Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 01:23

Plan: atkins (kinda)
Stats: 196.6/188.1/150 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default what kind of excercises should i be doing?

ok here's the story.

to date i've lost all of my weight through sporadic low carbing - the times i stuck to plan i lost and lost fast - the times i didn't (more often than not), i gained little if anything and lost it plus some when i got back on the wagon.

now i'm at a stage where the weight has stopped coming off despite largely sticking to plan and i realize to get anything more off i'm going to have to start excercising. *siiiigh*

the only place i need to lose weight is around my upper and lower belly (there ain't no abs there i'm sure of it ) i have skinny legs, skinny arms, slim face etc....it's all just belly fat that needs to go now and quite a bit of it.

so i'm wondering if with this in mind someone could suggest some excercises that would be helpful. i understand spot reduction is a myth and i don't want to be growing muscles under my fat but thinking surely there must be some types of excercises that would be more beneficial than others for what i want to achieve.

i don't do gyms (can't afford it)
or have any type of home equipment and i don't run.

what i have started doing over the last few days is walking a lot and i walk at a good brisk pace too.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 01:59

BF:

ps - i've just found the *Mathews Method* for abdominal excercises. does anyone have any experience with this???
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 14:56

BF:
Default *bump*

and after all the extra excercising i've done the last couple of days, even though it only walking it's still way more than i usually get - i find myself up another 1/2 a pound this morning.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 152/145/135 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

How much water do u drink? Try upping your water intake and doing a little resistance training. Lifting weights seems like its making a difference in my weightloss. Im losing inches everywhere including around the middle. .
Have u tried crunches?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 23:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinnube
How much water do u drink? Try upping your water intake and doing a little resistance training. Lifting weights seems like its making a difference in my weightloss. Im losing inches everywhere including around the middle. .
Have u tried crunches?

i drink anything from 3 - 9 litres of water a day..hehe i've thought about crunches and sit-ups thinking they sounded the most logical choices...but worried about just building muscles under the fat. then last nite after posting this i read about the *Mathews Method* and they totally slam crunches and situps in favour of working muscles deeper into the abdomen so i'm confused once again.

thanx for your post and congrats on the weightloss.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 05:22

Plan: none
Stats: 189/161/154 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
and after all the extra excercising i've done the last couple of days, even though it only walking it's still way more than i usually get - i find myself up another 1/2 a pound this morning.

My exprience has been that whenever I seriously up or change my exercise programme, I either gain weight or stall. This seems to be true for quite a lot of people I've spoken to also Give a couple of weeks for your body to adjust, you should see a drop again...

Concerning the abs... I'm from the school that says if you want to move that flab you're going to have to do some cardio; sorry!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 12:35

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

abs are made in the kitchen... 90% of that is diet.

the fat leaves the places where you hold it most - last. hence i have a slightly squishy tush.

i'm of the school that suggests weight training to increase metabolism. muscle at rest burns a zillion times more fat than fat will... and too much cardio will burn muscle along with fat...
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 12:44

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Weight training will also fix the skinny arms and legs problem. Low intensity cardio like walking is very catabolic - will burn what little muscle you have. Pilates is very good for abs - do a search, there's been about 5000 threads started on it.

Jen
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 18:06

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverjen
Weight training will also fix the skinny arms and legs problem. Low intensity cardio like walking is very catabolic - will burn what little muscle you have. Pilates is very good for abs - do a search, there's been about 5000 threads started on it.

Jen

you mean steady state high intensity cardio right? walking is not catabolic that i'm aware of.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 18:40
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Quote:
. Low intensity cardio like walking is very catabolic

HUH?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 19:41

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Low intensity cardio like walking is very catabolic - will burn what little muscle you have. Jen

Patently false. Low intensity cardio will preferentially burn fat, assuming your amino acid pool isn't borderline empty.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 19:43

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan

i don't do gyms (can't afford it)
or have any type of home equipment and i don't run.

There is no substitute for resistance exercise. You will need a modicum of home gym gear. An incline bench and a few dumbells can provide a great variety of beginner exercises for under $200.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 20:14

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

I just bought a 100lb barbell set where the barbell plates can be used as dumbells as well -- included a curl bar as well. $49 or so at my local Sportsmart. So you don't need anything too expensive.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 20:28

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Hmm... I'll have to check my sources, but seems like I read that several places and was surprised myself. I think most of the bodybuilders do 20 min of HIIT now for cardio, and I think it was in reference to that.

Jen
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 20:44
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Yes, if I remember correctly low intensity can be catabolic if you go for more than and hour or so, but not if kept shorter in duration.