Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-19, 17:49

Plan: DDF
Stats: 220/137/155 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 128%
Default Need to reframe thinking - what is working for people?

Hi everyone, I sort of used to post here and on Low Carb Friends. I have really drifted from low carb and want to get back to it. I originally lost about 60 lbs in 2010. Probably have gained back half or more. Too scared to look right now.

Anyways, I want to get up to date on the more recent concepts. Fasting? Carnivore? What is working for people?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-19, 18:19

Plan: no specific plan
Stats: 177/141/147 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 120%

Keeping it simple works for me.
1. Don't eat sugar, grains, potatoes or beans.
2. Don't eat things that are more than about 6-7 grams of carbs
per serving.
3. Use butter! Use coconut oil! Eat the fat on your steak! Eat bacon! Fat is flavorful and filling...you won't feel deprived.
4. I don't drink milk or use it in cooking. I use heavy cream, cream cheese, and sour cream. Again..you won't feel deprived.
5. Eat only when you're actually hungry and then just until you're satiated. When you're used to binge eating this may be hard to determine..so decide ahead of time what you think will be enough and stop then. Amounts will change as you lose..maybe at first breakfast will be three eggs and 4 slices of bacon (remember no toast or juice!) and later one egg and two slices may be enough.
6. Don't tell yourself that you can never have dessert again...after some number of weeks or months of success, find a recipe or two that uses Swerve or Lankato. This gives you something to make for celebrations that you can enjoy.
7. Success comes when your way of eating (WOE) is a lifestyle change vs. a "diet".
8. Don't cheat.
9. Don't cheat.
10. Don't cheat.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-19, 19:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome back.

What BeachDonna said.

What works for me is to stick to the basics: never, never eat sugar or starches in any form, just stick to plenty of fatty meat, fish and chicken with as much vegies as I feel like.

I agree don't cheat, but if you do find yourself falling off the wagon occasionally (we are all human) just forgive yourself and climb right back on.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-19, 00:11

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Eat only real food. Nothing processed; no chemicals.
Be generous with butter and olive oil. Shun oils like canola.
Avoid sugar.
Get plenty of salt. Salty broth is great.
Don’t snack.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-19, 10:32

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

One thing I have always done is weigh in the morning AND at night before I go to bed. Morning is for recording and tracking and night time is to see if I'm retaining fluid. If I'm puffed up from the day's meals, I know in a few days that will come on as weight gain. It helps identify which foods just are not OK in a way that only doing morning weighs doesn't. You have to be able to be neutral at the scale, though, and just see it as feedback. If little fluctuation will derail you, it's not a good idea.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-19, 12:57

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I like jscwab's advice about figuring out what foods are inflammatory. That's definitely a great strategy for when you're in the groove. I have found that dairy and pork (!!) are inflammatory for me. In the mean time, I'd say if you're just getting back into things, just keep it simple. For me that means no sugar, no grains. I always feel I have tremendous freedom to eat whatever I want so long as I stay within those parameters.

Right now, what I'm doing is primarily carnivore. Mostly because I don't like vegetables. Ocassionally, I'll have some dairy.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-19, 15:46

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

All of the above is great advice!

I would add that in the beginning, don't worry about quantity of meat and fat. Eat plenty of those foods. If you're hungry, eat some meat of something fatty.

Add in some low carb veg (think lettuce, celery, spinach, green peppers, cucumber, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower to make it interesting, but keep carbs down to less than 10 per meal.

Don't snack is great advice once you, but in the beginning, if you find yourself hungry between meals, eat some protein or fat. Then at the next meal, eat a larger quantity of protein and fat so that you can make it until your next meal.

The goal is to get your insulin levels down so you can access your body's fat stores and keep blood sugar stable. Snacking impedes that process. But so does going off the rails and grabbing something carby. Do what will keep you on program until your body is fat adapted.

I would not attempt fasting until you are in control (fat adapted). When you are burning your own fat, going longer without eating comes more naturally.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-19, 16:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I found I had to go 90% carnivore to get the health results I wanted, and the further weight loss was a bonus. Fasting was a great help: I kicked off this experiment with a 3 day fast. Thanks to Dr. Fung's tips like plenty of salt and green tea.

This made things get easier and easier. I skipped vegetables mostly and used high fat dairy instead.

Did you learn to cook? Because that's a deal-breaker.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-19, 03:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Everyone's advice is great. I'll just add:
- DON'T get information overload. Ultimately, the best "concept" is the one that you can stick to.
- Work with what's going on in your life right now. I've been successful while having the luxury of only working part time, I've done it while unemployed and terribly broke, I've done it working full-time on my feet, and now I'm doing it while working the almost-midnight shift. It's a grind, but I've learned to do what works. We go through lots of lifestyle changes in life, some long-term, some short-term - your kids (if you have them,) relationships, homes, jobs, seasons. Go with what your lifestyle, budget etc is right now and don't be afraid to have different tools in your toolbox for different circumstances.

On the topic of assuming food reactions based on scale weight gain during the day... I'm not sure it's accurate. Aren't there too many other confounding factors? Exercise, how much water you drank, occasional medications like ibuprofen, humidity (ie how much water evaporates from your skin), saltier foods vs very little added salt, high-fiber foods, etc. If it were me, I wouldn't draw conclusions unless I was weighing, measuring and recording everything that went in my mouth, including water. The reason most of us stick with first-thing-in-the-morning weights is that our bed time routine tends to be repetitive and steady, unlike our waking hours.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Nov-10-19 at 03:43.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-19, 07:14

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

What Kristine said. Keep to a plan, like DANDR. You know how.

I added fasting, once I understood Dr Fung's work. I can do a 36 hr fast once Im back in ketosis.

Also, my family no longer uses any highly processed oils derived from grains. Butter, coconut oil, avocado oil as a PAM substitute, beef fat, etc.

And mostly whole foods with yummy herbs and spices.Red chili flakes kick up everything a notch. And homemade red thai curry.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-19, 08:14

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Easy peasy. As easy as 1-2-3.

1) Fewer than 20 carbs per day.

2) Twice as much fat per day as protein.

3) Multi-vitamins to give me what I'm missing by not eating many plants

Bob