Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 12:46

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Exercise/Fitness Challenge

I would like to challenge any and all to join me in a commitment to exercise a minimum of 3 days cardio a week from Monday, August 12th until December 31st, 2002. Even better if you choose to try some strength/resistance training 3 days a week as well!

I'll be doing the 6 days a week version with an eye to continuing to increase my LBM and lose fat.

I'd like to extend a special invitation to those of you who aren't currently exercising. Where there is a will, there is a way and your commitment to exercise will pay off big dividends, I promise you!

As a long term couch potato I can testify to the difference exercise has made in my life and I'd love to see everyone in the forum enjoying those benefits too.

Since exercising regularly and eating a LC food plan,

I sleep better. 8 restful hours a night.
I have more energy. Energy to "burn" in fact.
My mental state is significantly improved.
My mood and temperment are more even and mostly positive.
All of the joint aches and pains I had are gone.
My posture has improved; shoulders are back, back is straight.
I can squat down in the library to look at books on the bottom shelf, stay squatted longer and still get up again without groaning.
I don't huff and puff runnning up a flight of stairs.
I think nothing of sprinting a block to catch a green light.
Showers take half as much time....there's that much less of me to lather.

Just 20 minutes a day.....three days a week if you'd like to join me and participate by supporting each other.

Marlaine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 13:47

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hey, Marlaine … What good timing this is for me, since I'm planning to start BFL on Monday. (Started one other time, but got derailed.) I've been doing cardio a few days a week just to do something until I was ready to start BFL

Some of my exercise goals are …
… to have more energy for my kids,
… to fit into my clothes fit better (and wear some smaller ones, too)
… to be stronger and healthier by the time I enter my forties (will be 39 this month)
… to dance more enthusiastically and passionately with my sweetie!

I'm especially encouraged by your example, Marlaine, since you mentioned in another thread that you hadn't exercised regularly 'til you were 47. I've never stuck with any exercise routine for more than a few months, but I'm hoping to change that this time.

So yes … I'm in!

Rhu
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 13:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Marlaine, is my newly acquired excercise bike considered cardio? If not, what exactly is cardio?

- Couch Potato Queen!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 14:00

BF:

Rhu......
Yup.....something I'm not proud of, but true. Didn't start regular exercise until I was 47. As a child and in my teens, I enjoyed lots of active pastimes - dancing, skating, snowshoeing, water skiing, canoeing, hiking, and swimming, to name a few. By the time I was 17, that all came to an end. Then 30 years of Couch Potatodom! Thank goodness I finally WOKE UP!!

Welcome, I'm delighted to have you sign on! And as for BFL, what can I say - I love it!! Wishing you all of the best at it!

Talon...aka Couch Potato Queen.....

YES!! and exercise bike is cardio! Cardio is defined as any exercise that get's your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes. Welcome....to the challenge!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 14:18

Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%

Ok Marlaine...I'm in too...boy exercise challenge and No cheat till Labor Day. I definitely should be a skinnier me by Christmas. I can't wait
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 14:32

BF:

Cher.....

Since the weather here has cooled a bit and I'm working more hours at my part-time job, but not so much that I'm run off of my feet, I'm feeling like making another concentrated drive toward my goal. More consistency again with my working out and cleaning up my daily menus with more 'clean' protein and less LC junque food.

I consider myself "in training" because I plan to be in school in September and need to be fit both physically and mentally. I want to excel at my course and that's what it's going to take.

I'm thrilled to see that you are joining us!!

Marlaine
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 14:52

BF:

Here is a bit of inspiration that I'd like to share with anyone peeking in here:

Quote:
A workout is 25% Perspiration and 75% Determination. Stated another way, it is one part physical exertion and three parts self-discipline. Doing it is easy once you get started.

A workout makes you feel better today than you were yesterday. It strengthens the body, relaxes the mind and toughens the spirit. When you work out regularly, your problems diminish and your confidence grows.

A workout is a personal triumph over laziness and procrastination. It is the badge of a Winner, the mark of an organized, goal-oriented person who has taken charge of his or her destiny. A workout is a wise use of time and an Investment in excellence. It is a way of preparing for life's challenges and proving to yourself that you have what it takes to do what is necessary.

A workout is a key that helps unlock the door to Opportunity and success. Hidden within each of us is an extraordinary force. Physical and mental fitness are the triggers that can release it.

A workout is a form of Rebirth. When you finish a good workout, you don't simply feel better. You feel better about yourself!

George H. Allen
Chairman of the President's Council on Physical Fitness
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 15:03

Plan: Keto
Stats: 203/187.2/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:75%/5%/25%
Progress: 25%
Default OK, you got it!

I'm in! Cher's in... I am in!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 20:02

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Good! I am in too then! August 12th will give me a chance to practice a bit to get up to 20 minutes.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 08:19
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Count me in!!!

Thanks Marlaine for the challenge. I walk every day but this will help me up my exercise . Friends wants me to start teaching belly dancing so this well help be get the ball rolling. I look forward in getting healthier. Congratulation on starting back to school this fall.
Donna
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 180/173/145
BF:
Progress: 20%
Post Bikini here I come!

I'm in!

Rhubarb- I'm starting BFL tomorrow am too! I'll make sure to keep in touch, so that we can help each other out!

The end of this Exercise Countdown is about a week before my birthday, and my skimpy bikini on the beach goal, so it couldn't be more perfect timing!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 14:29

Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%
Default woo hoo...

I'm so happy to see Linda and DonnaJ here...very cool. OK...Marlaine...the big question....Does a massage count??????????????

Just Kidding

Bad...Bad..... Cher
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 18:54
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Smile Good evening friends

Wanted to report that I did my one hour of belly dancing and I am exhausted and short breath but I know that this well go away the longer I do these exercise. I also walked my 1 mile in 15 minutes. I hope everyone have a great low carb evening.
Donna
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 22:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Cher
...the big question....Does a massage count?

Yes, absolutely, providing YOU are the one giving it!

Marlaine
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 12:28

BF:

I know that we have 7 days until the challenge officially begins, but feel free to get a jump start on it!!

Today I did my LBWO at home (as recorded in my Gym Log) and it took about 40 minutes. I have a 20 min cardio session planned for a little later today. Just a quick run around my neighbourhood because I'm actually craving the activity!!

Marlaine