Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-06, 15:31

Plan: candistroy
Stats: 145/145/130 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb What To Eat When On Candida Program???

im about to start the candistroy program and im wondering what other people have eaten when their on it. i know that you cannot eat fruit, bread, sugar (obviously) and many other things but has anyone had an idea or recipe even that they have eaten when they were on the program? PLEASE REPLY.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-21-06, 15:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/187/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Check out this website. It has the diet and some recipes.

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4966/index.html

I found this website very helpful. If anyone else has a website to share I would love to see them.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-21-06, 15:44

BF:
Progress:

Here's some more info I found on the diet.

Foods to avoid

Sugar -- It is best to eliminate all forms of refined sugar, as it feeds the yeast and encourages its growth. These foods include: white sugar, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, corn syrup, maple sugar, molasses, date sugar, turbinado, raw sugar, demerrara, amisake, rice syrup, sorghum.

Read labels carefully. The hidden sugars to watch for include: sucrose, fructose, maltose, lactose, glycogen, glucose, mannitol, sorbitol, galactose, monosaccharides, polysaccharides.

Fruit -- Fruit contain natural sugars that support the growth of yeast. The following foods should be eliminated:
o Frozen, canned, and dried fruit
o All canned and frozen fruit juice
o Oranges and orange juice
o Melons, especially cantaloupe.
Yeast -- Foods that contain yeast should be eliminated. These include: Baker's yeast, Brewer's yeast, Engevita, Torula, and any other nutritional yeast. Baked goods raised with yeast such as breads, rolls, crackers, bagels, pastries, and muffins should also be eliminated.
Foods Containing Gluten -- These include wheat, barley, and rye and includes products made with these ingredients such as wheat bread, rye bread, and pasta.
Vinegar/Wine -- Vinegar is made with a yeast culture. Foods that contain vinegar include: White vinegar, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, commercial salad dressing, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, BBQ sauce, shrimp sauce, soy sauce, mustard, pickles, pickled vegetables, green olives, relishes, horseradish, mincemeat, chili sauce
Mushrooms -- Mushrooms are fungi. Eliminate all mushrooms.
Peanuts, Peanut Butter, and Pistachios -- Peanuts, peanut butter, and pistachios often have high mold contamination and should be eliminated.
Alcohol -- Alcoholic beverages provide sugar that feeds the yeast and stresses other organs such as the liver. Eliminate all forms of alcohol, including red wine, white wine, beer, whiskey, brandy, gin, scotch, any fermented liquor, vodka, rum, and all liqueurs.
Coffee, Black Tea, Cider, Root beer -- Coffee and black tea create an extra burden for the body's stress-coping mechanisms. Regular coffee, instant coffee, decaffeinated coffee, and all types of black tea (including "fruit flavored" black tea) should be eliminated. Cider, root beer, and other fermented beverages should be eliminated. Healthy alternatives include: water, vegetable broth, fresh vegetable juice, herbal teas.
Aged, Moldy and Processed Cheeses -- Roquefort and other aged, moldy or blue cheeses should be eliminated. Also eliminate processed cheese such as cheese slices, Velveeta, Cheese Whiz, cream cheese, cheese snacks, and Kraft dinner.
Processed, Dried, Smoked, and Pickled Meats -- These include products such as smoked salmon, pickled herring, sausages, bacon, hot dogs, pastrami, bologna, sandwich meats, salami, corned beef, pickled tongue, and kolbassa. These products are processed and many contain unhealthy nitrates and nitrites, so they are not recommended for use at any time.

Packaged, Processed, and Refined Foods -- Canned, bottled, packaged, boxed, and other processed foods usually contain yeast, refined sugar, refined flour, chemicals, preservatives, and coloring. They are not recommended at any time.

Foods You Can Eat

Foods You Can Eat -- YEAH!! -- Here we go!
Protein - Eggs, fish, chicken, turkey, seafood, lamb, or veal, sauteed in a little
butter or safflower oil or baked with vegetables.

Vegetables - Steamed, sauteed, or baked vegetables, especially onions, garlic,
cabbage, broccoli, turnips, and kale. All vegetables are fine
except potatoes and corn, which are high in carbohydrates.

Sauteed - vegetables with eggs on rice cakes, or a vegetable omelet.

Salads - seasoned with safflower oil and a little fresh lemon juice.

Gazpacho - tomato-based fish chowder, vegetable soup, chicken or
lamb stew.

Small quantities of rice and millet. A cold rice salad with steamed
vegetables, seasoned with oil and lemon juice;

sauteed rice with shrimp, chicken, and vegetables, or simply steamed vegetables
with either grain are a few ideas that will work on this program.

Rice cakes, found in some supermarkets and health food stores,
can be used instead of bread.
Vegetable sticks with guacamole dip (avocado, fresh tomatoes, onions,
lemon juice, and a little salt) for a snack.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-06, 11:08

BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much! whatta a help when i first read the things you COULDNT eat... it almost makes you depressed. you cant have pretty much anything. but the food you can eat are pretty much foods that i enjoy anyway. thankyou terry. have you taken the candida diet before?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-06, 11:51

BF:
Progress:

Ellyssa,

Yeah, I'm on the Candida diet right now. I found out I had Candida 2 1/2 months ago. Doctor did the blood test and sure enough I had candida floating around in my blood.

I suspect I had Candida for 5 or more years. I'v been to a dozen of doctors with no one able to help me. But, I found a great doctor. I'm on Diflucin, Acidophilus and the candida diet.

I suggest the Carob Chip Oatmeal Cookies from the Karen Tripp website (there Awesome).

1 egg
1/2 teaspoon Stevia powder concentrate
2 packages of artificial sweetener (like Equal, Twin)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup oats
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup millet flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup unsweetened carob chips

Beat together first 5 ingredients. Add in flours, soda and oats. Mix well. Add in carob chips.

Divide into cookies and bake 10-12 mins at 350 degrees F. Makes about 12-14 cookies.

Optional: add cinnamon and/or nuts
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-24-06, 08:42

BF:
Progress:

hey terry, so how long have you been on the candida diet? im trying it out because i heard all the good stuff about doing the program, plus im a sugarholic so it'll help me slow down im going to start the program soon but im afraid about the withdrawls that you get. some people have told me that there isnt any at all, only a nasty sugar craving.

anyway, thanks for the recipe and everything else and i hope you have a merry christmas.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-24-06, 10:27

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I would avoid all sugar and that includes all grains. Rice cakes are one of the worst foods you can eat. They are low cal but extremley high glycemic.

Unitl your condition clears I would avoid all carbs and eat just meat,eggs and non starchy veggies.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-24-06, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 99
BF:
Progress: 12%

Onions? Aren't onions high in natural sugar. I may be wrong?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-06, 11:07

BF:
Progress:

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the info on the carbs. My doctor wants me to eat at least 2 small carbs a day, along with non-starchy vegs and protein. But he also has me on Diflucan, Bowel Cleaner, Acidophilus, and vitamins.

That's very good advise, I would really watch the carbs. Most days I try to get all my carbs from just Vegs.

I'm new to all this Candida stuff. I have been on the Candida diet for 2 months now and I feel 75% better. I don't feel like I'm slowly dieing anymore.

It's been very frustration though. There's alott of conflicting dooks/Websites on the Candida diet. What I'm learning is to try and keep your food intake to Vegs and Protein as much as you can, the simpler your menu the better it is for starving the candida.

I have learned to love Steiva.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-06, 16:18
Registered Member

Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Everyone is different, too. I can't eat rice very often at all but my dh can have a small portion of brown rice almost daily and he is doing very well with his candida program. For baked goods, try to sub lo carb whey protein powder and ground nut flours for the wheat and high carb flours in your recipes. Alot of people with candida are sensitive to wheat,too.
Xylitol as a sweetner also hinders the candida from adhering to the wall of the intestines, so its also a good choice with stevia.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-06, 09:22

BF:
Progress:

thanks guys. your all alot of help. but, where can i get stevia? or ground nut flours? they all sound so complicated to be in a grocery store...
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-06, 10:56

BF:
Progress:

You can get "Pure Stevia Extract" and "Nut Flour" Flax and Almond from all health stores. I get mine from "Whole Foods" here in Dallas.

I also can get Nut Flours from "Super Kroger" stores. They have a whole food section that's always stocked with whole food products.

Try ordering your Stevia from this link for $5.00

http://www.myvitanet.com/purstevexpow.html

Stevia normally cost $13.00 to $14.00 dollars per 1.3 oz. I just received my order from this site and only paid $5.00 for each of my 1.3 oz bottles. I'll order more today, because I'm not sure how long they will sell Stevia at such a low price.

The "Pure Stevia" tastes the best in your coffee, tea and baking goods.

Hang in there once you start using all the new suggestions and products, it will become second hand and very normal for you. In fact I''ll always use Stevia and Nut flour. who needs the unhealthy flours anymore need your cookies and cakes taste better with Nut Flours. Wish I would have known sooner.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-06, 07:56
Registered Member

Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I'm not a big fan of Walmart but I did find stevia in the baking section and xylitol in the diabetic section, there. They also have ground flax seed in the vitamins section. Terry, thanks for the $5 stevia link, great price!!!
It is overwhelming but gets easier, just take on one thing at a time. The diet is soooo much easier when you can have a treat every now and then. If you love ice cream, like me, try blending 1 can coconut milk with 2-3 T coco powder and stevia and freezing in popsicle molds. I use carob powder, too. Coconut milk slows candida so this is a great addition to your diet and it's creamy, a little treat.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-06, 08:36

BF:
Progress:

THANKS guys i probably would have gone crazy looking for recipes and food stores and things that i could eat if it wasnt for all of you. wish me luck for january..... im a bit excited about it. i heard you get alot of energy after a couple of weeks of being on it. and thats exaclty what i need.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 15:17

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosugarPLS
I'm not a big fan of Walmart but I did find stevia in the baking section and xylitol in the diabetic section, there. They also have ground flax seed in the vitamins section. Terry, thanks for the $5 stevia link, great price!!!
It is overwhelming but gets easier, just take on one thing at a time. The diet is soooo much easier when you can have a treat every now and then. If you love ice cream, like me, try blending 1 can coconut milk with 2-3 T coco powder and stevia and freezing in popsicle molds. I use carob powder, too. Coconut milk slows candida so this is a great addition to your diet and it's creamy, a little treat.

Nosugar,

I love ice cream.......

Where do you find Coconut milk?

I have popsicle molds, I can't wait to make some popsicle's. You could freeze the mixture and put it in the blender and have soft ice cream in a bowl. Wow I'm excited