Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-19, 00:37

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Study: Low-carb Atkins-style diet may modestly improve cognition in older adults

Quote:
Study: Low-carb Atkins-style diet may modestly improve cognition in older adults

Findings of small pilot study warrant further exploration of dietary impact on brain function, Johns Hopkins researchers say

In a pilot study of 14 older adults with mild cognitive problems suggestive of early Alzheimer's disease, Johns Hopkins Medicine researchers found that a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet may improve brain function and memory.

Finding study participants willing to adhere to restrictive diets for the three-month study—or partners willing to help them stick to those diets —was challenging, researchers say, but those who did try a modified Atkins diet characterized by very low carbohydrates and extra fat had small but measurable improvements on standardized tests of memory compared with those on a low-fat diet.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2019/07/09/low-...ion-alzheimers/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-19, 07:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good news, and I stick to this type of "diet" every day. It's not challenging at all.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-19, 09:19

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Good news, and I stick to this type of "diet" every day. It's not challenging at all.

I agree, not challenging at all - for you, or for me. But how about for people who have not eaten this way before, who are well established consumers of SAD, who perhaps can feel their mental capacity "slipping", and feel they have little control over their health & cognition. The one thing they can control, and that brings them comfort in troubled times, is what they eat. Easy for us to say that it isn't a challenge, and that they would probably feel better. Not so easy for them to wrap their heads around the idea.
My DH is devoted to his carbs (and his beer; he's German!). He is overweight, and has just had surgery for his fourth cancer. He doesn't have obvious cognitive issues, and appears proud of the progress I have made eating LC, but he doesn't want to hear that doing the same would maybe benefit him. For him it would be a huge challenge, and he has no desire to give it a try.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-19, 10:12

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
I agree, not challenging at all - for you, or for me.
It's a challenge for me. Less of a challenge than being hungry on a low-fat, low calorie diet (not to mention more effective and healthier in the long term, but that's another issue). I want to lose weight enough that I tackle the challenge every day. But it's still a challenge. And a big enough challenge that I've had trouble sticking to it over the years. The first time I lost weight on low-carb was nearly 20 years ago. Since then I've had stretches of low carb and stretches completely not--enough that I'm still heavier than the first time I started out.

I think it's easier than trying to starve yourself on a low-fat diet for the next few decades of life, but not easy. At all.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-19, 10:31

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

While I have been a supporter of DANDR since reading first copy back in 2001, staying low carb has been a real challenge.

I had to learn a lot of lessons along the wsy, like eating my salt.

Stringing more than two days on plan has been my hiccup. If three to four days OP, then low carb will continue, until a fateful day.

Reading labels was a skill taught in DANDR. Having a little black book of carb counts is a must until counts ingrained in the brain.

I wrestle with temptation when not fully in ketosis.But ...continue to strive for OP eating...

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Jul-12-19 at 11:46.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-19, 11:20

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Verbena - sorry to hear about your husband. I stand by my statement that my WOE is not challenging. Certainly, it was challenging when I first adapted to it, and I knew that going in, but with time, it became a normal part of my lifestyle. I would prefer that articles like the one referenced would be more accurate and specify when that challenge occurs and that it can be defeated. I've heard too many times from critics of low carb that it's very difficult or impossible to sustain long term. Based on my experience, I don't at all agree with that
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-19, 11:58

BF:

I typed out the DANDR rules and posted on my refridgerator.

Dr Westmans plan is just a couple pages, and will fit on a refridge door, too.

I could not stick with any diet more than two days of starving, but DANDR changed all that. The vlc and high fat was a game changer. That starving feeling was no longer the problem. Any issue now manageable.. .. I just dont quit trying.

Having this forum is important support.

I also kept DANDR at my side, like a Bible, reading and rereading. Why this diet is important to me and what hiccups to beware of.....and the solutions.....

Took active engagement.

So I understand the statement that this diet was a bit difficult, But that one statement negated all the benefits that will reward those that stick to the plan and relearn how to eat truely nutritious food.

Im watching The Paleo Way for support. Taubes, Wahls, etc. with easy recipes, and so much wisedom.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Jul-12-19 at 12:03.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-19, 13:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
I think it's easier than trying to starve yourself on a low-fat diet for the next few decades of life, but not easy. At all.

It gets easier and easier: at least, that is how it worked for me.

Sit someone down straight off the SAD, and tell them what they should not have, and they will feel like there is nothing to eat. I felt that way the first time I read DANDR.

But my view has flipped to that of abundance.

I can have all I want of food which is truly good for me, stuff I was deprived of: ribeye steak, blue cheese dressing, bacon, butter, seafood in avocado mayo, brisket, pork sausage and fresh mozzarella cheese.

It's decadent, I tells ya.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-19, 15:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Verbena - sorry to hear about your husband. I stand by my statement that my WOE is not challenging. Certainly, it was challenging when I first adapted to it, and I knew that going in, but with time, it became a normal part of my lifestyle. I would prefer that articles like the one referenced would be more accurate and specify when that challenge occurs and that it can be defeated. I've heard too many times from critics of low carb that it's very difficult or impossible to sustain long term. Based on my experience, I don't at all agree with that

Thank you, Rob. DH is recovering from his surgery, and doesn't need either radiation or chemo for this particular cancer, so he is doing as well as can be expected. I agree that this WOE was a challenge at the beginning, 6 1/2 years ago. I loved to bake and cook, and must take a certain amount of blame for feeding DH's sweet tooth. But once I got past that I find that I just don't "see" the foods that are not good for me. Yes, I'm sure that good bread is still good, but I don't eat grains now, so bread just isn't an issue. However, I don't have an addictive personality, and I can be quite stubborn, so, having decided that I don't eat "that" (whatever "that" might be) ... well ... I don't. And now I don't miss much of what I won't eat. I still like to cook and experiment in the kitchen, and, as WereBear says, all the things that I CAN and WILL eat are luscious, and delightful, and (in a former life) decadent, so why would I want to have anything else? Steak with Bearnaise sauce is perfect on it's own; bread would only be useful to get the last bits of sauce, and there are other ways to do that.
Actually, about the bread: after several years of not eating any I had the opportunity to have some from a really good local bakery. I allowed myself a couple of bites, and - truth be told - it wasn't really worth it. I'm sure the bread was just as good as before, but my tastes had changed. I took the rest home to feed to the chickens
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-19, 17:05

BF:

V, you might look into the enhanced effects of cancer treatment when keto diet is followed during phases of treatment. My mothers docs didnt know about this....yet others on this forum have used keto in conjuction.

A 2005 -2006 ish study showed marked improvement over chem alone. Try pubmed to find it.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-19, 10:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
V, you might look into the enhanced effects of cancer treatment when keto diet is followed during phases of treatment. My mothers docs didnt know about this....yet others on this forum have used keto in conjuction.

A 2005 -2006 ish study showed marked improvement over chem alone. Try pubmed to find it.

Thank you, Ms A. I have read quite a bit on the subject already, and continue to do so, but, as I mentioned, DH is reluctant (to say the least). I wasn't aware of the benefits of LC during the first 3 cancers, 12 years ago (though simple logic, and a foodie mind set, told me that the dietician couldn't have been right in all that she said then). He had to be on a low iodine diet for 6 weeks for thyroid cancer, which, IMO (as the cook) was a relatively easy diet to cook for and to follow. But the patient focused the whole time on what he couldn't have (no fish for example; he doesn't eat fish often, but it was off the menu, so of course it was a terrible hardship). He had had 3 cancers in 10 months at this point, so I felt he deserved to be unhappy about whatever he wanted, but it was frustrating for me.
This particular bout doesn't need, or respond to, chemo, so he is off the hook for that. He gets LC mostly at home, but I can't dictate what he eats or drinks when he is out, and he is one who checks out the dessert menu first in a restaurant