Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 07:52
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default Beware Low Carb frankenfoods as per SBD

The Daily Dish is published by South Beach online. It comes to my email daily and gives good tips!!
Beware Frankenfoods!!

Quote:
Avoiding Expensive Diet Gimmicks

(Published 2/2/05) Trying to save money while dieting? The surest way to spend big bucks is to allow yourself to be taken in by expensive gimmicks. With an abundance of fad diets and products on the market, confusion is enemy number one for your wallet. Here are a few to watch out for:

1. Deceptive labeling. The term “low-carb” is not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), yet manufacturers have found sneaky ways to use it on food packaging. Terms like “carb smart,” “carb friendly,” and “carb aware” are all unregulated, and are virtually meaningless for dieters. Until the FDA sets guidelines for the use of these terms, consumers should be wary of what they promise. Remember, The South Beach Diet™ is not a low-carb plan. The focus is on selecting the right carbs — ones that are whole grain and nutrient-rich.

2. Tricky addition and subtraction. “Net carbs” is another confusing term. As with other carb-related labels, there are no rules for how net carbs are calculated. Don’t shell out the cash for a product based on its net-carb total — you may be getting more than you bargained for.

3. “Magic” pills. No pill on the market can guarantee long-term weight loss. In fact, most diet pills offer nothing more than empty promises at a huge price. The Federal Trade Commission recently launched a campaign to root out companies marketing products with bogus weight-loss claims. Their “Big Fat Lie” program shows that the best way to lose weight is through healthy diet and exercise, and not through magic pills.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 10:31
Attitude is a Choice

shameless bump
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 08:06
Attitude is a Choice

Default 7/20/05 Daily Dish

Today's Daily Dish
Quote:
No More Wasting Food!

(Published 7/20/05) Eating healthy can be expensive. The last thing you need is to throw away food because it spoiled before you had a chance to use it. The good news is, with some careful planning, you can easily avoid wasting food. Here's how:

The South Beach Diet™ recipes are good places to go for inspiration for your daily meals. However, some recipes, admittedly, are not ideal for the budget-conscious. A recipe containing 10 or more ingredients can be costly. To save money, refashion the recipes to fit your budget, or plan your own meals with your own ingredients. Once you grasp the principles of The South Beach Diet™ lifestyle, you'll have all the knowledge you need to create your own recipes.
Before you hit the grocery store, know exactly what you plan to make for the next two or three days, or even the next week. Make a list of foods you'll need, and don't stray from the list.
Fresh vegetables pose the biggest challenge for shoppers trying to save money. To avoid waste, don't overbuy at the market. It can be tempting to pick up extra vegetables from the produce aisle, but veggies spoil quickly. Instead, buy just what you need for the next few days, and use up what you have before buying more.
One of the best ways to save money and reduce waste is to keep your meals simple. Versatile food items such as grilled meat or fish, steamed vegetables, and simple salads can work well any night of the week for dinner. Leftovers can be used for lunch the following day. Remember that reducing waste is the first step toward saving money while on a diet.
If you cook a big meal on the weekends and plan to eat the leftovers throughout the week, make sure you use airtight containers to prevent spoilage. Also, some foods may lose their appeal after one or two days. To make them more appetizing, use them as the base for another dish. For example, a roast chicken can be eaten for three to four days, and after that, you can use any leftover meat to make soup.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 08:17
Attitude is a Choice

Default Quick meals and tips

This is from the SBD site.....

Quote:
Quick Meals and Tips

In a rush? Here are tips you can use to make nearly any South Beach Diet™ meal quick:

When a recipe calls for spinach or salad greens, use prewashed, bagged varieties.
Instead of mincing garlic by hand, throw whole cloves into the food processor. Refrigerate any leftovers in a plastic sandwich bag and use within one week. Jarred minced garlic can also be purchased at the grocery store.
For the fastest chicken dinner, pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or deli. Ask the butcher to carve it for you, or even to debone the breast. One whole chicken can usually feed two to four people. Buy one for dinner and another one for a few days of lunches. Pick chickens with firm, smooth skin. (Wrinkled skin means old, dry chicken.)
In many recipes, you can use dried herbs in place of fresh. Taste will be sacrificed somewhat, so you should stick with fresh if it's a major component of the recipe. Otherwise, substitute about 1 teaspoon of dried herbs for each tablespoon fresh.
When you have some downtime, boil eggs to use as snacks or on salads during the week. Unpeeled boiled eggs can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Cut a piece of fresh Parmesan off a block and grind it with the chopping blade of your food processor to the consistency you enjoy. Both the ground Parmesan and the block can be stored in plastic containers in the refrigerator, where they'll keep fresh for months, possibly up to one year. To keep the block from drying out, wrap it in a moist paper towel.
Firmer vegetables, like green beans and broccoli, also freeze well. In recipes that call for these types of vegetables, feel free to use frozen varieties.
Food processors or vegetable choppers can cut your veggie prep time down significantly.

#5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 09:21

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

SO true Judy!!!!! I stayed away from Frankenfoods for a bid and it got me losing again
I haven't had a South Beach Diet Kraft Bar or TV Dinner in a week
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 09:28

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi Judy! I know I am not SB, but the tips are wonderful! Thanks for sharing them!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 09:37
Attitude is a Choice

Hey Scruffy!!

I'm glad that you like them....isn't it better to try to be one big happy family of lowcarbers???? As opposed to all these plan wars? I hate it when it happpens!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 09:41
Wanna Be A Loser!

Plan: SouthBeach
Stats: 216.4/212/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Thanks Judy! And a GREAT bump you did! You about knocked me over..... baaahaaaahaaahaaaaaa!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 09:41

BF:

You are so reading my mind! But, it seems as though we are all in different categories! I felt safe posting in this thread you started simply because you began it! I just want to eat foods that will aid in my losses and soon to be maintenance...someday I will research SB! I am a tightwad so am watching at yard sales and Goodwill for the SB book!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 09:42

BF:

I mean, how can one say something doesn't work if one doesn't research and understand it? See! I am not a my way or no way kind of gal! I just want the way that will work!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 08:32
Attitude is a Choice

Talking Sweet Treats!!

SBD Daily Dish for 7/22/05

Quote:
Satisfying Your Sweet Tooth

(Published 7/22/05) Looking for sweet treats that won't sabotage your diet? Sugar substitutes such as aspartame and saccharin are fine on the South Beach Diet™. So is Splenda, a natural sugar substitute made from sugar cane. Here's what Dr. Agatston recommends for satisfying your sweet tooth:

Sugar-free gelatin
Ricotta cheese with vanilla or almond extract and mixed with a sugar substitute
Sugar-free fudgsicles
Sugar-free hard candies
Sugar-free Popsicles
Sugarless chewing gum
Chocolate powder, no-added-sugar
Sugar-free, caffeine-free carbonated sodas
Sugar-free, caffeine-free drink mixes (like Crystal Lite)
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 14:22

Plan: Atkins.
Stats: 226/222/161 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 6%

SB products haven't arrived in the UK and Atkins products have been phased out too. I actually don't miss the frankenfood too much either.
For chocolate I eat sugar-free stuff made for diabetics. For a sweet summer treat I freeze Muller Light yogurts.
I do drink some diet coke but not caffeine free but I rearly drink tea or coffee and I mostly drink water and always have done.
I do miss fruit juice, the most though and do like the occasional
Whole Earth sparkling Cranberry juice.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 16:41
Attitude is a Choice

Hi emmy...

Just want to tell you that I love your CKCS (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel). I adore the breed!! They are always happy and so sweet!!

And just one quick comment about the SBD Kraft foods, they are franken foods just as the atkins foods are and are to be avoided if at all possible.

The best choices are still whole fresh foods as much as possible.

Last edited by Judynyc : Fri, Jul-22-05 at 18:15.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 17:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
The best choices are still whole fresh foods as much as possible.

Amen to that! Strawberries sound yummy tonight!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 08:12

Plan: SB,FFP
Stats: 239.4/239.4/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I do miss my cranberry juice too.........but noticed some at a Food World the other day called light cranberry juice and it is sweetened with splenda...........can I get a Whoop-Whoop for splenda.....the stuff is great.
I didnt buy any as I was there with my mom and didnt have any "dough" on me. But I may get some next time I am there. As a special treat for when I hit my 220's.