Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 21:09

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default I discovered sugar free jello!

OMG! I had not even really thought much about "dessert?" since I started eating low carb, (I'm still sort of a newb).

On a lark, I grabbed a couple packages of sugar free strawberry Jello at the store and made it up in a mixing bowl and put it in the fridge to cool. A few hours later I got it out just to taste, (sure it was going to have a cruddy fake sugar taste), and it was GOOD! WOW! I ate the whole bowl myself right then and there

Next I tried making Jello 1 2 3 and it came out Jello 1 3 but it was still pretty good! (I used the store brand lite whipped topping in the recipe because it was 2 carbs per serving instead of the 3 in cool whip lite). We had it tonite for dessert

Last edited by TucsonBill : Thu, Oct-05-17 at 21:15.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 09:23

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Cool Whip Lite:
INGREDIENTS: WATER, CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, SODIUM POLYPHOSPHATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR).

Hydrogenated vegetable oil is always transfat, I believe.

Sugar Free Strawberry Jello:

Ingredients
INGREDIENTS: GELATIN, ADIPIC ACID (FOR TARTNESS), DISODIUM PHOSPHATE (CONTROLS ACIDITY), MALTODEXTRIN (FROM CORN), FUMARIC ACID (FOR TARTNESS), ASPARTAME** (SWEETENER), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (SWEETENER), SALT, RED 40. **PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE

I was disappointed to see Dr. Bernstein recommend sugar free jello in his book for diabetics. Personally I don't think it is good-for-you "food", due to the aspartame, Ace-K, and dyes.

But we all have to make choices and decide where to draw the line.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 13:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
I was disappointed to see Dr. Bernstein recommend sugar free jello in his book for diabetics.

At present, I'm more concerned about what I consider to be more serious issues like being obese and having a A1C over 10. Once I reach my goals regarding blood sugar and weight, I might start worrying about stuff like food coloring
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 13:18

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think sugar free jello is a great treat and I've had it from time to time. I like to ones in the cups because they're handy. One thing I noticed is that the cups on the shelve are pretty much 0 carb and the ones in the refrigerator section have a couple of carbs for some reason.

About anything that says lite, that usually means lite on fat which means added sugar to compensate. Make your own whipped cream. Just take whole heavy cream and blend with a stick blender.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 14:01
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I recently started making my own sugar free jello. I had some left over tubes of drink mix and I use those for flavoring. I think it's cheaper, especially when you eat a lot of it. I just add HWC.

You'll find lots of people here who knock the use of artificial sweeteners, but I've been using them since 1972 and I'm in excellent health. Better than most at 72 with NO bad blood numbers, no substitute joints or limbs and no chronic illnesses.

Just sayin'.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 15:34

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I like the sugar free jello, too, but being cheap I buy the store brand. Tastes the same as far as I can tell.

If you're trying out the different flavors, don't buy too many at once. I found out I like the strawberry & lime, hate the raspberry. Fortunately, my husband likes it - I've only 4 boxes left on the shelf.

Fake strawberry flavor has really improved over the years - I used to hate it. I get the DaVinci SF strawberry syrup & add it to cooked rhubarb. Yummy! I'm also fond of the old-fashioned Vegetable Salad with lime jello, carrot, celery, onion, & vinegar.

SF jello, gum, & syrups are my occasional treats. I figure if having it once a month or so keeps me from going off the rails on carbs, I'm doing good.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 19:31
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I make SF jello from time to time. I've used the store brands with aspartame. I've also used plain (knots) jello favored and sweetened with STUR - (natural sweetener stevia). I like to dice it and add whipped cream. Sometimes I dissolve the jello in just enough hot water to get the job done, then pour it into my ninja blender with ice and a few tbsp. of HWC. It makes a frozen desert that tastes sort of like orange sherbet.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-07-17, 04:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The boxes have maltodextrin, a starch made of corn, while the refridgerated cups do not, though they have sweeteners that bother some people. The cups were suggested for that reason, but since I avoid the sweeteners it was a moot point.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-07-17, 07:58

BF:

We tried another last nite

This time I dissolved the jello well in 1 cup of hot water then added about 3/4 cup of crushed ice. After it melted and the jello slightly thickened I poured it in a mixing bowl with 4oz of cream cheese and mixed it all up with a stiff whisk. I poured it into serving dishes and chilled. It was great
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-17, 17:20

Plan: lo-carb, atkins
Stats: 202/195/130 Female 5ft. 1 1/2inch.
BF:
Progress: 10%

When DH and I first started lc we wanted some jello. Only problem was DH gets stomach cramps from all artificial sweeteners except splenda. I came up with my own sugar free jello. We loved it. 1 Pac unsweetened coolaide, & 1/3c. of Splenda dissolved in 1 1/2 c.cold water, add 2-3 pkg unflavored gelatin dissolved in1/2 cup warm water. Put in fridge till set. All kinds of flavors available!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-17, 19:59

BF:

Chocolate.... YUM! I'll have to try it!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-17, 09:57

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

What a sweet post awwww

I remember when I used to get a sheet of aluminium foil and concertina it (like if you were making a fan)

Using SF Jelly (Jello) I would add only about 1-2 Tablespoons hot water to it and then pour it along the valleys in the foil. Thus making low carb Snakes once it has set. It sets firm
hehe the things low carbers do lol
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-17, 11:02

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
Chocolate.... YUM! I'll have to try it!

If you like chocolate don't forget recipes like these

https://lowcarbyum.com/low-carb-cho...-mousse-recipe/

I like to grate 84% chocolate on top and sometime use a little orange extract in the mixture with a little grated orange peel -- if the Pope is coming for dinner.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-17, 13:32

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
I like to grate 84% chocolate on top and sometime use a little orange extract in the mixture with a little grated orange peel -- if the Pope is coming for dinner.

It sounds wonderful!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 186/161/160 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: 96%

Put 3 cups heavy whipping cream in an electric mixer bowl and sprinkle a box of sugar free Jello over the cream and whip until it makes stiff peaks. The jello will keep it from "deflating" for several days in the fridge. Makes a LOT of "fluff" as my husband calls it.