Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 00:32

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Halloween

Halloween is going to be tough for me. I love the candy corns and all the traditional chocolate stuff that I usually buy for the neighborhood kids...and eat.

What are somethings that you're doing for Halloween?

I knew I couldn't handle any candy in the house this year, so I bought some age appropiate toys and little gift thingys for the kids. so far, so good. By now I'd have ripped into the mini candy bars and candy corns.

But, I'm going out for Halloween with some friends later, and I'm really nervous about being around all that candy and sugar. Gulp, my first big test of being around some of my favorite sugary things. Wish me luck.

Happy Halloween! Good luck to all of you, too!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 08:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

I was a bit worried about having the candy at my house too. Usually I buy chocolate bars. This time I bought chocolate moon cakes and rice crispy squares. I'm very impressed with myself as they have been sitting in my hall now for a week (and don't think I don't look at them every day while coming in and out of the house LOL), I haven't touched them at all. Not one rip in the bags...LOL

This is gotta be a first for me...what being the sweet Queen and all

Lucky you to be able to be going out. I must stay at home as I live at the end of a street and one side of me is fields. Guess what I have to always look out for? My house being egged...LOL

When going out, why not take some low carb snacks with you. Pork Rinds, hard boiled eggs, celery etc.

Good Luck
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 09:12

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Halloween

Quote:
Originally posted by Ka3n
What are somethings that you're doing for Halloween?

I'm going to be a curmudgeon I'm going over to my mom and dads for a hot tub with my boyfriend. No candies in this house!!!

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 280//180
BF:
Progress:

I bought 10 bags of candy [lots of kids in the neighborhood!] yesterday and put them in the freezer out in the garage. It's hard, but I've been able to stay away from them. I made a big sweet ricotta pie today, so hopefully, it should take away the sweet cravings, though I like Nat's idea better!

--Kirkwood
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 11:18

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

My d/h bought enough candy to treat the whole city I am sure!! Needless to say...he was not in my good books. However, he had to go out of town, so he hid the candy in the basement. He phoned this morning to tell me where it is. I will have the kids get it, and give it out. [handfuls at a time] I think I will just sit in my bedroom and read until it is gone.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 11:32

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

We don't get kids at our house, but the BIG KID ( my significant other) always insists that we have candy for kids (just in case!!!!). I bought a big bag at Costco, and he has hidden it away. ONe thing about it, I don't have any cravings for the candy, which is good. But then, I don't know what I would be like if it was sitting in front of me all day!
Happy Halloween everyone!!

Glenda
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 12:05
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Laughing

I am so relieved that I'm not the only one going through this on a LC lifeplan! I wish my children were more sensitive. I did have some luck though. My roomate either ate or got rid of all of his and my children gave half their candy to the neighbors (who didn't go out) so maybe I'm being heard
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 12:11

Stats: 217/205/110 Female 58"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Last year I failed miserably at avoiding the chocolate in the dish!

This year I bought things that don't tempt me. Chocolate covered raisins, licorice, and ritz cracker sandwiches. Haven't given them a second glance all week!

Deanna
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 15:26

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Nat, I wish I could do what you're going to do-- bug out. However, my now teenage boys went a-beggin' through this neighborhood a few yrs. ago EVERY yr. and I think I might just get my house and trees papered and my pumpkins smashed all over the place if I did that. LOL.

So, the candy's in the house and I'm doing fine so far. Wish I could say the same for hubby. Haha.

YB
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 15:35

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default salt

if it gets really bad, try putting a bunch of salt on your tongue. then you know the candy won't taste good all salty.
i'm not sure how i'm going to manage. i've got 3 very excited trick or treaters that will have loads of candy to share. i guess my plan is to keep telling myself i don't need that candy. real sugar has not (knowingly) passed my lips in over 3 weeks, and the withdrawals were so bad that i choose not to put myself through that again.
good luck, and think about all the kudos you will get here when you report back to us!!!!
brenda
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 15:39

Stats: 237/237/150
BF:
Progress: 0%

I went home for lunch and made some whipped cream with 1/2 c. heavy cream and 2 packets of equal. Then dipped a double chocolate low carb bar in it. Better than candy!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 18:53

BF:
Default Thanks to everyone

I'm so glad that you all are here, all of your posts has helped a lot. Just knowing that I'm not alone in this is helping me.
Thanks for that, Wendy. I'm boiling a couple of eggs now. I'm bringing pork rinds and cheese sticks (string cheese) to snack on later, too. I really admire you for not giving in all week with them sitting there!
SAme thing for Deanna, YB, & Kirkwood...I admire your resolve. I know that it'll get easier each time that I don't give into it. You are all so encouraging.

Nat-I love the word curmudgeon. I can't imagine you ever being one, though. I think next year I'm going to plan to be out of the house, too. Just in the familar setting is getting to me. I have a strong association between Halloween and chocolate & candy corns that's causing a strong longing for a sugar-fix..

The good news is that it's just going to get easier and easier.
Especially knowing that this is my WOL now.

The X-sugar freak--Katherine
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 18:58

BF:
Default Lessara

I really like your photo. It's nice to put a face with your name!
Your kids must be very sweet to give away half of thier candy like that. Not many children seem to have that temperment these days. You must be proud of them!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 19:07

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

I already ate some. I don't know if it'll help you guys decide or not, but I feel pretty bad. Keep that in mind. Also remember how long it takes to get back into ketosis...like 4 days? For some sweets that make you feel bad? Of course you can also think about it as, well, it's only 4-6 days (or 2 weeks!) to get back to where I am now. Up to you. I've already made my choice.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 19:16

Stats: 290/262/175
BF:
Progress: 24%

I live in a (student loan inspired) basement suite, so I cant imagine having any trick or treaters. I didnt buy any goodies. I am going to work tonight though where there are pre-teens and bags and bags of chips to hand out... I figure that I will take my toothbrush and brush my teeth whenever I get the urge to bust open a bag... I hate wrecking the feeling of freshly cleaned teeth. That is the premise anyways...

Good luck to us all
Holly