Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 03:04

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default How ultra-processed food took over your shopping basket

How ultra-processed food took over your shopping basket

Quote:
It’s cheap, attractive and convenient, and we eat it every day – it’s difficult not to. But is ultra-processed food making us ill and driving the global obesity crisis?

By Bee Wilson
Quote:
Which foods qualify as ultra-processed? It’s almost easier to say which are not. I got a cup of coffee the other day at a train station cafe and the only snacks for sale that were not ultra-processed were a banana and a packet of nuts. The other options were: a panini made from ultra-processed bread, flavoured crisps, chocolate bars, long-life muffins and sweet wafer biscuits – all ultra-processed.

What characterises ultra-processed foods is that they are so altered that it can be hard to recognise the underlying ingredients. These are concoctions of concoctions, engineered from ingredients that are already highly refined, such as cheap vegetable oils, flours, whey proteins and sugars, which are then whipped up into something more appetising with the help of industrial additives such as emulsifiers.

Ultra-processed foods (or UPF) now account for more than half of all the calories eaten in the UK and US, and other countries are fast catching up. UPFs are now simply part of the flavour of modern life. These foods are convenient, highly profitable, strongly flavoured, aggressively marketed and affordable – and on sale in supermarkets everywhere. The foods themselves may be familiar, yet the term “ultra-processed” is less so. None of the friends I spoke with while writing this piece could recall ever having heard it in daily conversation. But everyone had a pretty good hunch what it meant. One recognised the concept as described by the US food writer Michael Pollan – “edible foodlike substances”.

Some UPFs, such as sliced bread or mass-produced cakes, have been around for many decades, but the percentage of UPFs in the average person’s diet has never been anything like as high as it is today. It would be unusual for most of us to get through the day without consuming at least a few ultra-processed items.

You might say that ultra-processed is just a pompous way to describe many of your normal, everyday pleasures. It could be your morning bowl of Cheerios or your evening pot of flavoured yoghurt. It’s savoury snacks and sweet baked goods. It’s chicken nuggets or vegan hotdogs, as the case may be. It’s the doughnut you buy when you are being indulgent, and the premium protein bar you eat at the gym for a quick energy boost. It’s the long-life almond milk in your coffee and the Diet Coke you drink in the afternoon. Consumed in isolation and moderation, each of these products may be perfectly wholesome. With their long shelf life, ultra-processed foods are designed to be microbiologically safe. The question is what happens to our bodies when UPFs become as prevalent as they have done.

Evidence now suggests that diets heavy in UPFs can cause overeating and obesity. Consumers may blame themselves for overindulging in these foods, but what if it is in the nature of these products to be overeaten?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...carlos-monteiro
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 03:21

Plan: IF/Keto/80:20
Stats: 162/150/142 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Demi, you beat me to it, just read this and it certainly has the ring of truth about it. Rice Crispies are still my personal crack cocaine, I could eat a whole box and still not feel full.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 09:33

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Double post

Last edited by Dodger : Thu, Feb-13-20 at 10:13. Reason: Double post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 09:34

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

What makes a 'food' ultra-processed as opposed to just processed?

It is easy to see that Dannon's Danimales Swingin' Strawberry Banana Squeezables are ultra-processed with ingredients of :

Cultured Grade A Low Fat Milk, Sugar, Water, Contains Less Than 1% Of, Modified Tapioca Starch, Modified Food Starch, Kosher Gelatin, Natural Flavors, Calcium Citrate, Black Carrot Juice And Beta Carotene (For Color), Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (To Maintain Freshness), Vitamin D3, Sodium Citrate

Is a regular yogurt that contains just full-fat milk and cream considered processed?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 10:06

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'm not sure the problem is so much "ultra-processed" as it is flavour/appetite science--with a bit of free-market natural selection mixed in. And increased choice. Not hungry? Good luck walking through a modern supermarket without going past something you'd like to eat anyways. That yogurt ingredient list--the most likely to be damaging I see are the starch and sugar, but these aren't exactly new.

I remember when chips/snacks took up a tiny section, now they get several aisles in a much larger supermarket.

"Processed" is sort of problematic. I don't think grinding meat into hamburger is quite the same as grinding wheat or corn. But the "name your poison" sometimes applied to alcohol is probably important here, too. In a world where the only junk food available was twinkies (blecch) I'd be pretty safe.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 10:23

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

oh the days of eating a whole box of CapnCrunch !

Or Wheat Thins......

I now wonder who is eating my share.....

" Processed " is a tricky word. Just killing a chicken and either keeping whole, or cutting up is "processing". Perhaps that is why " ultra processed" was chosen.

Hamburger could be looked at as ultra processed.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Feb-13-20 at 14:48.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 11:25

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Maybe we should just go with "refined." Why say processed? It throws sausages under the bus... but I don't think that sort of processing of meat is all that bad without the additives--generally refined additives. "Processed" versus "ultra-processed"--we're dealing with something hard to quantify. Ground up and then deep-fried is more processed than just ground up--but is it more processed than ground up, and baked? It's quality of processing, not degree that makes the difference.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 11:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I like "refined." Because aside from the super-refined ingredients like sugar, seed oils, bleached wheat flour, and the like, the resulting product goes right into the bloodstream as pure sugar.

I'll never forget DH's astonishment that his "healthy" frozen meal of Swiss Steak and Mashed Potatoes with Gravy with like eating a slice of cake to his body.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 14:51

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I like "refined." Because aside from the super-refined ingredients like sugar, seed oils, bleached wheat flour, and the like, the resulting product goes right into the bloodstream as pure sugar.

I'll never forget DH's astonishment that his "healthy" frozen meal of Swiss Steak and Mashed Potatoes with Gravy with like eating a slice of cake to his body.

All the crappy food disquised as good for you.

It is just STUNNING that most people cannot read food labels.And fewer that can read " between the lines. "
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 16:27

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Demi, you post some great newsworthy articles.

I am now a "shop the perimeter" of the grocery store kind of guy.

I'll eat some ultra-processed foods, but definitely in moderation and definitely not daily.

But I remember older times when those bright, colorful, boxes and bags loaded with enough sugar to make cardboard taste good were a daily dose.

I'm healthier now.

Bob
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 17:52

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Demi, thanks for posting this article. I have posted it on Twitter and FaceBook - will see if I get any reaction. Great idea.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 18:03
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Cheese*It :"the square crackers are made with wheat flour, and/or vegetable oils, cheese made with skim milk, salt, and spices."

#13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-20, 17:48

BF:

When I was a child and young adult, I loved Cheese-It crackers.

Of course being keto I don't waste my carbs on that anymore.

I also avoid as much as I can anything with vegetable oil as it is inflammatory - Canola (rapeseed), Soy, Corn, and others. Olive, coconut, and lard are my oils/fats of choice.

Like many on this forum, I mostly shop the perimeter of the grocery store.

Bob
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-20, 11:50

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Perimeter shopping definitely makes trips to the supermarket a lot quicker. I do pop down aisles occasionally for certain things - olive oil, Sir Kensington avocado oil mayo, sometimes nuts or very dark chocolate ... but it can be annoying as I don't always remember which aisle certainly things are located in and the overhead signs don't always tell you.

Clearly the supermarket design is for everyone to go up and down every single aisle, but I totally refuse to do that!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-20, 13:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Perimeter shopping definitely makes trips to the supermarket a lot quicker. I do pop down aisles occasionally for certain things - olive oil, Sir Kensington avocado oil mayo, sometimes nuts or very dark chocolate ... but it can be annoying as I don't always remember which aisle certainly things are located in and the overhead signs don't always tell you.

Clearly the supermarket design is for everyone to go up and down every single aisle, but I totally refuse to do that!

Yes, those index signs at the end of each aisle are of little help. They usually don't list what I'm after, (with the exception of coffee).

Bob