Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > My P.L.A.N. Tool Support Forum
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-07, 13:05

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Kellogg's All Bran Cereal w/extra fiber

Hi all......it's me again. I am having a problem trying to put my All-Bran cereal into MY PLAN. I get the error message saying the calories don't add up right. The physical box of cereal says 50 calories but with the equations they use to get their calories, it tells me they should be at least 101 calories. I did wind up putting 101 calories in the box but I would rather not have to remember to subtract the 51 extra calories every time I eat this particular food. Here are the stats according to the Nutritional Facts on the box:

Serving size: 1/2 cup (26g/0.9 oz.)
Servings Per Container: About 12 Cereal with
1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Cereal F/F milk

Calories 50 90
Calories from fat 10 10

Total Fat: 1g* 2% 2%
Sat. Fat: 0g 0% 0%
Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol 0 mg. 0% 0%
Sodium: 120 mg. 5% 7%
Potassium: 270 mg. 8% 14%
Total Carbohydrates: 20g 7% 9%
Dietary Fiber: 13g 52% 52%
Sugars: 0g
Other Carbohydrates: 7g
Protein: 3g

It then goes on to list the Vitamin A, C, etc and their %'s but I don't usually put them into MY PLAN because the box only gives % whilst MY PLAN actually looks for numbers.

I will right down the list of ingredients in hopes that maybe there is something hidden in there and someone could help me out:

Ingredients:

Wheat bran, oat fiber, wheat flour, calcium phosphate, salt, baking soda, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, calcium carbonate, aspartame, sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid (Vit. C), niacinamide, reduced iron, annatto color, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vit. B6), riboflavin (Vit. B12), folic acid, zinc oxide, Vit. A palmitate, thiamin hydrochloride (Vit. B1), BHT (preservative), Vit. B12 and Vit. D.

If anybody could help me out here as to where I can get the correct amount of calories, I would appreciate it.

Patty
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-07, 13:09

BF:

Sorry......the facts didn't come out the way I tried to type them. The second # is the number should you use 1/2 cup of fat free milk in it.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-07, 14:21
<---The Crazy One!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

I'm having the exact same problem! but it's with the All Bran Bran Buds.
And it's not subtracting the fiber from the carbs either.

and do we subtract the insoluable fiber and soluable fiber too?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-07, 15:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrcmcc6
Hi all......it's me again. I am having a problem trying to put my All-Bran cereal into MY PLAN. I get the error message saying the calories don't add up right. The physical box of cereal says 50 calories but with the equations they use to get their calories, it tells me they should be at least 101 calories. I did wind up putting 101 calories in the box but I would rather not have to remember to subtract the 51 extra calories every time I eat this particular food. Here are the stats according to the Nutritional Facts on the box:

Serving size: 1/2 cup (26g/0.9 oz.)
Servings Per Container: About 12 Cereal with
1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Cereal F/F milk

Calories 50 90
Calories from fat 10 10

Total Fat: 1g* 2% 2%
Sat. Fat: 0g 0% 0%
Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol 0 mg. 0% 0%
Sodium: 120 mg. 5% 7%
Potassium: 270 mg. 8% 14%
Total Carbohydrates: 20g 7% 9%
Dietary Fiber: 13g 52% 52%
Sugars: 0g
Other Carbohydrates: 7g
Protein: 3g

It then goes on to list the Vitamin A, C, etc and their %'s but I don't usually put them into MY PLAN because the box only gives % whilst MY PLAN actually looks for numbers.

I will right down the list of ingredients in hopes that maybe there is something hidden in there and someone could help me out:

Ingredients:

Wheat bran, oat fiber, wheat flour, calcium phosphate, salt, baking soda, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, calcium carbonate, aspartame, sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid (Vit. C), niacinamide, reduced iron, annatto color, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vit. B6), riboflavin (Vit. B12), folic acid, zinc oxide, Vit. A palmitate, thiamin hydrochloride (Vit. B1), BHT (preservative), Vit. B12 and Vit. D.

If anybody could help me out here as to where I can get the correct amount of calories, I would appreciate it.

Patty

Hi Patty,

I would just ignore the fibre when you put it into MyPLAN. Kellogs is actually correct, because fibre carbs don't really have any calories, as they are not absorbed. But it's a bit of a pest that MyPLAN does seem to count them (fibre cals).
So I would enter it as fat - 1g (9 cals)
carbs - 7g (28 cals)
protein - 3g (12 cals)
That should come to 49 cals, which should satisfy MyPLAN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpeach
and do we subtract the insoluable fiber and soluable fiber too?

Yes, all fibre is either soluble or insoluble, and essentially all the fibre calories are not absorbed, so there is no need to distinguish between them when it comes to subtracting them.

HTH!

Roz
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-07, 17:05

BF:

Thanx Rosebud. I will try that.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-07, 17:18

BF:

Perfect!! That works for me. Thanx, Rosebud!!

Patty