Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 10:00

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%
Unhappy really horrid diarrhea

I have been doing LC for almost 4 months and love the weight loss, and in the beginning I felt great physically. However in the past month I have been suffering from dizzy spells when walking fast outdoors (only happens outside - when I exercise in the gym I don't notice it at all) and on and off diarrhea which has caught me in some very unpleasant situations (on my speedwalk 2 km away from my home - making it back was agony) - pure liquid comes out of me. Now I take lots of vitamins/supplements and I eat heaps of veggies - salads, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, green beans, green peppers - have high-fat salad dressings like pure mayo or caesar - I eat a wide variety of meats - chicken, beef, pork, fish - and eggs. I'm drinking lots of water in fear of getting dehydrated - I do eat lots of cheese in hopes that it will help bind me but have eaten lots of cheese from the beginning. I eat the occasional Advantage bar - haven't noticed a specific correlation between bar and diarrhea. I also use Splenda in my morning coffee. Supplements are GNC Women's Mega Vitamin, Vit. C (1000 mg x 3/day), Vit. B12 (1200 mg x 1/day), Omega 3,6&9 Essential Oils x3/day, Calcium/Magnesium x 3/day, Chromium x 2/day, L-Carnitine x3/day, CoQ10 x1/day - tried slowing the Omega oils to x2/day for a couple of weeks to see if that helped but it didn't. This past weekend I woke at 4:00 Sunday morning and was in the washroom 12 times, then about 5 times more throughout the day. Today it's been 3 times already and it's not yet noon. I've eaten clear foods mostly since yesterday but it's still very loose. Now I'm wondering if it's a virus or even our water, because my son has had similar problems though not nearly as severe, and he's not doing Atkins or eating the bars. My doctor said it was probably Irritable Bowel Syndrome and to take Metamucil (3.6 g sugar / teaspoon) so I bought the Psyllium husks alone - took a teaspoon Sat. afternoon - maybe that made me sick on Sun. morning - he also said not to take Imodium or Pepto Bismal, so I have no way of relieving it.
Sorry for the novel here, but I could really use help ...
thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi there,

Sorry you're having this problem!! Ugghh. OK, first thought that comes to my mind ... too much vitamin C. While 1000mg 3x per day may not be too much for some people, for other sensitive individuals that is way more than enough to cause the watery diarrhea you're experiencing. I'd cut it out entirely for a time, then add it back, but restrict to 100mg per dose, preferably a timed-release formula to reduce irritation. Another option is to choose a buffered form, such as Ester-C .. but again, take a lower dose.

Psyllium or other fiber / bulk products will help by "soaking up" the water and slowing things down

You're wise to ensure adequate hydration; I'd be concerned about potassium and magnesium loss as well, so might be wise to ensure supplements of those minerals.

Has your dr. ordered to have a stool sample done?? If this persists beyond today, I would be seeking medical attention .. yes, it could be an infection, and you could become quite ill. A stool sample would show whether it's virus or bacteria, and if you need an antibiotic.

hth,

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:47

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

Thanks Doreen - I think I will make an appointment with the doctor. I really appreciate your reply, and in the meantime I will cut out the vit.C. Thanks again,
AJ
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:53
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

You could have a virus it has been going around I would definetely go see the doctor
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 02:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/190/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

Hello....I was reading this particular post in hopes that it might shed some light on the extremely inconvenient (and very watery) diarrhea that I have been experiencing also. I have been on Dr. A's diet for the past two 1/2 weeks with no problem until the last few days when the diarrhea started. I have not started any supplements yet, as they make me sick to my stomache. I only use 1 packet of splenda with green tea every now and then(so not everyday). lots of water and lots of fattey meats, 20 carbs or less so far. any suggestions?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 21:15

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hey Nobread, did you ever get this figured out?

I have the same problem. I was fine at first and then experienced the same thing a little over a week into the program. I can't track it to any particular food.

I hope someone sees this thread that has some ideas.

~Squid
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 00:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

My MIL had never tried Splenda, so I made some almond cookies for her and she was ILL. She couldn't leave the bathroom for hours. I felt awful!!
I would try leaving it out for a while to see if it helps. Try Stevia root extract, a natural sweetener. It comes in powders and liquids, some of the powders even contain psyllium as well. Some people take it as a suppliment, but I'm not sure what for. I have never heard of any ill effects from it. In Europe is is commonly used in baking now, but US industry relies too much on sugar, so it will probably never become as popular here.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-21, 02:51

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

I can't handle splenda either. Horrible pain follows. I can handle all other AS without problem.