Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-21, 09:14

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Howdy everybody!

Quick check in from Virginia. We had an excellent time yesterday and stayed at the park from noon until 9:45 PM. The temperature was around 70° and cloudy. It was pretty perfect. It did get misty and in the last hour we were there it rained so we did get back to the hotel wet. The only thing that went awry was that the second roller coaster was not at all what we expected. It was extremely cool but it went into the dark and stayed there and set my vertigo off. For about an hour I really thought I was going to go down in flames, nausea and my brain just freaking out. Fortunately I laid low and it passed and I just didn’t do any rides after that but enjoyed the shows and train trips through the Christmas lights and so forth. The lights were utterly stunning and I will share some pictures tomorrow. Today when the others are doing coasters I’ll walk around and hang out. There’s plenty there for me to enjoy and do!

Got about 19,000 steps yesterday which is pretty cool considering we were in the car for three hours. Will leave early this evening and drive back home. We will be doing games and crazy dinner and such for New Year’s Eve but I’m hoping for some downtime overnight and in the first half of the day at least.

Lori, I’m glad your sister arrived safely and I know that you two will be having an amazing time together!

Trach sounds like things are fine at your home and with your mom and family. So you’re going to have her mail routed to you or what? What do you think your timeframe is for starting to move her over into the new place?

Jazz I’m looking forward to hearing more about your new digs and your new town!
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-21, 11:59

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

hey Nicco----

Trach sounds like things are fine at your home---

DO YOU mean me? Trig
HA HA too darn funny, who is Trach and I am dying of curiousity on that one

WOW on the vertigo and darn glad you got over that very fast cause from what ya said, it sounded like you were going down for the count, like for a full day or so! WOW some sky god sent you a reprieve for sure and I am glad ya got away good.

I love light shows etc. Brookgreen Gardens at the beach. OMG their venue themed grottos on lights thru the walk were so stunning you are just in awe, I bet yours were super great also. I love me fine lights for sure

I got 1 fab light that I I will never forget. James County State Park in SC in Charleston near the beach....they had a running horse in timed unison jumping a fence.....omg I could watch that thing for ages. I still think of it to this day.......

wait, me chatting too much on fancy lights HA

Safe travels home.

--------------me home too
got mom showered, house good, house needs to be sold, I can just see it rotting away ya know fast and being 30 yrs with no reno, yea it has to go faster than later.

for mom I am going next week to put in her bed, couch, tv and other crap.....then for next shower (since I got big deep tubs she can't handle in my home) I am taking her to use her retirement room home bathroom and that old folks shower, omg it is so fab it will be a cinch. Plus gets her used to the joint.

OK me chatting too much now

So just to tell ya'll MIL did another 911 for ambulance a few days ago....again. same issues, ER sent her home with nausea meds and said call your primary doctors and she has some appts set up but at this point, in full honesty, who the hell knows what is going on. Cascade failure happening in some form? could easily be...........so that is more stuff we are dealing. I told ya'll I just don't even mention the 911 ER visits much cause now they are just happening and are very common??? I don't know, hubby is getting beside himself ya know but even he said, WTH? and I said I don't know? ugh

off to get laundry going and more
  #168   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-21, 16:47

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quickie-
I can't believe I didn't POST this morning!!!!!!!!!

I sat there with coffee..... read everyones posts, and started one. Then got distracted with a dog walk, phone interview- (not thanks on that one) then head to beach for the day!

They are getting storms up north but not here.

I am now tired! really tired................ personals in am- I will POST!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAH- nite ladies!!!!
  #169   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-21, 06:56

BF:

OK- I'm HERE I'm HERE!!!!

urghhhhhhhh woke up with a nasty headache, but coffee is taking care of it! I went to a wine bar last night and basically met the "town". The only cop, judge, real estate, and retired senator and their respective wives were all present! That is how tiny this place is!
I had a great time though!!!!!!! Most of the people are living in this neighborhood. They are two streets up and have water views.

LORI
How is your visit with sis going? She is staying tonight right?

NIC- - very cool on your Williamsburg trip! Are you back home yet?

TRIG- - Love the idea of your mom- getting used to going to the facility to get her showers! then maybe she can stay for a meal and meet some other ladies there!

Urghhhhhhh on MIL- I am hopeful she can go to KY sooner than later. It seems things are going south for her fast!
------------------------------------------------------------------
Had an interview yesterday via phone. I declined the position. This lady was super nice but I feel they sorta fudged the job description. I applied for a Case manager position.

So when she was describing the actual job she said I would have to go to peoples homes and do wound care, IV starts, and bathing. NOPE and NOPE. PLUS be on call 24/7 and if someone dies go "pronounce" them- NOPE And NOPE!

I guess in the state go GA if someone is in Hospice a BSN can "pronounce" somebody and sign that death cert. NO THANK YOU. And the paper work for that. The gal ask- "Do you want to know what we pay?"- NOPE and NOPE. So the hunt continues.........

I did start my side gig- but that is just that- a side gig. It won't keep the lights on at this point. MAYBE someday it will, but not yet. I am also 1/2 done on this book I am going to toss on Amazon.

I am in the BOUNCE HOUSE weight wise right now! I was hoping to get deep on the OTHER SIDE but I am playing with that line. IT WILL HAPPEN.

Anyone have plans tonight? I was invited to a NEWS EVE PARTY - but not sure if I am going. It will be partly outside. I am thinking maybe not so much. Those types of parties I don't do single unless there are other singles. But I got the impression- it's a couples gig.

Ok here's my "make up" post! -
  #170   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-21, 07:02

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Happy New Year's Eve! We're up and ready to rip here. DH is going to work a bit this morning and then we're going to go out for a late lunch at a Brew Pub we've been wanting to go to. Sis and I have been looking at their menu online and already know what we're going to get. We love to share appetizer type foods. We'll go about 1:30, then we'll be home to watch football and later I'll cook some shrimp for shrimp cocktail and we'll just snack on stuff here. DSis and I have to run to the grocery store this morning before they get busy and buy the frozen, raw shrimp and a few other things.

Last evening we went to our friend's house and had a nice time. It was just the 4 of us and we ate a bit and then just sipped wine & talked. We got home around 9 last night. DSis says she slept well from the wine.

----------------

Nic.....Glad you had a good time and so thankful that you avoided a bad bout of vertigo! Yikes! Our friend was telling us last night that he had a few days of that last fall. He said he was so dizzy and he went into his bedroom and thought he was near the bed and kind of dove to fall into bed and he missed and hit the floor! Landed on his chin. Thank goodness he didn't get badly hurt.

Jaz.....I was wondering where you were yesterday!

Trig.......I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling Mom's lake house. I understand wanting to get it done once you know it has to be sold. We are the same with Betty's house. We're still waiting to see what the Dr. is going to offer. We're hoping it's a fair price and that we can get the paperwork done soon so we can have some relief knowing that Betty will have the cash to pay for ongoing care for herself. We know the time is coming when more care will be needed.

---------

Ok....DSis and I are heading to the grocery store to get that over with. We need frozen shrimp and some produce. We'll be in and out in a flash.

Have a safe & happy New Year's eve!
  #171   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-21, 08:55

BF:

Now I WANT SHRIMP!!!!!!!!!!!!- Hummmmmmmmm Might have to make a quick trip myself!

Lori- Your plans sounds great! YUM and YUM- and then 1st- back on the LC train!

TRIG/NIC- You have any words for 2022????
  #172   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-21, 10:48

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Trig- LOLOLOL on being called Trach! (which just autocorrected to trash so it could have been worse..!) I was dictating into my phone. Didn't take a computer or iPad on that trip bc I figured we would be too busy and we sure were!

That horse light show in SC sounds super cool. Lights can be mesmerizing!

I like your plans to slowly transition your Mom over. That will be good for both of you, frankly.

Your MIL reminds me of my Mom in so many ways. My Mom will literally wait until it is night time and then insist she needs to go to the ER for things that could easily have been handled during the day. And constant this or that medically, in part due to lack of self care. Drives me nuts. Your MIL seems to be in a particularly bad spiral right now though.

Jaz- That is a super small town to be sure. Crazy small. Nice for a bit though, I guess!

What is your time line for needing to get locked into some kind of paid job? How far can you go on your savings?

Lori- You are sounding really good. I can hear how much you are enjoying your time with Connie and it sounds like a good combo of fun things going on with some nice down time as well. Excellent!

••••••••••••

Pretty worn out although I've been sitting here for a couple of hours so I'm feeing more like getting up and doing something now. Coffee has been had!

I've been doing several loads of laundry. Chris's cat peed on his bed so I have had to wash the comforter, and the quilt, and the sheets. He has otherwise been really, really good though. Hopefully no more accidents!

Tonight we are doing some minor celebrating but we are all pretty worn out and peopled out too. We will do Crazy Dinner (focus on protein this time around, though, after two days of theme park food!) and play several rounds of LCR and few other games, and then call it a night.

My word for this year? I am thinking SETTLE. I need to settle down into new patterns, new routines between the two houses, a way of eating that fits me and I can live with. I've been sort of all over the place with some periods of success and also periods of undoing that success. I just need to SETTLE.

We had a good day on the second day but we were all pretty worn out. It was colder and damp. We headed back around 6 pm or so and got back around 9:30 PM. Full and busy couple of days but good.

Tired though. OMG!
  #173   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-21, 22:22

BF:

Happy New Year to Lori and Sis, Nicco and Jazz!

Ahh Nicco I feel ya on that ER timing Your mom and my MIL have that in common. And ya know while it takes an act of congress to get me to a Dr., I also know IF I feel weirdo I get my butt in first thing instead of waiting til wee hrs of the damn night or a sunday HAHA

So I was thinking around 440K for the lakehouse but my bro Rich looked up cost on Zillow and it puts it at around $506K. Sounds good to me We are gonna talk in a month or so about getting over there and taking out contents of home, selling this and that and making it ready for sale. Thankfully my mom is not a hoarder type LOL so it shouldn't be hard but it is a full big house contents but it will be ok....just has to be done sooner than later tho. No use the house sitting empty. Should sell very fast actually.

Nothing doing here tonight. hearing some fireworks in the distance. quiet, no party, hell I forgot it was new years eve. Rich called and we chatted house etc and then he says happy new year and I am like 'what?', means nothing to me.

Word for new year.....honestly I ain't got one. Nothing coming to mind so I will think.

over and out and see ya'll in 2022
  #174   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-22, 04:14

BF:

Good Morning & Happy 2022!

I didn't ring in the new year, I think I was in bed by about 10:30. We went out for lunch yesterday and DSis and I shared a bunch of different appetizers and I was so "ill" last night. Ugh......Just bloated and really icky feeling. Feel ok this morning and I'll be having some yogurt to balance my gut. I didn't eat anything after that lunch yesterday. I made some steamed shrimp for DH, but Sis and I didn't eat anything last night. I'll be making pork & sauerkraut for dinner tonight and won't eat much until then. I'm more than ready to get back on my LC eating plan.

The Dr. who is interested in buying Betty's house called us yesterday. He made an offer and laid out all the figures of the $$ he'll have to invest to bring it to code etc.(he's right). It is lower than we had hoped, but when we think about it, we can't expect him to pay Betty top dollar and then turn around and have to invest 1M+ to renovate. It will need new electrical & plumbing systems and foundation work, heating & a/c, on and on, plus the cosmetic stuff. We'll consult with our lawyer and talk it over with Betty, but just to have Betty out from under the expenses of the place will be such a relief. We had hoped to have more money to ensure her future care, but it is what it is. Just the fact that she will be able to continue to live there as long as possible while paying a nominal rent is worth a lot. It all had our heads spinning yesterday.

-----------

I hope you all have a great start to 2022. Now that the holidays are over, I'm ready for Spring. It sure has been a mild winter so far. I hope it stays this way! It is 50 degrees this morning......on January 1st!!?? I'm ready to play golf!

Biggest hugs to you all!

Last edited by Lori_:) : Sat, Jan-01-22 at 04:21.
  #175   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-22, 06:54

BF:

Lori, I know you know this but put that address into Zillow and get the idea of what that place should be selling for in comparison to its area.

Low ball, yes I get that, but just cause someone wants to put money into a home sometimes doesn't mean a low ball offer is what the place is worth.....again I know you know this LOL....but the home could be worth more on the open market easily but if buyers play that, I have to spend X amt of dollars for improvement, doesn't mean your offer has to come down ya know....well I know you know. Just make sure you are getting the true fair retail price of that home, no matter what the buyers are doing to it. I never liked low ball offers and someone saying, well I have to spend XYZ, well then spend it, but I am getting a fair price for selling it, I don't care what you think you need to put in it

OK, I know you know all that LOL

Just that we are dealing to and for my moms house anything lower than what zillow says it is worth won't be happening, cause we are selling the lakefront lot mostly, anyone wants that, whcih is real nice, is gonna pay for it, I don't care how much they wanna update this or that in the home. What they do after purchase is their own issue, not mine when selling it at fair value.

OK so much for real estate stuff. We are talking this with that 11/15? acres that the development company wants right now. MIL wants 3 mil which they are starting now to sell and contracts to lawyers but the developer is saying 3 might be too high cause they have to do roads into their, all their construction and improvement to the land and my MIL said tough. Price is 3 mil, take or leave it. I don't care what you spend once you pay me that price....after that, do whatever you want Looks like tho it is a deal happening right now. Ahhhh, progress right. Own the damn land in a dead little no nothing town and when progress comes 60 yrs later your little bit of land is worth millions. Capitolism at its best HA

OMG tho too much crap to think about for me right now LOL

Anywho.....clean carnivore. Focus on big beef. Clean up nibbles. Deal wtih the last 20 lbs I want gone. All good, with the jumble happening around me now I need an easy focus of my carnivore.

My word for 2022 is Carnivore. All in baby.

do nothing day. all good here
  #176   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-22, 07:46

BF:

2022!!!!!!!!!! SO OVER the last two years from March 2020! So ready for real life back!
SO READY!

Lori- I TOTALLY agree with TRIG. Just because he offer a low ball does not mean you can't COUNTER OFFER. It's just a starting point. I would politely point out while it does need updating- it will go fast and you do NOT HAVE to do any of that. You can write AS IS and STILL get top dollar! Trust me- counter offer!
It is a sellers market. The dear doctor is not the only buyer out there. These properties are getting gobbled up at warp speed. You have options!

Sorry you felt like crap. I SO GET IT! I think the longer you eat clean, then eat garbage your body doesn't know how to take it! Fried foods and high carbs/ dairy nail me every time.

Hopefully you can water up and reset today!

NIC-
So glad you had a great time! - Yup love your word! Settle
I think this year you will get settled!

Hoping to take today and DO NOTHING!!!! I sure get peopled out too!
How long are the "boys" staying? I would be doing light dinners and not a long time in the kitchen.

Trig-- OMG on your MIL property! Good for her! I hope she gets it!
Yup- my daughter bought a tiny piece of land. It was the last one in a neighborhood. They had planned to build on it but found another house.
They ended up selling for twice what they paid for it in 6 months! I tell ya real-estate is a great investment!

I knew you were going to say Carnivore!
Rock on- you will get your last 20 off! I have 40 to get off !!!! LETS DO THIS!
--------------------------------------------------------------
WELCOME 2022!!!!!!!!!!
I carry a small day planner and have for the last 25 years. I have kept them all. They are just small calendars you can put in your purse. I have been tracking my weight and events for years! It is interesting to pull those out sometimes and remember what I was doing say 2 years ago.

Two years ago I was in Delaware!!!!! Last year I was in Athens! this year I am 25 pounds lighter near the beach. I am getting used to this cozy cottage actually. Meeting the neighbors and making it work like I need it too.

I took the plastic off the bed and sleeping so much better. I can't sleep on plastic. I get it. I know they have to protect the mattress but I can't tolerate it!

I am optimistic about 2022. I think we are all going to learn to live with all this virus stuff and life goes on. It just needs to.
I am looking to "settle" as well (at least for a minute) ! LOLOLOL

So I could live a year before I start to panic about my situation but I don't want to. I still need retirement nest! So ya- glad I have it, but am not real happy to use it! My goal is to have something to keep the lights on in 8 weeks- or at least in process with an offer.

My 30 day challenge: No processed anything. Nothing in a box, frozen, pre-made, take out. Everything needs to come from MY KITCHEN and from fresh, and organic/ grass fed.
I will reasses in 30 days.

It goes without saying it will be Keto- basically fish and light veggies. That is my sweet spot.

I am going to make this year the year to hit my goal. I am DONE bouncing this mound of fat around. I want it gone. I want my body back. My healthiest self! It is very doable that this time next year I am sitting 40 pounds even lighter!

Last day in the 80's for a minute. A cool from will sweep through tomorrow afternoon and drop the temps to upper 50's. It is supposed to be a strong storm. Today though the sun is popping out and 82/83. So I will for sure get my walk in with pooch.

Not much happening here today. I have alot of applications hanging out there I am waiting on a response.

Have a great FIRST DAY OF 2022!!!!!!!!!!!
  #177   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-22, 11:52

BF:

Hi again!

Just popping in to report that I did my workout this morning. I think when we were talking about January challenges, I said I would do a workout every day.....so there you go. 1 out of 31 done!

Thanks for your input and suggestions on the selling of Betty's house. While I understand that it is a seller's market, this is not your typical family home that a lot of people would be interested in buying. It would be a monumental undertaking to even think of owning such a place. We will discuss with Betty and our lawyers and decide what we will do. The last thing DH and I want is to inherit this behemoth and then have to come up with $$$$$ in inheritance taxes and we may end up having to really sell it for a lot less than our current offer just to get out from under it. The other scenario could be that Betty is in a nursing home and we need $$$ for her care and we have to sell it quickly. There are SO many considerations.

Hope your year is getting off to a great start!
  #178   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-22, 16:12

BF:

Jazz your new little cottage sounds so nice.

It is good you got your weight goals and your keto menu planned. You stick to that and you will get great results.

We got the same creepy weather. Days of it being hotter which was nice, now we got weirdo dark gray 'Auntie Em' skies and rain around.....they say some are gonna get nailed with hail and other crazy stuff. Hope it doesn't go to bad for anyone starting this new year. Those darn tornados are nasty!

Lori-----yea I do get that. You got that white whale that might not be one everyone wants True.....plus you guys sound like you do just want out from under it hanging over your head, omgosh I get ya on that also LOL

my nightmare in MIL home later. Having to deal with a hoarder house is gonna be one of the hardest I will have to tackle when we go full in on that home..ugh.

Nicco, settle is a good word. Just keep life settled in general on a good even keel and settle into new routines and more. I think that is smart to get very balanced in one's life, it truly helps our mental game too!

--------------ate a NY Strip steak. ate 3/4 lb 90/10 burger patty. done. if get hungry I got a tin of sardines for later maybe. I am full off that big azz burger tho!

all good, just doing.
  #179   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-22, 04:01

BF:

me first,

went to bed at 9:30 which is unheard of but my sinus headache drove me nuts and so tired. Got 7 hrs....wow....up at 4:30am but I feel great except for head still a little wonky. more sinus drugs LOL

Raining big cats and dogs out there. Whole day is bad weather day. Wind whipping full speed out there too. House shaking kinda with rain just pounding. Gonna be a long boring Sunday for sure.

Ny Strip and chicken for day. easy peasy

nothing else, all just chillin' around here today, watching the monster rain drops I guess.
  #180   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-22, 07:51

BF:

Good Morning!
Day 2 of Challenge and 2022! LOLOLOL

Lori- I get ya on just wanting something like the sale of a house over. Yup ya got to consider the PIA factor as well. If you think it would be a relief for you and Betty even though not as much $$$ Take it! The money will work itself out in the end anyway!

Is sis still there? I wasn't sure! Did you enjoy your pork?

Trig- We DO have those monster storms coming today! Mine are to arrive late in the afternoon after 3ish they are predicting!
Yup it is the freaky storms that do damage and lose power with.
Hoping nothing like that happens here. I did bring water and flashlights with me though! All good!

Sounds like you got your eating in fine 2022 form now that all the holidays are over!

Urghhhhhhh on cleaning out a hoarder house- I will have a loaded basement to deal with when my mom needs help. I am not looking forward to that. Hopefully I have a few years.

Ya know we are the next generation after our parents go. I tell you I am not going to have alot for my kids to do. I live loosely- meaning I don't have alot. I got rid of a ton at the divorce and then every move after that more to the dump.
It is amazing just how little one needs to live well.

Nic- Are you rested up? The "boys" still there? HEHEHE
Whats on the agenda for this week?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Believe it or not it is still hot and muggy here until those master storms roll in and drop temps to 50's. I actually am ready for it. SO SO SO humid here.

It only has 2 seasons here- Hot and HOTTER! I just don't think I could LIVE full time in this climate.
I have loved my escapes here. I think it makes it special. I think It would love some of the magic to be here full time. I love the snow bird idea!

Anyway- I had another interview believe it or not yesterday. They must seriously be desperate to call on a holiday and Saturday to boot! But What they wanted was a bedside home healthcare nurse. No thank you. I told the lady I was responding to a CASE MANAGER position. She said she had to put that up to get anyone to apply. OMG..........deceptive.

Our healthcare system is in serious shape. Nurse and doctors are bailing at warp speed. We are tired, overworked, and big companies treat ya like crap. It's bad. They work you until you drop and boom you are expendable. They are learning fast we are done collectively as nurses. Now they are begging for help.

Oh well- enough of that. I am going to try to get in a beach walk before the OZ rains come in.

I love I am able to get in my daily walks. I need to start doing a bit of light weights/ stretching. My knee MIGHT tolerate some stretches, it is achy today. Weather change!

I bounced up yet another pound....WTH?!?!?!?!? Not going to freak, just yet. But I am on it let me tell you.

This week: More job hunt, writing would love to FINISH this project, daily walks, stop and smell the salt water! No roses here.

I collect a shell every time I take a beach walk. I gave a huge basket of shells to my mom last visit. Now I am collecting another batch.

I want to make some taco meat (using ground turkey), and get some chicken wings for later this week. That will make for a few easy peasy dinners. All good from beach central!

Have a good one ladies!!!!!!!