Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-01, 15:33

Plan: aktins
Stats: 216/194/145
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Just started low carb-ing - HELP

I am now on day 6 of the Aktins plan I experienced headaches for the first 4 days, now the headaches are gone, but I am becomming increasingly fatiqued. I need advice on how to combat this. I have lost 6lbs. in 6 days, but I am so tired! Pease help me, what am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-01, 15:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Suzanne,

I see you're following the Atkins plan, have you taken your vitamins? This is the usual cause for fatigue on the first week.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-01, 15:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Are you taking any supplements? A cal/mag/potassium supplement should help with fatigue.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-01, 16:01

BF:

Thank you, thank you. I just started taking vitamins 2 days ago. my Dr. suggested Centrum Silver. I should have thought of this as the culprit as I read an entire chapter on the importance of vitamins. I will keep up the vitamin intake.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 07:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Suzanne

Yes, a good quality multiple vitamin and mineral supplement is a must. Fatigue usually indicates low potassium. You can take it as a separate supplement, or you can use a salt-substitute product such as No Salt, Half Salt or Lite Salt. These contain potassium chloride, and you just sprinkle on food or use in recipes just as you would regular salt. Most multivitamins contain about 30mg of potassium ... which is barely a drop in the bucket. A large banana has 300mg potassium in it ... but of course it's too high in carbs for our purposes.

Are you taking extra calcium?? Recommended 1,000mg per day for adults, men and women both .. and 1,200mg per day for women over age 50. Calcium and magnesium play a role in muscle fatigue and weakness, so it's wise to supplement. You can find Cal & Mag conveniently combined in a single supplement.

Another thought is ... are you eating enough? Especially protein. Minimum 60g per day for an average woman, more if tall, male or very active.

Do you have an afternoon snack with some protein in it?? A lot of folks will have lunch, often a salad, then go 5 or 6 hrs or longer before eating their evening meal .... and then wonder how come they're so fatigued and ready to die when they get home from work. Try to have an afternoon protein snack.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 08:44

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default iodized salt....

Hi Doreen,
I just checked my salt ingredients and it contains Potassium Iodide since it's iodized. Am I getting my potassium and iodide then?

Thanks
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 12:01

BF:
Smile vitamins

Many thanks for the information on Cal/Mag supplements, I have not been taking any other than what is in the multivitamins I normally take. I will look for and add the combined one.
Yes, I am eating either a protein snack in the afternoon, or a drinking protein powder shake - this seems to help quite alot. I think my main issue now is that I really have never really liked vegetables (other than the starchy ones) so I am experimenting with several different ones to see how I like them prepared. I do love broccoli, green beans, and any kind of squash, however I am becoming tired of them.
It is just wonderful to have this support! I can't tell you how important it has been to me especially on those days when I have been in a real slump and wondered whether or not I was doing the right thing. I live in a very small town and all my friends think I have lost my mind going on the Aktins plan, they keep telling me I will hurt my body, or drop dead if I don't have more carbs (they are all overweight too). I just get on line and read all the posted messages from other low carbers and it gives me the lift I need to keep sticking with it!! Thanks!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 21:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Re: iodized salt ....

Quote:
Originally posted by bluugirl
I just checked my salt ingredients and it contains Potassium Iodide since it's iodized. Am I getting my potassium and iodide then?
No, not nearly enough. The potassium-bound iodine is present only in trace amounts. Your body needs more than a trace of potassium every day!

Use my suggestions above for getting extra potassium. For the record, 1/8 tsp of the NoSalt has approx. 325mg potassium, or the amount in a large banana ..

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-01, 16:25

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

thanks doreen, i do get fatigued/dizzy *sometimes*. i'm probably not getting enough K/Mg. I'll pass the banana