Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 14:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Eggs. Normally April eggs are cheaper than usual as the hens are in overdrive. This year the demand for eggs is abnormally high.

Extra eggs can be frozen. I mix beaten eggs with salt and freeze. In one cup freezer safe containets. And use in baking, not scrambled eggs as the texture is off.

( my incubator is full, no nothing going into freezee this year,)
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 08:54

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The egg rush should lessen as people are no longer buying them to make Easter eggs.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 09:00

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Yes, Dodger. All those Easter eggs are now being turned into egg salad, deviled eggs, and egg casseroles. Demand will dip!

As to face masks: I can't imagine being ridiculed and hassled for wearing a face mask. What a strange experience. A lot of people in my community are wearing masks, especially colorful homemade ones.

On the other hand, I know that people of color are sometimes afraid to wear them because of existing prejudiced assumptions. That's yet another of the cultural underpinnings that will be transformed, we can only hope, by the realizations of the pandemic.

Be safe everybody.
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 09:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

All those eggs...both Ivor Cummins and Dr. Paul Mason only eat the yolks. 8 yolk omelets! You can read the Transcript, the recommended diet to protect against virus, reduce inflammation (meat, fish and eggs) is right at the end.

https://thefatemperor.com/ep68-dr-p...s-crucial-info/
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 09:39

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
All those eggs...both Ivor Cummins and Dr. Paul Mason only eat the yolks. 8 yolk omelets! You can read the Transcript, the recommended diet to protect against virus, reduce inflammation (meat, fish and eggs) is right at the end.

https://thefatemperor.com/ep68-dr-p...s-crucial-info/
And there is a transcript for fellow talking-head phobes, though some of the mis-transcribed words are pretty funny, like "Sadik Khan stone" for "cytokine storm" and "fades" for "foods".

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Apr-15-20 at 12:36.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 10:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Love the transcript and its related spelling-challenged humor, but it afforded a quick read.

Ivor's comments about medical practitioners who continue to embrace the lipid hypothesis accurately reflects my own feelings:
Quote:
Ivor (01:01:51):Well, you know, Paul, I think it hardly weighs at all because these people, I don't, unfortunately, they're the great and gold who are respected. Some of them may have an inkling of what we're talking about and it would mean they're kind of evil. But I think the vast majority believes their own BS. It's not so much a conspiracy. Decades and decades of fully accepted, anti-science have become so endemic now at this stage that most of these experts actually believe their own BS and it's only if you get them in a room on a bit like clockwork orange, I don't know if you saw Kubrick's masterpiece where they have to get the guy and hold his eyelids open so he can watch and see. You need to get each one in and show them the data and that's the only thing that a break true. The permafrost off their ignorance I think so.

I strongly believe those who have achieved a healthy metabolism through diet have a very strong resistance to viruses and infections in general, and it bodes well for those of us in these times. Nice to hear Paul Mason weigh in on this, as he echoes the recent thoughts of many others.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 11:23

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
And there is a transcript for fellow talking-head phobes, though some of the mis-transcribed words are pretty funny, like "Sadik Khan stone" for "cytokine storm".
Thank you! I hate watching videos so unless there is a written transcript I just don’t bother. I’ve seen some funny transcribed words too though. It makes me wonder who does the transcribing. And apparently the video participants don’t do any proof reading.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 11:54
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
It makes me wonder who does the transcribing. And apparently the video participants don’t do any proof reading.

Probably a free speech-to-text transcription app
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 12:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Probably a free speech-to-text transcription app
Interesting. I know lots of people used to complain to Jimmy Moore that he didn’t provide transcripts of his interviews. His response was always that it was just way too expensive to provide transcripts and he couldn’t afford to do it.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 04:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

My brother on the opposite end of the continent and I have funny conversations where we use only voice recognition instead of typing.

It should be a cheap start of a transcription, then edited. This is my plan for my videos, which we are still trying to get started amidst all this mayhem.
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 15:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
And there is a transcript for fellow talking-head phobes, though some of the mis-transcribed words are pretty funny, like "Sadik Khan stone" for "cytokine storm" and "fades" for "foods".
Funny since yes I saw the "Sadik Khan stone" in the transcription. Yet just a sentence or two further along, in the same paragraph, they had "cytokine storm" right there properly spelled.
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 07:35

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Well I will give my spill on all of this.

I live right outside a city in the county, and as you all know I am 8 years out from a heart transplant. I have been on heavy immune suppression drugs since day 1. I AM NOT WORRIED THAT MUCH. WHY you ask? cause they have always told us to be this way as in stay away from big crowds, sick people, if they look unhealthy, coughing, pneumonia, flu, bird flu,scars, soooo many things can take us out it's crazy.

I have been at home for the past 2 months plus, but yes I have been to some stores, and gas stations in my little town which has no cases. In my county 17 college kids had it and recovered. I took my fast car to get built to make it faster to the epicenter 3 hours away and I am fine. My buddy who help me with his truck and trailor work for Lowes which he said has been Packed with people .

I ordered all my meds and have 9 months worth of all, and my Vit D, and other I take. I am still fasting for about 20 hours and exercising and walking at parks and my streets which many people are walking now.

Food:

before all this we butchered hogs before all of this and I have 2 freezer full of fresh meat. I alos started preping 2 years ago and have a 8 months supply of Long life (30 year storage) food. I have packs of surgical grade makes and N95's. Now I have not had to dip into any of my stash, but if I do that means things are bad .

Today is April 28th, and Sam's has TP, my fav thick cut apple wood smoke back, sausage, eggs, LC veggies, and tons more. they are opening places back up already, and I am still going to stay away, and we have not spent any big money at all.

All in all I have worn a mask 1 time, and funny thing is I had to wear a mask for about a year after my transplant lol, it nothing new to me. All these steaps to be safe is what all transplant have to live by for life.
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 09:02

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrracing

All in all I have worn a mask 1 time, and funny thing is I had to wear a mask for about a year after my transplant lol, it nothing new to me. All these steaps to be safe is what all transplant have to live by for life.

When I asked my 18 year old granddaughter how she was a dealing with all this she said that since she had experience with this type of thing before it wasn't that difficult. She had a year of chemo starting when she was 15, often in the hospital, and immune compromised because of it. She had to wear a mask when out, stay away from crowds and sick people and generally be careful. She also said at least this time she is feeling ok rather than feeling sick from chemo.

Continue staying safe. It sounds as if you couldn't be better prepared.
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 13:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrracing
Well I will give my spill on all of this.

I live right outside a city in the county, and as you all know I am 8 years out from a heart transplant. I have been on heavy immune suppression drugs since day 1. I AM NOT WORRIED THAT MUCH. WHY you ask? cause they have always told us to be this way as in stay away from big crowds, sick people, if they look unhealthy, coughing, pneumonia, flu, bird flu,scars, soooo many things can take us out it's crazy.

I have been at home for the past 2 months plus, but yes I have been to some stores, and gas stations in my little town which has no cases. In my county 17 college kids had it and recovered. I took my fast car to get built to make it faster to the epicenter 3 hours away and I am fine. My buddy who help me with his truck and trailor work for Lowes which he said has been Packed with people .

I ordered all my meds and have 9 months worth of all, and my Vit D, and other I take. I am still fasting for about 20 hours and exercising and walking at parks and my streets which many people are walking now.

Food:

before all this we butchered hogs before all of this and I have 2 freezer full of fresh meat. I alos started preping 2 years ago and have a 8 months supply of Long life (30 year storage) food. I have packs of surgical grade makes and N95's. Now I have not had to dip into any of my stash, but if I do that means things are bad .

Today is April 28th, and Sam's has TP, my fav thick cut apple wood smoke back, sausage, eggs, LC veggies, and tons more. they are opening places back up already, and I am still going to stay away, and we have not spent any big money at all.

Interesting story with some good observations. We're starting to see things come back to life here in Northern VA; yet, people are far more careful and respectful of distancing. I realized after my Costco run last week that I can stop buying meat for several weeks now, as I have a solid stock of beef, pork, seafood, and chicken in the freezer. When we go out, we're wearing face masks in the form of doubled up fishing gaiters that go around the neck and can be pulled up over the nose when we go into stores. I'm still trying to locate disinfectant wipes with not much success, but I'm not looking as hard at this point. Express pickup is consistent from two grocery stores and delivery from Whole Foods has been same day delivery.

As for the social side, you never realize how important it is until you don't have it. Even for introverts, socializing is something you rely on and can throttle, and when face-to-face is not possible, you notice it. My adult children have started using the Houseparty app that joins people via video and provides group games, and they've even roped their older parents, aunts uncles, and kids into the fray. The constant laughter when my DD is playing with friends and family brings a smile to my face, as these activities are so important during this time. Intentionally making things interesting and maintaining a sense of humor are things we work on nowadays, as levity is key. I'm sure the social constraints will be over, but I'm purposely not making any predictions as to when, because I'm determined to enjoy life regardless. My DD conducts daily and intense video workouts with her cousin, resulting in peals of laughter through the house. I, too, join a video stream done by a fitness instructor friend of HIIT and other routines about 3 times a week to keep me fit. Yeah, it is a new normal, but it's working.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Tue, Apr-28-20 at 13:13.
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-20, 02:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Yeah, it is a new normal, but it's working.

Mr WereBear and I had the advantage of already having an established home routine. Sharing movies and cats already, we just get to do more of what we already enjoy. We do miss our friends, but I've already started Facetime with one, urging another, and we visit at a distance with the couple on the second floor. Yesterday, we were out enjoying the sunshine and she was talking to us from her second floor window

One tremendous advantage for low carb -- possibly to balance out the heck shopping has become -- is how I cook more often and enjoy it more. I've perfected keto cheesecake and realized I was eating too many salad greens