Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 21:58
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein!!
Stats: -/-/- Female 162 cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 1600%
Question Exercise...

Hey, I was wondering what you do for exercise? I have burned out adrenals and tend to crash even just walking around for any real length of time. I've been trying to start some resistance stuff but I'm not sure how much is enough, but not too little or too much.

What is your experience?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 21:42
Organic Lifestyle

Plan: SBP (Organic & Balanced)
Stats: 165/135/130 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 86%

Elizabeth,
I took it very slow when I was getting back into working out. I had a friend that gave me some very good advice about making sure I use a heart rate monitor to make sure I don't work myself to hard and lose the benifit of healing. I have been using a heart rate monitor ever sense. There is a very good book called "Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idoit" by John L. Parker. It teaches you about the difference between running as hard as you can and running in your heart rate zone. It also gives you a better forumula to determine what your zone is, since the whole take your age and divide by this or that doesn't really tell you much. If you use a heart rate monitor it will keep you from pushing yourself to hard and burning out your system again. It will be very slow at first, but over time you will speed up. I didn't start weight training until I was feeling good with the rate training, since I wanted to heal my heart before building my muscles.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 23:03
Registered Member

Thanks ArticCat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 07:25

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'd love to jump in here and respond, but that might get me out of my target heart rate zone!

Seriously, I don't know if I have burned-out adrenals or not (tests are not back yet), but my NP thinks I do. She recommended only very light weights a couple times a week and cardio (heart rate no higher than 112) a couple times a week. She said she'd love to tell me to stop working out altogether until we see what the tests say, but she also said she realized I wouldn't do that anyway, so better to give me at least something!

After so many years of hating exercise, I get downright cranky when I miss a day!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 17:05
Registered Member

LOL BawdyWench, I know what you mean! I went to the doctor yesterday and he told me to at least go walking, so I did that yesterday afternoon for half an hour (I had been wary of even that before, as when we go grocery shopping I get totally drained and lie down for hours) and I didn't crash!! I am so happy, because I enjow walking SO much. I listen to my favourite music while I walk, it's great.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 17:40

BF:

Walking is a good thing. I understand that you don't want to do, for example, upper-body workouts every day, but walking is something entirely different.

It's funny. I was at the physical therapist's office this morning (neck problems from my workstation) and I could hear someome walking on the treadmill in another room. It's all I could do to stay in my room. All I could think about was how I wanted to be on that treadmill, too!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking

I do alot of exercise, but it's the eating that I really have a big problem. Anyways, when I strated going to the gym, I meet people specially those one with a trainer and ask them questions like how much cardio and weights does your trainer makes you do? I recently read this great book it's by Jillian Michaels from the show the biggest loser. It's called winning by losing" check it out online amazon.com

Good Luck
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 16:26
Registered Member

Thanks SushiChef, I'll take a look at that book

BawdyWench, do you think you might be a little over-fond of exercising?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 18:14

BF:

Me? Never!

#10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 20:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Wishing upon a star

Anytime.... take care talk to you later.

Last edited by sushichef : Thu, Mar-02-06 at 20:43.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 198/183.5/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%

You might want to check out the book 8 Minutes in the Morning by Jorge Cruise. He's the author of the 3 Hour Diet, but even those who don't do the diet rave about his 8 Min book. I have been trying to do it every day lately and it's very do-able!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 04:25
Registered Member

Thanks Momto3boys!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/my own
Stats: 215/220/140 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: -7%

2 days a week I get on the Elyptical (its all my ol knees can take) for 20 mins, then I either lift weights for 20 mins or I go swim 20 mins, the other 2 days a week I swim for 40-50 mins, I have this moderation thing down pat....lol