harvard University studies that support the basic premise of the Atkins diet and have been critical of the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture's long-standing food pyramid that encourages the high consumption of carbohydrates and low consumption of fat.

"There's always somebody that's going to be cynical," Saltzman said. "Those people are not practicing a low-carb lifestyle, and they don't know enough about it."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 18:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

tee hee, I'm getting to be an activist in my old age. I just sent email to CNN

Just a quick note. I see/hear some of the sound bites from Dr. Gupta regarding the High Protein diets which have gotten very popular recently.

"CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta has similar concerns. "These diets are low in fiber, which could be a problem in the long run," he said."

I'd like to point out to Dr. Gupta that there's as much possibility of filling up on high fiber, low-carb meals on the Atkin's diet as there is on any high-carb diet. The vegetables and grains and nuts one consumes while following low-carb are much higher fiber than the rice, pasta and potatoes I used to eat on my old high-carb diet.

And the new low-carb alternatives for bread, crackers, waffles, cereal and even ice cream have lots of dietary fiber added to them to make up for the lack of flour content. My system is probably reeling from the amount of omega-3's I'm getting from nuts, nut flours and flax seed meal that is used in low-carb cooking.

I routinely eat an enormous salad filled with low-carb veggies, stir fry with veggies and chicken and instead of eating rice, I serve it over steamed broccoli or cauliflower.

Face it folks, people make lousy choices when it comes to eating at times, regardless of whether it is low-carb or high-carb. I remember that the word on the street back in the 80's was, "if it doesn't have fat, you can eat it!". All the nutrition experts of the time were encouraging everyone to stop eating meat and eat more pasta and pototoes. And I gained a ton of weight following those precepts. Probably inched myself nearer to becoming diabetic as well.

At least the advantage with low-carb is that I don't have the constant need to feed that I did back on the old high-carb diet. And suprisingly, my cholesterol numbers are better now.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that we Atkin's dieters are not a bunch of undisciplined fad followers. I've been on Atkins for almost a year. Never found a diet so incredibly easy to follow and had so few cravings or even desires to cheat while on this diet.

It might not be for everyone, but I would say I've finally found a way of eating I could stick to for the rest of my life.

Nancy Milligan

Note: Uh oh... when I pasted this here I realized I left out the "not" in front of "a bunch of undisciplined". Oh dear.