Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 18:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Oprah lost weight again with resistance training!!

I was really inspired by this article http://www.theolympian.com/home/new...ing/26150.shtml I read it in the Chicago Sun-Times on Friday. I had heard somewhere that she Low Carbed. Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 19:51
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

It says in the article
Quote:
....Its author, Christiane Northrup, suggested eliminating refined carbohydrates. So Winfrey cut out white rice, white pasta and white bread, and she cut back on salt.

"I lost 10 pounds almost immediately. At that point, I wasn't trying to lose weight - I was trying not to die."

Enter Greene again. In January, the two devised a training plan, alternating upper- and lower-body workouts at least five times a week, along with doing 30 minutes of aerobic exercise each day.

"I'm on no particular diet, I just eat smaller portions, and I still watch the refined carbohydrates," she writes. "I favor fish, chicken, fruit, vegetables and lots of soups. And I don't eat after 7:30 p.m. Not even a grape."

Sounds like low carb to me!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 01:53

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

It may be lower carb, but on shows I've seen she definitly pushes the low fat belief! I've heard her at least once make a disparing comment about Atkins.

Last edited by CindySue48 : Sun, Dec-15-02 at 01:56.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187/166.5/160 Male 69 in
BF:
Progress: 76%

There was one show where she was discussing being on a low carb diet but gave it up because she said "I just gotta eat bread" .
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 02:53

BF:

Were they recent shows? She looks great, that's for sure. I wonder if just exercising and watching the carb intake - cutting out white flour, rice, refined junk foods, french fries, etc. would be enough. My hunch is that is probably the way to go - no quick weight loss but it should be lasting.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 06:39

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Yes it works, that's exactly how I lost the weight. I just cut out all white and refined foods and lost 10 lbs right away, just as Oprah did. And it was very quick, all in one month. However I haven't lost any more since then, but then I haven't started on an excersice program either

Last edited by Angeline : Mon, Dec-16-02 at 06:42.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 19:30

BF:

Angeline, interesting
Before I started Atkins I had blimped up to 188 I think. It was when I quit smoking a year and a half ago. I exercised like crazy for a few months and dropped a lot of weight right away.

Now I have been exercising pretty regularly at home, and I am noticing I look a lot better in the mirror, but the pounds are not dropping.