Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#301   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 00:22

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

A propos South Beach, I bought the book by Dr Agaston and it looked as though it would be tough for me to lose weight on the post-induction phase. I never did a really clean induction on any diet including Atkins but there no denying the appetite suppressant effect of low carb which is what makes all the difference for me even if my carbs are above induction level.
Sponsored Links
  #302   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 08:41

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Confession time: I am so far from low-carb right now it's pitiful. Time to get back to it. I don't lose, nor do I even feel good when I do this, so why do I do it? I don't know.
  #303   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 17:59

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

I know how you feel Carol.
I'm back up (almost to where I started), so I'm disappointed in myself.
The plan only works when you stick with it!

Last edited by mojolissa : Thu, Jul-05-18 at 18:19.
  #304   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 00:19

BF:

I don't know if this issue will ever be truly resolved. When I see people who say they are virtually no carb and can stick to it for years I'm amazed. But for now I'm back in good place and hope to repair the damage done by carb creep. If I ever get to goal, I shall have to figure out how maintenance works! That will certainly be a challenge. By the way, black bean noodles ARE great. I had some the other day. They dont' taste of much but they have a great texture.
  #305   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: Lowish carb/PPLP
Stats: 208/150/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I'm jumping in here. I'm pretty much maintaining my weight but really want to lose another 10 lbs. But I've been wanting to lose it for three years now. (Doc says I'm 20 lbs. overweight, but I haven't been 135 since my 30s and I'm nearly 70 now). The problem is I go super strict, lose 8 - 10 lbs. and then don't keep it off.

I think part of my problem is I eat at church twice a week and don't have any plans to end that practice. If my only high carb meals were those, I'd do fine. But it becomes a slippery slope from twice a week to other excuses to eat high carb -- like when a neighbour brings me baked goods or Blue Bell ice cream goes on sale.

So... I'm going to commit to Protein Power Life Plan and follow the steps. Which means keeping protein at around 80 gr. a day, one week at strict carb (30-40 gr. a day) and then more liberal for the transition stage (55-70 gr.carbs). I lost 50 lbs. on PP in the late 90s, and have returned to it several times so I know it's a good plan for me.
The reason I'm posting in this thread is the PP thread is completely dead. I need some support from folks who are not horrified that I eat gluten and fruit. Since Low Carb Friends forum closed down I've been struggling to find a place I might fit in. Hopefully this thread might be that place.
  #306   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 08:27
Registered Member

BF:

For those of you struggling with weight gain/loss/gain, I'm convinced that our bodies really do have a set point that they try to stay at. But I also believe that the set point can be lowered the more faithful we are at healthy eating. I know the idea of set point is considered outdated, but as I look back over the last 20 years I notice that my weight gain is not as dramatic as it used to be. Getting under 175 and staying there was very difficult but after I maintained around 165-170 for about a year, then lost more, it appears my set point has lowered to around 155-160. I am convinced when I get to below 145 and stay there, my set point will lower even more.

So, please don't get discouraged. We are not on a diet, but a way of life, rocky as it might be.
  #307   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 07:10

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I agree that our bodies have a set point. For the longest time my set point was 206. I would lose a bit, but as soon as I wavered I was back to 206. I wanted to get and stay below 200. Finally, I did it. I have been fluctuating in the 190s now for about a month. Up a few, down a few, but never going back over 200 or getting down into the 180s. But I know if I persevere I will do it. I don't eat sweets or junk food, but my meals are not Atkins-like low carb, just much lower carb than they used to be. Hopefully my new set-point will be in the 180s.
  #308   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 06:20
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for posting, Carol. We all need the encouragement. I just wish this forum was more active. I really miss Low Carb Friends as it was very active and folks posted daily in most threads. But I'm going to stick it out here.

I'm not doing too well on the first week of PP. I do great during the day but blow it in the evenings. No weight loss, but no gain either.
  #309   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 04:55

BF:

Hi there. I am not planning on staying in this thread as I'm trying to get back to a somewhat stricter approach to carbs, though I am pretty sure I'm never going to go zero. However, I do think there is a very valid underlying discussion to be had. We know that the lower your carbs the easier it is to eat less and not think about food. But we start worrying about that and we think not thinking about food is somehow bad or at least boring. I suspect the reason is that there are many systems in our body to keep us alive and apart from the physical feedback mechanisms there are also other subtler things that make us want to get excited about eating (or other live-preserving activities!). You sort of need to be a monk about food. :-) I still enjoy low carb food though. You can make it more appealing with flavours and textures and challenge yourself to make gourmet meals within the parameters. That's the challenging I'm giving myself right now!!
  #310   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 09:03

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Knock, knock? Anybody home?

I was off for a while gaining (injury/stress/mother failing/dying), but now I've lost for 3 weeks in a row, and am feeling more like the ice beneath my feet isn't so thin.

Abilene - and others - how are you doing?

I'm paying attention to getting more protein this time around. A lot of my hair fell out last year when I lost all that weight; first time ever despite many times losing. I think it was the fasting not adding up to enough protein in a day. So far I'm hitting the protein smoothies pretty hard. Putting extra fiber in them and stuff like chia seeds, frozen spinach (the only way I can stand it!), MCT oil, fruit sometimes although I would rather eat it on the side generally.

One thing I liked about fasting was not having to decide what to eat. Protein powder smoothies are pretty similar and deciding what to put in them reminds me a bit of mud-pie "cooking" when I was a kid - a little of this, a little of that, what else can I add?

Since I am re-losing regained weight, which is the worst, I'm reminding myself "one day at a time". I'm also mindful, however, that the ultimate goal is determining a way of eating I can realistically stick to most of the time. I no longer dream of low weight goals, but I would like to reduce my set point ever downward. I think set-point still is a real thing, and also that it can be reset. I believe I've managed to re-set mine 30 lbs below what it used to be. Recent experts I've seen say the longer you can stay at a weight, the more likely you will continue to stay there, with the minimum probably being one year, with two years better.

I'm willing to commit to posting here more often. The unrelenting vlc/keto drumbeat here gets to me sometimes and I miss LCF too, as I used to go there to read about people's different experiences with more varied diets.
  #311   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 05:46
Registered Member

BF:

JL -- good to see someone else posting. I just about gave up as very few post here. Sorry about the hair loss - I experienced that a couple of years ago and only about half grew back. I hope all of yours comes back.

I'm not doing as well as hoped. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around "dieting" these days. And yes, I do need to diet for a few weeks to get my body back to not craving sweets. I haven't lost anything the past month unless you count the 3 lbs. yo-yo I seem to be on. Then I've lost 15 lbs.! But I recommitted and would like to see myself below 150 on my 70th birthday, 7 weeks from now. That is 6 lbs. and I should be able to do that.

I've been tempted by the cabbage soup diet minus most of the fruit (except berries) and carby veggies. Maybe something that is prescribed for a week would get me moving in the right direction.
  #312   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 10:43

Abilene,

Well, maybe if we post more often, other people will too.

Quote:
I just can't seem to wrap my mind around "dieting" these days. And yes, I do need to diet for a few weeks to get my body back to not craving sweets.

I know how that goes. Sometimes a person just isn't ready. How do we go from "not ready" to ready is a mystery to me though.

The cabbage soup diet is one I haven't tried.

Have you ever tried the Potato Hack? http://vegetablepharm.blogspot.com/...to-diet_14.html

Quote:
The rules for the Potato Hack are simple. If you are eating something that is not a potato, you are doing it wrong.

1. Plan on eating just potatoes for 3 to 5 days
2. Eat 2-5 pounds of potatoes each day
3. No other foods allowed (this includes butter, sour cream, cheese, and bacon bits!)
4. Salt, pepper, and vinegar allowed, but not encouraged
5. Drink when thirsty; coffee, tea, and water only
6. Heavy exercise is discouraged, light exercise and walking are encouraged
7. Take your normal medications, but dietary supplements will not be needed

Expected results from 3-5 days of the Potato Hack:

· Fat loss of 3-5 pounds
· Reduction in inflammation, joint pain
· Reduction in digestive complaints
· Increased insulin sensitivity, lower fasting blood glucose levels
· Restoration of healthy intestinal bacteria
· Continued weight loss upon resumption of normal diet

Many people report that, for the first time in a long time, they are not hungry despite eating such a bland diet of restricted calories. People report better sleep and habitual snorers stop snoring. Those that have watched an un-budging scale for months or years report daily losses of ½ -1 pound, and the weight does not come back on, as in other “crash” diets.

I've done it, for 3 days and yes, it works. Potatoes are nutritious and satiating. https://scottabelfitness.com/potato...-satiety-index/ A guy in Australia ate only potatoes for a year, was very healthy at the end of it, lost something like 100 lbs and said he had a completely different relationship to food as a result.

(As a diabetic, I found I could eat 4 oz of potato at a time without spiking too much and then it would go back down within 2 hrs.)
  #313   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-18, 12:40
Registered Member

BF:

JL - my first thought was I can't do that as I'm diabetic. But if you had good success, maybe I should try it. #3 would be the hardest as I do love a loaded baked potato! But haven't had one for years.
There are several versions of the cabbage soup diet, but all combine a LC vegetable soup with one other food each day. The soup is actually quite good and I might try it with a protein each day. I really don't want to experience any more hair loss!

This is the version of the soup I made:
Quote:
7-Day Diet Weight Loss Soup (Wonder Soup)

Author: Divas Can Cook
Recipe type: Soup

Ingredients
½ head of cabbage, chopped (I used one small head)
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup white or yellow onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
14 oz can basil, oregano, garlic diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
few shakes of black pepper
½ teaspoon salt (optional)

Instructions
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add celery, onions, bell peppers, and carrots.
Saute until slightly tender.
Stir in garlic.
Pour in chicken broth.
Stir in tomatoes and cabbage.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
Cook until cabbage is tender.
Stir in oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt (if using)
Taste broth and adjust seasoning if needed.
Serve and enjoy!
Notes
~TIPS~
Jazz it up by adding lots of spices, herbs and a variety of veggies.
This makes enough for about 3 days.
Keeps well in the fridge for about 3 days.

http://divascancook.com/wonder-soup...t-cabbage-soup/
  #314   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-18, 13:31

Hm...sounds like something Weight Watchers does too. My sister was always eating some homemade "free" vegetable soup that looked like it had spinach in it. Maybe I should ask her for the recipe, or try yours, and expand my vegetable eating. I'm not crazy about them but can tolerate them in a soup sometimes if there's enough of a tasty base. I would probably put some Miracle Rice in there too for added fiber, which would also make it more filling.

I've made this recipe several times and we all liked it: https://www.marthastewart.com/31810...-vegetable-soup

Is the cabbage supposed to do something in particular for weight loss?

As a diabetic, I never would have tried the Potato Hack either, but saw some people doing so here a few years back, and I've been reading Tim Steele's (Vegetable Pharm blog, The Potato Hack Diet)stuff for quite some time. He has the experience of many people who have tried it to report on too.

Last edited by JLx : Sun, Aug-05-18 at 13:34. Reason: added potato comments
  #315   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 10:25
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the recipe - it looks good. Leave out the starchy veggies and add cabbage, and you'd have cabbage soup.
The cabbage isn't a magic ingredient in the diet -- it is used as a low calorie/ high fiber filler. I think for folks who don't care for cabbage, another very low calorie vegetable could be substituted.

I purchased a 5 oz. potato last evening, baked it, and am chilling it. I thought I'd eat it this afternoon to test my bs rise. I found a blog of someone who tried the potato hack and lost even though she drank coffee with 2 - 3 Tbs. cream each morning. But I can certainly give up coffee for three days if this might jump-start me.

Right now I'm holding my own with lower carb, no chocolate <sigh>, and limiting snacking. Sort of PP in the higher level. But I'm not losing.

How are you doing?