Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 02:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%
Default ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY of this WOE...Thoughts and Observations

Monday is my one year anniversary Of this WOE. I want to thank all of you who participate in this site; it has been a tremendous help throughout this year. Following are some random thoughts and observations about the past year; I hope it is helpful. To those of you anonymous participants who have taught and/or inspired me throughout this year, thanks; hopefully my story will do the same for others. (I will try to not to make this too long or too dramatic).

I am a 40 year old (just barely) male who started Atkins at one of the lowest points in my life; I will not bore you with all of the details, but I had balooned to my highest weight ever, 290 lbs., and I was sedentary, depressed, and for the first time in my life, feeling extremely unhealthy. Like many of you, I have struggled with my weight throughout my life, but even when I was heavy, I was healthy and a good athlete; but the past few years were worse: it was not just an aesthetic issue, but it became a health (physical and mental) issue.

On August 18th of 2002, I set a loose goal of reaching 200 lbs. by July 31st, 2003, my 40th birthday. I achieved my goal exactly to the day. As of today, I weigh 197 lbs., 93 lbs. less than one year ago. (I am very content with how I look and feel, but I have reset my goal to about 180 lbs.). To be honest with you; I was not fixated on a specific weight or date - I just knew that I had take the first step and then continue in the right direction. This would be a long road, and, although it is a cliche, I just started to take one day at a time.

I have been eating around induction level carbs (15-30 g) for most of the past year. I have not "cheated" (I do not really like that term) once. There have been times when I have struggled for 2 or 3 days at a time, overindulging in "permitted" "treat" foods such as nuts or peanut butter or Atkins Brownies, hitting around 50 carb grams for a day or two. Frankly, I do not have a burning desire to eat bread or rice or pasta. Are there times when I would like to eat these things? Of course; but my commitment to what I am doing is currently stronger than any urges I have had to indulge.

I started exercising after a few months of LCing; first moderate cardio like walking, then hiking and cardio such as a stationary bike. In the past four months, I have stepped it up to working out about 5-6 days per week; playing beach volleyball(2 hours), rollerblading (15 miles), hiking (3-6 miles), and general cardio (1-1.5 hours). One year ago, a couple of flights of stairs were rough; now I race up stairs 2 at a time. I believe EXERCISE IS absolutely KEY to long-term success; and I fully believe it helps keep you in ketosis. Please note also that taking potassium and magnesium have completely stopped muscle cramps and spasms I was having when I started to push myself (also, your body adjusts). I do feel that intense exercise is sometimes tough with this WOE, but usually, it is OK.

Regarding STALLS, the weight loss has definitely slowed; and there have been periods when I felt like I was stalled, but in reality, the scale was just moving very slowly. I have gone for two weeks w/out a loss, but I have never lost less than 4 lbs. in one month. It is so frustrating, though, to do everything right, and not see the scale move! I have learned to relax, to accept that this is a way of life, and to be patient (usually). My body continues to shrink, whether the scale is keeping up or not. Over time THIS WOE WORKS! (But I do believe the body adjusts to the low carb thing, and calories become more important as one gets closer to goal).

I do not "count" carbs precisely; I know what to eat and what not to eat, and I do not sweat it. I eat as much of my "permitted" foods as I want. I do, however, keep a fitday diary every day, and I find it very helpful. I rarely exceed 20-25 carb grams daily. I usually eat between 1700 and 2100 cal. per day. (My ecc is probably about 35 g. or 40 g.).

I do not drink a lot, but if I want to, I do. Vodka/soda, martini, white wine or champagne...(BTW, with LCing, it definitely does not take a lot to get hammered; be careful).

As for NEGATIVE behavior.... I like water, but at times do not drink enough...I often eat only 2 meals a day (very bad!)...I go through phases of eating too much Carbolite ice cream, which possibly slows things down a bit...I probably eat too much protein, but remember that I am very active...I should probably up my carbs a little, especially given my level of activity.

HEALTH-wise....No more reflux, no more night sweats or shortness of breath, cholesterol down, bloodwork normal, sleeping better...

OTHER-wise...Even though I am a guy, I like clothes. Going to (for you LA people) Fred Segal, Barneys, wherever, and buying those 36 jeans (that are loose in the waist...another 2 or 3 months, and I'll be a 34), and the 42 suit feels amazing...Seeing the reaction of people who haven't seen me in 6 months or a year is priceless (and feels great)....just FEELING "NORMAL" again....feeling attractive again.

So in one year, my life has changed completely...

Thank you all again for being a part of this site. Special thanks to Natruschka and Karen Barnaby whose scientific knowledge and general wisdom have been so valuable to me. I welcome your comments and questions. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 03:51

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%

WTG, Fishfish! I just love to read success stories like yours. You should post a webpage to 'show off' your before and afters! I am working on one at freewebs http://www.freewebs.com/jers52/
Hopefully come January I'll have dramatic photos for my one year Atkinsversary!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 04:03
Registered Member

Plan: Various
Stats: 196/172/154 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 57%

Congratulations on changing your life. I admire your dedication. I bet all that fat loss and muscle gain has made an incredible difference. I am now a regular exerciser too, and I love getting stronger and fitter.

Gez

Last edited by suleika : Mon, Aug-18-03 at 04:04.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 04:23

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

I read your post with great interest and respect. It is very hard to pull yourself out of the kind of physical and mental pit you describe. There is often a point where we say 'ENOUGH!' but even so the first step of the long journey is hard. Once things start to improve, it does get easier, in my experience.

I wonder what gave you the initial strengh and clarity.

You deserve every success.

Your post also reminded me that exercise is not optional, neither for weight loss nor health. Thanks.

Best Wishes
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 07:58

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Wow! I am really impressed with your weight loss and your other goals that you have met. Congratulations!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 08:17
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Hey there fish! I am also getting ready to celebrate one year on this woe September 20. Congratulations on not only the weight loss, but with sticking with it and changing your life. It takes commitment.

I totally agree with much of what you said. Especially the stall part. I know we are all looking for quick results, but slow and steady is how we keep it off for good.

Here is to another year!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 08:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow! Thank you for such a wonderful compliment fishfish! I am very touched and honored by it.

You did all the work, so big kudos go to you. It is a miracle how your life changes, isn't it?

Onward to maintenance now, which I'm sure you'll accomplish with no trouble at all! You are a shining example of success.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 08:35
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Thank you for this great post, I'm sure it will inspire many!

Your success comes from determination, hard work and desire to be healthy and feel good about yourself, nothing can beat that.

Just wanted to tell you I relate to so many things you've mentioned. We are all different but we share this wonderful feeling of getting our lives back.

All the best to you!

Alina
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 10:42

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well thanks so much for taking the time to share that with all of us.

You've come a long way in a short time really! Just imagine what all that exercise is doing for you, it's set you for a long healthy active life

Cheers Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:11

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Talking Well--

My heartiest and most heartfelt congrats to you!!! I'm so impressed with your persistence. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to have your life again and be able to enjoy it?! Keep it up, we're all behind you!!!

#11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:24

Stats: 200/???/120 Female 5' 3
BF:way/too/much!!
Progress: 0%

CONGRATULATONS!!!!!

You have achieved what many of us desire. You are an inspiration to us all!!!!

Good luck!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:40
Determined2bSlim

Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5'8"
BF:35.1/no idea/20
Progress: 53%

Congrats! You are truly an inspiration!

I can't wait to post my one year anniversery next July..

Last edited by TamiOrr : Mon, Aug-18-03 at 11:42. Reason: edited because I can't spell
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 12:02

Plan: Atkins/M&E/HCG
Stats: 233/186/160 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 64%
Thumbs up

You can't imagine how much that post means. To me and I'm sure to many others. Ok maybe you can imagine since you have been there.

I just want to thank you for being willing to share your thoughts and feeling. I really needed to hear a sucess story. Especially with the nudge to get in gear and add exercise to it.

I'm so happy for you. Keep it up

Thank you so much.
Deana
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 11:32

Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%

Thank you everyone for the support.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 12:44

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

WOW fishfish!!! I pray that I can have even half of the will power that you have demostrated this pass year!!!