Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 00:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221/215/140 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Default New to this (kind of scared)

Hi People everywhere,
I read the book, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution,twice now. I am really excited to try something that might, just might!, WORK! Is it possible? The only problem is that I don't think I can go long term without fruit and lots of veggies. I can do without the potatoes and rice, cutting down violently on bread-okay, if I have to-but what about fruit? Anyway, I figure that after the induction and weight loss is complete, I can add some fresh fruit, right? And I LOVE beans. Any kind of bean. I simply must have chili and refries and hummous and lentils etc...eventually. If I simply MUST cut out beans and bread and fruit forever and totally then this is'nt going to work. Is Atkins the right plan for me? Any ideas?
I have been off and on diets for 20 years. I'm sick and tired of dieting. I am so ready for a lifestyle change. Neither myself nor my husband are in perfect shape and we both have about 50 pounds to lose. I was sceptical of Dr. Atkins simply because neither of us eat alot of meat. Also, the worst part, is that my honey boy is totally lactose intolerant. I can't make the things with cream etc...he can eat hard cheeses okay but what about him? What about his sweet tooth? Man cannot live by sugar free Jello alone. I know because he's told me that about 70 times. After induction can I maybe get some ideas for what to put in his lunch box from some of you? Or is that a question for another forum? We loved veggies,potatoes, rice and sauces. Also pop, cookies, pies...it's terrible and if we don't stop we are going to make ourselves truly sick. So, this is my introduction
to this web site. I toured around on it for awhile and you all seem to be really
nice people. Thanks in advance for all the help and support. Wish me luck-with my past history I'll need it. Budo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 00:29

Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

Budo, this needs to be dedication to making yourselves healthy. If you want to continue to eat the foods that made you unhealthy then this plan is not for you.

In regards to cutting fruits and breads forever, I thought you read the book twice. Nowhere does it say you will cut these foods off forever. They can be reintroduced slowly after the two-week induction. You need to commit yourselves to the two weeks though. And maybe I read your post wrong but Atkins is all about the veggies. Following this plan for over 1 year I have eaten more veggies than in my previous 36 years combined.

As far as plans go, perhaps you might take a look at the South Beach Diet (SBD) or the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet (CAD). Both are more liberal than Atkins. CAD even allows a Reward Meal which permits you to eat some of your favorite foods.

I didn't think I would ever stick to the Atkins plan. But after 125lbs and more importantly, regaining my HEALTH, I can't imagine not following Atkins anymore. This has truly become a Way of Life, not just a diet.

Good Luck to both of you!!

OG

p.s. there are a lot of Low Carb snacks on the market that you can have after the two week induction that will satisfy a sweet tooth.

Last edited by Operaghost : Tue, Jan-27-04 at 00:31.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 07:52
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

Budo,

Just wanted to welcome you!

~Dana~
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 08:42
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Welcome to the forums Budo! Best of luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 09:05
Living Healthy

Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

Welcome to the forum Budo. Check out the plans and decide what's right for you. BUT, I found that thinking about giving up foods I always thought I couldn't live without was much worse than actually doing it. There are a lot of lc substitutes for many of my old favorites, but I seldom even try them. I'm not bored with my food choices (after 8 1/2 months) and very seldom crave anything off program. Give it a chance--the adjustment takes awhile but then it really does become a way of life.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 09:11

Stats: 255/188/165 Female 68.5
BF:
Progress:

Budo, once you start seeing the results of lowcarbing I think you'll see it's well worth it. As for your sweet tooth, check out Hershey's and Russell Stover sugar free. I can't tell the difference between the sf and the real thing. Stay strong during induction and then weigh the benefits of adding back your faves in small stages.

Good luck!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 09:14
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

Hi Budo,

Welcome to the forum. I just want you to know that I agree with OG re the diet plan that you have chosen.
(See link on right for what what lowcarb plan is right for you)
I too have had so much veggies than I have ever had in my life. I was one who wouldnt be caught dead eating a salad. Nowadays I look forward to having my salads.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 11:12

Stats: 221/215/140 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks

Thank you all for the prompt and positive posts. I intend to stick this out and
having some people who have been through this and know the pitfalls will definetly help.
I made some mistakes after the two week induction. I added carrots and onions (too many, too fast-I think) and I had two glasses of wine. Then the ketosis stopped and I stopped losing.
I have to be more careful about adding the veggies and the wine, right?
Thanks again. Laura