Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 23:01
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Soy sauce question

I had been using one brand of soy sauce, and my SO likes another. We were at the store today deciding what to get. I noticed my brand had no what, but did have sugar. Hid brand had wheat, but no sugars. We ended up getting the low sodium version of his kind because I figured sugars would feed the yeast far more then wheat. What does everyone else think?

I would like to find a yeast and sugar free soy sauce, just as I would like to find a good vinigar free mayo and soy slender, they just don't seem to be for sale here and being carless driving to the next city isn't an option atm *being flat broke and even slightly in debt curtells my online shopping *
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 13:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi there,

Most supermarkets carry Kikkoman naturally brewed soy sauce, which is made from soybeans, wheat and salt. That one is definitely more desirable than the brands with sugar, caramel and the like Tastes better too, IMHO

If you have a heatlh food store .. or a some large supermarkets have a natural foods section ... look for tamari .. which is usually just soybeans and salt. It's more expensive, but the flavour is more intense than standard commercial soy sauces so you end up using less.

I know soy sauce & tamari can generally be stored at room temp, but if you have candida concerns, I suggest keeping it in the fridge to prevent yeast growth.

[edit: tamari is a fermented food, which is not permitted on a strict anti-Candida diet. In "The Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook", it's suggested that tamari *may* be used if precautions are taken. Simmer the tamari for 5 minutes right before use OR, use in a recipe that will be cooked for at least 20 minutes.]

You'll be hard-pressed to find vinegar-free mayonnaise, even in a health food store. Kraft mayo. is made with lemon juice but it has a trace of sugar in it.

I prefer to make my own home-made mayo ... using a blend of olive oil and cold-press canola oil, lemon jce etc. It's actually very easy to make .. super-duper fast and easy with a hand-held stick blender but also works just fine to use an ordinary whisk and some elbow-grease!

~~~~~

note: There are recipes in Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution Cook Book for vinegar-free mayonnaise, salad dressings and sauces specifically for Candida Yeast problems.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 14:51
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Kikkoman is the one we did end up getting, I feel better now. It's so rare I use it, but I do enjoy the taste of soy sauce. I found a health food store here that has shashimi, so when I can actuly afford it I want to get some and have it with wasabe and soy sauce

I tried the vinigar free mayo homeade. The problem I ran into was it tasted like oily lemon juice to me, though the after taste was like mayo and not bad. It didn't keep long in fridge though, and I used it so rarely it really wasn't worth it. I think when I go to maintanance if I add an LC bread in I might use it for samwiches. I have some Atkins LC bread, but I have eaten maybe 3 pieces in 2 months is all and those were in recipes I really don't crave bread or bread items. When I start back to class and need a lunch I can eat quietly at my desk while takign notes, I may have samwiches then.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 18:00
Forum Founder

BF:

Try to find Kraft mayonnaise if you can ... the amount of sugar is barely a trace .. and carb count is less than 0.3g per Tbsp.

One thing you can do is make a half recipe of home-made mayo and mix it 50:50 with the Kraft. This lessens the sugar content to teensy traces per Tbsp. To make a smaller home-made recipe ... cut all the ingredients in half except the egg. Instead of using one whole egg ... just use the yolk. You can use the egg white in next morning's omelet

I found that adding a dash of onion powder ... and even a dot of stevia .. really punches up the taste. And don't be afraid to use a little unrefined sea salt.

Just some ideas

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 14:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi LadyBelle:

I would think that if you DO NOT have a wheat allergy...the soy sauce (Kikkoman) is the better choice because we know FOR SURE that the sugar feeds the yeasty beasties.

However, I think any soy sauce is considered a no-no but I use it on occasion too

As for the Kraft Mayo from the *Buffalo picture* poster...it may have vinegar in it (if I recall correctly) and that is what gives it, its zing (vinegar is a no-no for candida).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 07:49
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Soy sauce is a fermented product and in a strict candida diet is not allowed for that reason also, besides possibly containing wheat, sugar or vinegar.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 08:25
Forum Founder

BF:

Hmmm .. I *thought* I recalled correctly that tamari was permitted on a candida diet, so I double-checked "The Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook" by Jeanne Marie Martin (excellent book, picks up and goes way beyond where Crook's "Yeast Connection" left off )

She states that fermented foods are prohibited in general, but that all-soy tamari may be used if is heated first, to kill any potential yeasts. Simmer for 5 minutes right before using, or add to a recipe that will be cooked for 20 minutes or longer.

My own candida symptoms were mild, so I did use organic tamari from the health food store, but now that I recall .. I only used it in recipes that were cooked, not as a seasoning at the table.

Another option is Bragg's Liquid Aminos, which is all-soy and non-fermented. It's really expensive though .. and Martin still recommends that it be heated before using just as for tamari.

Doreen

p.s. - I'll edit my post above to avoid confusion for other readers. Thanks for pointing this out
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 08:29
Forum Founder

BF:

re - Kraft mayonnaise ... in Canada, the product has only lemon juice, no vinegar. However, they use soybean oil which is high omega-6, and thus may not be desirable for persons trying to optimize their omega-3 EFA's. Home-made is definitely the best bet, since you are in control of what does and doesn't go in it

hth,

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 09:29
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

You're right, thanks for the elaboration. I read the book you mentioned. It was a library loan. Great book for info on supplements. I highly recommend the Essiac Tea, just get it from a reputable source!!