Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > My P.L.A.N. Tool Support Forum
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 07:59

Plan: south beach
Stats: 161/150/135 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Saving portion size?

Hi all,
when entering the portion size for a custom food, the nutrients are then automatically converted to 100 grams in the Food List.
Is there a way to have the value for the custom portion in the database?
Example, to clarify: I usually buy ham in small 80 grams packages, and that's what I normally I eat, so that's my reference unit, I'm not interested in having the nutrients for 100 grams.
TY
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 08:12

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Next to the 100 gram size box it says custom size. Go there and enter your amt. I do it all the time.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 09:56

BF:

As I said, that's what I did, but then when I look at the food list, the values are converted to 100 grams...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 10:27

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Did you use the drop down list for amts.?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 11:09
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

On the New Custom Food entry page, click on the words Custom Size, which you'll see just to the right of where you enter the serving size. That will allow you to work with amounts other than 100 grams.

To correct any Custom Food entries you have already made, click on your Custom Food, then click the box marked "Customize." You'll see that box if you look straight below the bolded word "Serving" on a Custom Food entry you previously made. When you have corrected your entry, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click "Replace Custom Food." If you prefer, of course, you can click the other box, "Add as new Custom Item." That will add your corrected entry as a second listing of the Custom Food. The food will be shown twice on your list.

HTH!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 18:11

BF:

Again... I've done all that. But when I open the Food List, the nutritional values are for 100 grams. If I try to correct the entry and click on Customize, the correct values and weight reappear.
Saving it again with "Replace Custom Food" or "Add as new Custom Item" doesn't make any difference, info is calculated on 100 grams all over again when opening the Food List.
I'm wondering is it a bug, or maybe it's just the way it is and I'm trying to do something that cannot be done.
I'm trying to upload screenshots to see if that helps understand what I mean.

Edit: I'm afraid it's just the way it is. I checked in Settings, and there's no tweaking the "Food listing portion Options" the way I'd like to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Custom.jpg (28.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg List.jpg (14.4 KB, 4 views)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 20:01
Never Give Up!

BF:

I don't think it's a bug. Some of my custom foods, sausages for instance, are displayed with a serving size of "1 link." I have other custom foods that are displayed with serving sizes measured in ounces, cups, etc. And I have some that are displayed in metric measurements of fewer than 100 grams.

Have you checked your settings (click "Edit Settings" on the menu on the left of the page when you're in My P.L.A.N.)? You might have it set to display in 100 gram increments. I have mine set for ounces.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 22:33
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

When you go to enter in your 'custom food' in a day's food entries, you need to select from the drop-down list - click on 'serving' or whatever your particular serving size is. My PLAN remembers what your 'serving size' was when you entered in the new custom food item.

As an example - I've created a custom food item for Boulder brand breakfast sausage links, with it's custom size, and for the serving size listed on the packaging. But, when I go to actually enter in that food into my breakfast or lunch or whatever, I still have to select 'serving' from the drop down list, and from there, I still need to enter in the quantities of 'serving' that I ate. Meanwhile, I'm given the option of various weights/portions from the drop down list.

You're right about this - but it's not a bug. It's just that you still need to tell My PLAN that you had a 'serving' and how many of those you had at a particular meal. Or, if you just had a hundred grams or whatever.

Hope I'm not confusing things - just a wee bit tricky to realize that you still need to select from the drop down list when entering in that food for a meal.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 14:22

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I cannot correct a portion size either.

And, i can't figure out how to delete this custom food and start over.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 18:20
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
I cannot correct a portion size either.
For Custom Foods, My P.L.A.N. requires that, for whatever serving size you choose (cup, T, tsp, etc.) you also enter the weight of that amount of the product in grams. I get this number from the package label of whatever I'm entering as a Custom Food.

Quote:
And, i can't figure out how to delete this custom food and start over.
Once you've used a Custom Food as a Daily Entry, you cannot delete it. You can, however, edit it. Bring your Custom Food up on your screen, and click on the "Customize" button that you'll see on the left, right below the "Add to" button. All you have to do then is make whatever changes you like in your entry, then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click the "Replace Custom Food" button.

If you have not used your Custom Food as a Daily Entry, just go to your Custom Foods list (to find that, scroll down and click on Food Lists in the menu on the left of the page. Click the Custom Foods link at the top of that page to get to the list.) Find your Custom Food on your list, click the box immediately to the left of it, go to the right hand side at the bottom of the page and choose Delete from the menu. Then click the word "Go." That should remove it for you.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 19:35

BF:

Wow, thank you for responding so fast and helping me out.
This is the first day I've tried P.L.A.N and I like it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
For Custom Foods, My P.L.A.N. requires that, for whatever serving size you choose (cup, T, tsp, etc.) you also enter the weight of that amount of the product in grams. I get this number from the package label of whatever I'm entering as a Custom Food.
I could not make a serving size that was "each" or "single."

Setting aside that I couldn't figure out how to add a custom serving size,
my product label does not have grams per "each". A nit, I realize.

Quote:
All you have to do then is make whatever changes you like in your entry, then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click the "Replace Custom Food" button.
Here is a screen shot showing that when I click the "Customize" button to edit, there is no option for a custom serving size.

I think there IS an option for custom serving size when it is first created?

Here is a screen shot showing there is no serving size of "each" or "single" on the drop-down when I'm customizing (I tried to add one)

Quote:
Once you've used a Custom Food as a Daily Entry, you cannot delete it.
*Any* daily entry, or just today?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 21:07
Never Give Up!

BF:

You can click in the box right after the "1", hit your spacebar, and type whatever you like, so that it reads 1 oatcake, 1 cake, 1 piece, etc. You can even delete the 1 and replace it with another number, if you consider that to be what you want to call a serving.

On the front of the label, there should be a Net Weight printed somewhere. That's the weight of the food inside the package, minus the weight of the packaging. So, if it says "Net Wt. 200 grams" and there are, say, 4 oatcakes in the package, each one must weigh 50 grams. (If it gives the weight in ounces, about 28 grams are equal to one ounce.) Just delete the 100 in the "grams" box on the Custom Food form and replace it with 50 ... or whatever number is appropriate for what you have set as a serving size.

HTH!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 21:09

BF:

Aha! perfect. Now my inner perfectionist is happy.

Thanks again!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 22:39
Never Give Up!

BF:

It's been awhile since I entered a Custom Food. If the instructions above revert to 100 grams for you, go in and edit your Custom item by clicking the "Customize" button. Then, instead of something like 50 grams, enter a decimal fraction of 100 grams, such as .50 or .33 or whatever is appropriate. I don't remember exactly how the software reads those entries anymore to create a custom serving size.

You may have to correct all the numbers for fat/protein/carbs/calories as well to get them back to what is right for the serving you want to have show on your list. When you're done, scroll down to the bottom and click "Replace Custom Food" ... or whatever it is that box says. You want to use Replace, though.