Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 15:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/269/215 Male 75"
BF:
Progress: 43%
Talking Like a bull in a china shop...

Hi all. New to these forums, though this will be my second time through the Atkins Diet. I did fairly well my first time around, but gained the weight back (and more) when I went off the diet. This time around, I realize that it will take a lifestyle change to really make a difference in my health (and weight) and am committed to getting it done!

As the nickname implies, I'm just an all-round big guy. 6' 3" tall, and "big like bull" as my grandmother used to say.

I run another web forum (unrelated to weight loss) and one of the Moderators there pointed me in this direction So glad I found this place!

I look forward to getting to know some of you, and hope y'all will cheer me on as I learn to juggle work, marriage, travel, health & other lifestyle issues!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 19:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

hahahaaa I'm LMAO.

"BIG LIKE BULL." welcome! *guards her china cabinet*
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 22:41

BF:

Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 23:11
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Hiya Big,

Welcome to the family. Your story is similar to mine. I had great success the first time around....just forgot about it being a lifestyle change and I'm back for a second go around.

Looking forward to following your success!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:06

BF:

Hi Josiekat, and thanks for the welcome!

Looks like my first challenges are just around the corner:

1. I have a business meeting, that is sure to lead to Lunch (not sure where, however)
2. Tomorrow I travel out of state for 2 days, with Lunch & Dinner Meetings...again, not sure at what type of restaurant, or what food will be available. I think one of the other problems for me will be late night munchies in the hotel. Wonder if anyone has any suggestions...I'll still be on the induction phase.

Argh. I tried so hard to time this so I wouldn't have to worry about where & what foods to eat.

Well...this should be interesting

Last edited by BIG : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 07:11.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:17

Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

You can tailor almost any food in a restaurant for you - the big problem is temptation! Go for salads with chicken breast, steak with veg, etc. You just have to make up your mind that you don't eat the icky stuff any more. Ensure that the server knows that NO carbs go on your plate (side dishes like pasta or whatever) to help resist temptation.

For late night munchies, try and get a moment to pop into a local grocery and grab a few munchies that are safe & have them with you. Check & see what time your hotel's room service stops running in case you can't get munchies from a store & need to order a salad.

oh yeah... nuts are not allowed on induction, but they are a heck of a lot better than a handful of potato chips from the mini-bar. carry a pack if you need to, in case of emergency. but the best thing you can really do is just kick on the willpower.

Last edited by suzanneM : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 11:24.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:14

BF:

Thanks, suzanne! Sounds like excellent advice I appreciate the quick response, and I shall will myself to stick to it!

Question for those out there in the know: Are there any protein bars out there that are "safe" on Atkins? Even during the Induction Phase? Just need to know. They have worked great as an emergency backup, when caught between flights at the airport, with no time for a meal.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:24
Registered Member

Stats: 3/3/14 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default fallback plan

You are such a cutie!! Best of luck. You look very much like my son.

1. Business strategies - <<ugh>> been there, not done that. While you might be able to survive the business lunches and din dins, why take any chances? Cheese travels quite well without refrigeration. So does salami. These are top notch induction foods, so why not pack some along? Other candidates are canned stuff like anchovies and hard boiled eggs. Pretend you are on an extended solo sea voyage....get those foods for the business lunch scene. Gorge in the hotel room and then look mega cool at dinner.

2. Being a hefty guy, you will probably melt fat in a way that makes me jealous. We women have a much harder time.

much love
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:30
Registered Member

Stats: 3/3/14 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Sorry for the double post...but.

If you end up sitting opposite the inevitable "business" tray of cookies, figure out what you will do. Even though I am not a sweets person, that dratted tray right in front of me often meant I ate stuff I generally avoided. Not a diet thing....just not a food I love.

Maybe get to the meeting early and take a seat at one end of the table?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:38
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

ohhh you definatly need to start a journal so we can all cheer you on in your progress. I know lots of girls that would be postin' to ya!!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:38

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi there! Welcome to the forum. Business lunches are hard. You don't necessarily need to tell coworkers that you are dieting. You can tell them you are cutting back or processed foods and sugars if you need too.
For munchies I love jerkey, cheese , porkrinds and olives.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:01

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Just wanted to come by and welcome another East Coaster to the board!!!

Hope all is well!
Linda
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:09
Splenda Flavored

Stats: 275/247/190 Male 5' 11 1/2
BF:more than I need
Progress: 33%

Oh no bro, You got SEAGIRLS in here.....Your about to be bombarded by them. Welcome to the forums bro and good luck with your LCing, you shouldn't have a problem with support here Manny
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:10

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

Welcome to the board!! This place is GREAT!! Like Manny said you will find tons of support here! Don't be a stranger!!! You need a journal!!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:11

BF:

Thanks to all that have warmly welcomed me here!

Wizzle & Rodmick,

Thanks for the quick response and the "Business Survival Snack" ideas!! I love cheese, eggs, olives & salami (though the last one I should probably save until I'm not in such close quarters in a meeting room...lol). I know I need to watch myself on the cheese intake, and I shall.

Nursey & Sandra,

A Journal sounds like just the thing to keep me motivated!! I'm pretty sure I can find the Journal feature in this forum somewhere

Thanks to all for the ideas. If you can think of more...please toss 'em this way! With all the success that you have all made, some of it is SURE to sink in to my head

Last edited by BIG : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 16:12.