Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 17:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/175/130
BF:Ah, nuts
Progress: 58%
Default I'd love some advice

Normally, I'd take the time to read through all of this, but I'm in college and rather swamped with coursework, so I kind of need results and opinions more condensed.

I had blood work done (but NOT fasting cholesterol...no one told me I needed to fast beforehand then) before I started, but I couldn't tell you what the results were. Yesterday, I went in and got a repeat, and this time it included a fasting cholesterol level. They called back today, and I'm not worried, but I'm a little concerned.

They said it's OK, and did not recommend I go off the diet: my MD seems confident that continuing my diet will eventually lower my levels. THe numbers, as read to me by the nurse (on my answering machine, so I couldn't ask questions) were:
total cholesterol, 200
triglycerides, 352 (a little high, she said)
LDL, bad cholesterol, 95 (normal)
HDL, good cholesterol, 34, a little low

I want to know if there are ways I can make subtle changes in my diet to try to lower those bad levels and raise the HDL levels some more. Are there certain kinds of oils and fats I should eat more of? Certain kinds I should have less of? (I know you don't have my menu, but if you look in my journal, there's an entry in there about what I eat, but I'd even welcome any general information). Will getting more fiber help? What about veggies...are there any that are particularly useful for this (and still highish fiber)?

I appreciate all your help, and I apologise I haven't read all the other posts, which I'm sure you all have put great time and energy into. Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 18:51

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Just make sure that you are getting enough of all fats (except transfats) and you hdl should rise and triglycerides should fall. It's too bad you don't know what the results of your earlier tests were. For being on Atkins as long as you have, it is surprising they're not lower. maybe you should rn your daily menu through fitday and see what your ratios are, you want them about 65% fat calories, 30% protein, and 5% carbs.