Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 14:29
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebaldwin
My understanding is that the ADA has not only done little to help with this reasearch -- but promoted the exact opposite - heavy intake of starches !(see article I sited above)

To this day -- I don't see or hear the ADA standing on the mountain top yelling out loud "high glycemic foods are as bad, or worse, for your health than smoking, drugs, and alcohol. Everybody needs to start a low carb diet immediately and then read everything they can on pre type 2 diabetes, Syndrome X, and metabolic syndrome".
Do you mean 'everybody' or just diabetics? Or people with a family history of diabetes?

Quote:
If the ADA has changed their ways is so great today -- why are hundreds of thousands of type 2 diabetics and "health experts" -- still anti low carbing?
We have been discussing how the ADA has not apparently changed their ways. I think everyone here agrees on the change we want to see.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 14:42
Don't Call Me Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
You may be surprised - my dissertation is on the multi-faceted, massive endocrine failure in diabetes.
Kewl!
  #123   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 14:43
Don't Call Me Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
Actually how they grade evidence is clearly outlined in their position statements:

An "A" grade is earned when studies are:
(...)

So my assertion remains - they're grade of "A" for the recomendation to reduce intake of saturated fat to less than 7% of energy is NOT from studies that meet their grading criteria....
No, I do understand that. I agree, that "A" doesn't seem to fit. That's what I meant by 'mysterious' - sorry I wasn't very clear.
  #124   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 14:55
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
That's what I meant by 'mysterious' - sorry I wasn't very clear.

No worries....it is a mystery why they would grade it an A, when there is no data.....makes you wonder about their other positions & statements, doesn't it?
  #125   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 15:48
Don't Call Me Sugar

Yes, it does.

I get into these threads because it makes me dig into the issue. So I read lots of ADA stuff in the last few days, when I never have before.

It's really complicated. A lot of the benefits from low-carbing might be due to weight loss alone, so I can understand trying to separate that out. But weight loss is a huge plank in the ADA's platform, and some people do much better on a low-carb plan, probably including a lot of people in danger of becoming Type II diabetics. It seems worth mentioning for the weight loss benefit alone, plus the triglyceride lowering, but they seem to think people don't stay on low-carb diets. Or maybe it's the 'lipid hypothesis' keeping them away from recommending low-carb because of the connection between diabetes and heart disease.

My personal example aside (because it's complicated by hypothyroidism) - I do believe most people with diabetic tendencies, people with insulin resistance, will be heart-healthier when they control carbs, because of the drop in triglycerides. But I don't feel I can prove it to the ADA. It would be interesting to try to set up a group project here on the forums to generate a proof - use the ADA's own grading system to present evidence.
  #126   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 15:53
Don't Call Me Sugar

So, to sum up possible reasons we have come up with, as to why the ADA hasn't adopted a low-carb element in its dietary recommendations:
  • to benefit their sponsors at the expense of diabetics
  • old ideas about nutrition are too entrenched
  • they cannot overturn their history of recommending high carb
  • they are afraid that eradicating diabetes will make them irrelevant
  • they are too convinced of the 'lipid hypothesis' and afraid to allow a fattier diet
  • they sincerely believe their diet is better
  • they think people can't stay on low-carb diets for long
  • they think nobody can stay on any diet for long ("noncompliance")
  • they don't feel there is enough evidence to support low-carb eating

Did I miss any?
  #127   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 15:54
Don't Call Me Sugar

Incidentally, we can contact the ADA and ask them.

Quote:
General questions about diabetes or diabetes-related research should go to AskADA(at symbol)diabetes.org.

What, exactly, would we want to ask? We would want to phrase a question where they couldn't just say "there isn't enough evidence."