Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-20, 13:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default Phenylalanine and its Brain Connection

Im looking at how this chemical effects the brain. Especially how it can support the brain for some of us.

This chemical is used as an AS in many drink mixes. And while those that cannot metabilize this AS are to avoid it, Dr Amen suggests DL-phenylalanine for a specific brain issue.

Perhaps that is why my son is drawn to this drink mix, and mixes it at 4x the normal concentration.

Perhaps it makes him feel " better".

Quote:
Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid and the precursor of the amino acid tyrosine. Like tyrosine, phenylalanine is also a precursor for catecholamines including tyramine, dopamine, epinephrine, and norepinephrine. Catecholamines are neurotransmitters that act as adrenalin-like substances.

Phenylalanine | C9H11NO2 - PubChem

Quote:
Aspartame - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Aspartame
Aspartame is an artificial non-saccharide sweetener 200 times sweeter than sucrose, and is commonly used as a sugar substitute in foods and beverages. It is a methyl ester of the aspartic acid/phenylalanine dipeptide with the trade names, NutraSweet, Equal, and Canderel.
E number‎: ‎E951 (glazing agents,...) EC Number‎: ‎245-261-3
CAS Number‎: ‎22839-47-0 Boiling point‎: ‎Decomposes
‎Safety and health effects · ‎Mechanism of action · ‎History · ‎Commercial uses

I have used L-tyrosine as a dopamine booster--- which helps with the symptoms of ADD/ADHD.

If anyone one has any experience in this realm, please chime in.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-20, 14:16

BF:

Second post is missing....

Are babies tested at birth in MA???

Interesting that treatment includes a low protein diet for phenylketonuric.

"The main way to treat PKU is to eat a special diet that limits foods containing phenylalanine. Infants with PKU may be fed breast milk. They usually also need to consume a special formula known as Lofenalac. When your baby is old enough to eat solid foods, you need to avoid letting them eat foods high in protein.

Phenylketonuria: Causes, Symptoms, and Diagnosis"
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-20, 14:18

BF:

Boston Childrens Hopital info

Quote:

Treatments for Phenylketonuria (PKU) in Children
The main treatment for phenylketonuriais avoiding foods with high protein and taking special medical formula as prescribed. People with PKU should follow a low-phenylalanine diet for the rest of their lives, even if symptoms do not surface. Foods high in phenylalanine include foods such as:

beef
fish
chicken
eggs
milk
chocolate
cheese
beans
nuts
peas
soybeans
diet sodas
the artificial sweeteners, aspartame, contains phenylalanine.
Individuals with PKU often are allowed these foods in their diets in moderation:

cereals
breads
pastas
rice
fruits
vegetables
milk substitutes
Those with PKU must also take:

Phenylalanine-free baby formula or continuation of breast feeding supplemented with special formula.
Special medical formula for children and adults which contains either free amino acids but not phenylalanine or glycomacropeptide which has very little phenylalanine
If your child has also been given a trial of the PAH co-factor medication known as sapropterin (Kuvan) and found to be responsive, he or she may also be on this drug.

COuld the opposite be beneficial for the ADD/ADHD kids...... and the kids with the mimic due to a poor diet.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-20, 14:27

BF:

Somewhere in my review of Dr Amen's information ( TV, book, DVD's) he mentions chick peas as a good food for a type of ADDers.

Here it is on page 246: chickpeas for high seratonin content. The over focused type. Basically their normal levels of seratonin are too low.

Treatment of ADD using standard drug treatment can backfire if the low seratonin levels are not addressed FIRST. I remember reading this and gave my son a supplement ( 5HTP) to counter the Concerta prescription, BEFORE he started taking the Concerta.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Feb-22-20 at 15:12.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-20, 14:49

BF:

Rereading Dr A 's book, Healing ADD. Covers FAR more than the typical ADD/ADHD.

In treating a patient with depression, he suggested DL- phenylalanine and tyrosine the building blocks for norepinephrine and dopamine. Within 2 weeks the patien noticed "significant: improvement. Feeling more focused, better physical and mental energy, more positive, and more social.

He also writes that marijuana use damages the back half of the temporal lobe--- my inference is marijuana is GOOD for creating depression, and BAD for happiness.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Feb-22-20 at 15:08.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-20, 15:08

BF:

PEA is in chocolate ie cocoa

Chocolate stimulates seratonin, endorphins and phenylethlamine (PEA)

per Dr Amen.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-20, 15:14

BF:

" SIMPLE CARBHYDRATES deplete dopamine." Dr Amen

The greatest danger from antibiotics does not come from those prescribed by your doctor, but rather from the foods you eat." --Dr A
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-20, 15:25

BF:

"Aspartame is an artificial sweetener, sold under brand names such as NutraSweet® and Equal®, that has been in use in the United States since the early 1980s.Feb 11, 2019

Does Aspartame Cause Cancer? - American Cancer Societywww.cancer.org › cancer › ca "

Quote:
How can we help you?
CANCER A-Z
STAY HEALTHY
TREATMENT & SUPPORT
NEWS
OUR RESEARCH
GET INVOLVED
OUR PARTNERS
ABOUT US
Cancer Helpline800.227.2345 Live ChatSign Up Email ImageSign Up For Email

Does Aspartame Cause Cancer?
What is aspartame?
Aspartame is an artificial sweetener, sold under brand names such as NutraSweet® and Equal®, that has been in use in the United States since the early 1980s. It is used in many foods and beverages because it is much sweeter than sugar, so much less of it can be used to give the same level of sweetness.

Aspartame is commonly used as a tabletop sweetener, as a sweetener in prepared foods and beverages, and in recipes that don’t require too much heating (since heat breaks down aspartame). It can also be found as a flavoring in some medicines.

Does aspartame cause cancer?
Rumors and concerns about aspartame causing a number of health problems, including cancer, have been around for many years. Some of the concerns about cancer stem from the results of studies in rats published by a group of Italian researchers, which suggested aspartame might increase the risk of some blood-related cancers (leukemias and lymphomas). However, later reviews of the data from these studies have called these results into question. The results of epidemiologic studies (studies of groups of people) of possible links between aspartame and cancer (including blood-related cancers) have not been consistent.

In general, the American Cancer Society does not determine if something causes cancer (that is, if it is a carcinogen), but we do look to other respected organizations for help with this. Based on current research, some of these organizations have made the following determinations:

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has concluded that “the use of aspartame as a general purpose sweetener… is safe.”
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has stated, “Studies do not suggest an increased risk associated with aspartame consumption for… leukaemia, brain tumours or a variety of cancers, including brain, lymphatic and haematopoietic (blood) cancers.”
Though research into a possible link between aspartame and cancer continues, these agencies agree that studies done so far have not found such a link.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-20, 16:25

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
This chemical is used as an AS in many drink mixes. And while those that cannot metabilize this AS are to avoid it, Dr Amen suggests DL-phenylalanine for a specific brain issue.

Perhaps that is why my son is drawn to this drink mix, and mixes it at 4x the normal concentration.

I'm following your posts but I have a question in the first post: What is AS?
What drink does your son mix that has Phenylalanine in it?
Why is it in a drink mix?

Last edited by Meme#1 : Sat, Feb-22-20 at 16:36.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-20, 17:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I'm following your posts but I have a question in the first post: What is AS?
What drink does your son mix that has Phenylalanine in it?
Why is it in a drink mix?

AS artificial sugar
Great Value drink mix, aka Crystal Light
Aspartame is the artificial sugar used in the GV brand

My son loves this stuff. Had to ban him from stealing my supply. He never gets a headache from it...... unlike his full brother.

DL phenylalanine seems to be by prescription only---- but Equal is not. ( note Equal is a bigger molecule that contains phenylalanine.)
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-20, 13:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

That's fascinating, because pilots used to warn each other about Phenylalanine causing seizures. In many people it drives these levels too high.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-20, 06:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
My son loves this stuff. Had to ban him from stealing my supply. He never gets a headache from it...... unlike his full brother.

It points up how important personalized medicine should be, doesn't it? I'm so glad you found something that works for him.

I have been looking into the "dopamine gate" which is essential for closing the gap between thought and action. Turns out, niacin is another essential component for this process.

It's possible, based on Hoffer's research with PTSD and Canadian POWs held in Japanese camps (by far the worst POW experiences in that war) could have damaged or recalibrated their brain's dopamine receptors. Niacin is an amino acid which apparently helps bridge that gap.