Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 06:41
Registered Member

Plan: SPI
Stats: 154/165/132 Female 168
BF:33%
Progress: -50%
Smile im new to all this and a little scared!

hi everyone,
well i should introduce myself. my name is stacey. im 23 years of age and from melbourne Australia. I am a student (almost through my 2nd semester of my clinical psych doctorate) and suffer from PCOS.
I dont want to bore anyone with my 'life story' but it i better tell you a bit aobut myself.
I was diagnosed with pcos when i was 20 because i had not had my period since i was 16. It was done due to elevated androgen levels (not very severe tho) and about 10 pounds overweight at the time and slight but not much facial hair on my upper lip and chin. Prior to this, i suffered anorexia for aobut 18months then fell into a self destructive pattern of bulimia, over-exercising and hard core dieting. I have tried most things, low-carb, high carb, and even whitled down to 98 pounds which is tiny for my 5;7 broad frame. Anyway, i thought id get into weight training and try to do something healthy for my body and mind and got pretty hard into it. I had made the decision to compete in a figure comp and that was a few months ago...i would be about 10week out right now. However, the 2.5 hours of training everyday, hard weight training, no carbs, too much caffeine, diet pills and no-doze that my trainer put me on just made me crash and burn but the time my exams came aorund and i couldnt sleep, think or remember anything. I was a compete mess. So about a month ago, i just colapsed into a heap and couldnt stop crying, i was totally exhausted, burnt out from all of the years of over-exercising, dieting and throwing up my food, and over-eating. I have been on holidays for the past few weeks and all i have done is slept. Im sleeping like 14 hours everyday and i feel like im in a coma.
i had picked up the schwarzbein book up a few years earlier, but wasnt interested because it wasnt a quick fix. Now i realise how much i have stuffed up my body, im so scared im going to die. Last week i went out a bought the SP transition and her latest the program and knew that its time i make a life long change to be healthy and not be concerned with my dress size.
So, i have booked into for blood tests tomorrow then off to see an endocrinologist in 2 weeks. I know that i am making the right decision, i just know that i need to learn patience.
From what ive read, im insulin resistant - ie: bc of pcos and the fact that my blood sugar level doesnt fluctuate after eating, but im unsure about the adrenals. Im ok now, and pretty much went cold turkey off the caffeine once i decided to not compete a few weeks ago (probably why i slept so much hehe) and just take in 2 green teas day. Im now off sweetner and enjoying eating complex carbs and not just carrot sticks and celery.
The only other piece of info is that i just want to sleep all the time. if i come home early from the hosptial after training (psych) i sleep for 2 hours straight...should i be doing this? is this normal? ugh...
and also, should i be exercising..i literally havent had the energy to get to the gym since i decided not to compete but now that i gained a few pounds i have the urge to pound it out every day...how much is too much..? can i walk 3 days a week or does this interfere with the healing time...so many questions...i hope this post is not to overwhelming.
anyway,
nice to meet you all.

stacey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 11:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260.5/246/199 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Stacey,

Welcome and congratulations on coming here.

This place has done a lot for me.

I'd forget about exercising for a little while, (until you have the energy.)

For breakfast I had
3 fried eggs, 6 pieces of bacon
for lunch I had
3 fried eggs, a piece of ham
+ 64 ounces of water
and some diet soda (with no caffeine)
for dinner, I'll probably have chicken.

You can do it!

You'll find this kind of eating will give you LOTS of energy!

I wish I ate like this while I was in college!

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 16:36
Registered Member

Default is this right?

thanks for the reply. i hope it helps me too. i havent exercised in a month but want to get back into body weight training exercises (just using a fitball) 3 times a week and walking for 30mins 3 times a week and a bit of yoga once or twice a week.
going on the fact that im pretty sure im insulin resistant, and please correct me if im wrong, i have to eat 15g of carbs each meal, 3 oz of protein each meal, some vegies and some fat. my snacks will be 2oz protein, 15g carbs, vegies and fats. im off gluten (because now i think i have a yeast problem..down there...hmmm...and off as many man made products as possible..
so for today i have prepared..
breakfast:
2 eggs (boiled),
1 1/4 cup of strawberries
1/4 cup of ricotta cheese (lower fat) on celery sticks

snack:
chick pea dip, made out of 1/3 cup of chick peas, 1/2 cup of ricotta (lower fat) a dash of olive oil and carrot and celery sticks

lunch:
prawn green salad with 1/3 cup brown rice, and olive oil

snack:
1 small potato
40g of mozorella cheese (lower fat)
dash of olive oil or butter
1 cup of grated carrot, tomato, cucumber

dinner:
chicken grilled
1 cup of mashed roast pumpkin
green vegies
flaxseed oil

and heaps of water and 1 green tea and a few herbal teas.

does this sound right?
stace
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 17:28
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default You're in the Right Place!

Welcome, Stacey!

Thanks for sharing the level of detail you did. It sounds like not only are you insulin resistant, but your description makes you sound like the "poster child" for burned-out adrenals!

Your meal planning sounds very good. And since you already have all of the other Schwarzbein books, you might enjoy the cookbook as well. Lots of good (and tasty) recipes.

The reason I mentioned burned-out adrenals is because of the abuse your body has undergone - driving and hammering it to try to achieve your goals - and the breakdown and your current need for sleep. You have placed an incredible amount of stress on your body, and it's telling you it must rest and recharge.

So, sleep all you can. I'm guessing that you'll find that after a few weeks (or even months), your need to sleep will decrease. In the meantime, you might consider cutting off exercise altogether. (It does sound suspiciously like you have become addicted to exercise....)

Eat well. Rest. Read all the Schwarzbein books, cover to cover. And remember that TSP is much more than just a Way of Eating (WOE) program - it's a WOL (Way of Life)!

Again, welcome. If there's any way we can help, let us know. And as far as being a bit worried about things..? "No worries, mate."

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. )

-Don
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 01:32
Registered Member

[QUOTE=BoomerGuy]Welcome, Stacey!

Thanks for sharing the level of detail you did. It sounds like not only are you insulin resistant, but your description makes you sound like the "poster child" for burned-out adrenals!

Your meal planning sounds very good. And since you already have all of the other Schwarzbein books, you might enjoy the cookbook as well. Lots of good (and tasty) recipes.

The reason I mentioned burned-out adrenals is because of the abuse your body has undergone - driving and hammering it to try to achieve your goals - and the breakdown and your current need for sleep. You have placed an incredible amount of stress on your body, and it's telling you it must rest and recharge.

So, sleep all you can. I'm guessing that you'll find that after a few weeks (or even months), your need to sleep will decrease. In the meantime, you might consider cutting off exercise altogether. (It does sound suspiciously like you have become addicted to exercise....)

Eat well. Rest. Read all the Schwarzbein books, cover to cover. And remember that TSP is much more than just a Way of Eating (WOE) program - it's a WOL (Way of Life)!

Again, welcome. If there's any way we can help, let us know. And as far as being a bit worried about things..? "No worries, mate."

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. )

thanks for the great reply Don, love the sense of humour...you must be aussie...hehe..
yeah, all i want to do is sleep all the time. I had class from 11-4 today and i was sooo tired i could barely keep my eyes open...and the headaches...oh god...the pain...im not on coffee anymore, just 1-2 green teas a day, but im soo tempted to go back to my old ways just to feel better.
i went to my gp this morning and said i wanted my adrenal glands tested and he goes huh...? how do i do that...and i was like god...you serious...you have studied for 8 years or so, i shouldnt have to tell you mate!
haha
so i asked for cortisol, fasting insulin, FSH, LH, Blood fats etc, free androgens and um...estrogen. I also asked for an iron level check and vitamin and blood cell stuff...i wont get most of the tests back till next week tho. waiting in anticipation...im so nervous....i hope im not insulin resistant or have burnt out adrenals but unfortunately i think i do...i do just want to cry about it all and am so tempted to just not worry about my body and just do what i want to do.
anyway...so, with my endocrinologist tell me if i have burnt out adrenals....? the problem is is that i only had the one test done, dont you normally need more than one done throughout the day...
and from the books, it said if you have burnt out adrenals, then they are going to read a low reading...is that correct?
its all so confusing...giving up gluten is a big ask i tell you. im so addicted to oatmeal!!! YUM
So, i have another food idea i can share with everyone that i used to make with oatmeal. I do it with a lactose free and gluten free protein powder.

1 scoop of protein powder (or enough to make up a 14g serve as a snack)
1/3 cup millet (i think this is the gluten free grain i bought 4 bfast)
1/2-1tbspn of almond paste
i usually dissolve the powder into a moderately think paste, add the millet and then the paste and roll into little truffle balls. i used to roll them in dessecated coconut, but i left this out while on TSP. Then put in the fridge to set for a fwe hours. tastes like chocolate rice bubbles with a dash of almond. yum...i hope this snack is schwarzbein approved. hehe
stace
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 22:24
Registered Member

Unhappy

well, i have my results back from pathology and OH MY GOD...i have no idea what they mean! Im meeting with my endocrinologist next week to discuss it...but i thought id ask to see if anyone has any ideas...
well, my eGRF was 88...this is the best test for kidney damage...a level between 80-90 means kidney damage (protein in the urine) and is stage 1 of kidney damage....YIKES...I nearly cried when I heard this...oh my god what have i done..
My Blood Glucose level was normal...5.0 where the range was 3.6-7.7. So, does this mean im not insulin resistant...?
My cortisol levels were extremely high at 1140 when the range was 138-690!!!
My white cell count and haemoglobin values were low.
Now heres the tricky stuff...
my FSH and LH were really now FSH = 0.19 and LH <0.5!!!!
Oestradiol was 77 and FAI (free androgen index) was 0.8 which was indicated as low...noe my SHBG levels were super high at 239 where normal levels were between 30-90!!!!
Oh my god what have i done and what does this mean!!!
stace
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 23:00
Registered Member

BF:
Default Don't Know What It Means Either, But...

...it's gonna be fine, Stacey.

Several years ago (before you were even born!) I had a case of hepatitis, and when it was over, the doctor said I had "permanent liver damage". That was just about the last thing in the world I wanted to hear at the ripe age of about 23!

But I'm still around, and doing just fine, thank you.

So even though some of your tests may be coming back with some excessive values, it likely doesn't mean bad stuff in the long run. (Besides, fretting over numbers you don't even fully understand just raises your anxiety level, which pushes your adrenal system. So chill, girl! )

When potentially scary things come into my life, I try to remember 2 important principles:
1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
2. In the perspective of your entire life, it's all small stuff!

Keep us posted, okay?

Blessings,

-Don
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-06, 00:21
Registered Member

Default a little confused...?

thanks for the encouragement don...I guess im still alive so things arnt too bad.
I was just reading over SPII and I dont think I am insulin resistant...because my fasting insulin levels were 5.0. and a high level indicating insulin resistance is over about 15 isnt it...? But the other thing is is that Im meant to have PCOS...so does that automatically make me insulin resistant..?
I certainly know i have bOA because I feel soooooo awful off the stimulants. Its my first official day with any as I have been tapering off them slowly and i have had a throbbing headache all day long and am sooo tired I just want to sleep...!!!
The other big thing is that all of my test results indicate I DONT have PCOS...All my major sex hormones are too low..eg., LH, FSH, estrodial and the free-androgen index. My sex-hormone-binding globin was too high and so was my cortisol.
The only thing I can think of based on the research is that ultra high levels of cortisol suppress many of the sex hormones..hmmm...
seriously cant wait till I see my endo on wed morning...hanging out to see what she has got to say.
stacey
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-06, 00:28
Registered Member

actually, i just had a look and my doctor did a blood glucose test...grrr...not a test that measures insulin...so should i get that done or can i rely on the blood glucose test...?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-06, 21:06
Registered Member

BF:
Default I'd Go for Both!

Hi Stacey,

Quote:
actually, i just had a look and my doctor did a blood glucose test...grrr...not a test that measures insulin...so should i get that done or can i rely on the blood glucose test...?

I think I'd go for both tests, because I think they'll show up different aspects. This isn't my area of expertise, but blood glucose shows how well your system is able to regulate your glucose level when it doesn't have to do much at all (fasting glucose level). The insulin level would show how much insulin your body is having to produce to maintain that glucose level at rest. I would assume that, if your glucose level is normal to high-normal, but your insulin level is elevated, it would indicate insulin resistance.

Anyway, I would opt for the second test, if there's still time.

Blessings,

-Don
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-06, 04:32
Registered Member

Hi all,
well i thought i would let you all know how im going and what my endocrinologist said to me in my first meeting with her.
She told me to disregard all the hormonal tests (ie: estrodial, test, cholesterol, FSH, LH) because im on the pill. We dicussed everything from my history of eating disorders, to the recent bodybuilding training, and the fact that I have not been able to get out of bed very much and everything is just falling apart.
We discussed my PCOS and she questions whether I have it at all. So she said she wants me off the pill, and to see what my own body is capable of doing and then when I have been off it for apporx 6months to get all most bloods done again and so we can actually see if I have it.The main reason she said this is because after a the eating disorder, i never regained my monthly cycle and so my dr put me straight on the pill. She said what was happening is that throughout the eating disorder my body has shut down (and hypothalamus and pituitary and how to actually signal all the right homrones and make a period). She said since they were switched off then and then I was put on the pill, which also shuts those systems down then my body/brain can't remember how to make a period or to function like a woman should. So, she said it may take a while before I get a period after my body has come off the pill, but to wait and see what happens. The thing is, I do have some slight PCOS symptoms, but she was more worried that this may be my cortisol and congenital hyperplasia or something along those adrenal lines....hmm....anyone know much about this...?
So, I had to do a 24hour cortisol test were I pee in a cup for 24hours and see what happens...hmmm....cant wait for the results to come back.

So, thats whats happening so far. Im actually back drinking caffeine, I simply just cannot give it up at this stage. Im soo stressed and working about 14hours most days and its really the only way I can stay awake. Im not really exercsing much either, a few walks, and yoga, but my energy is coming back.
I just feel sooooo lazy not doing much...and unfit and out of shape too....I really want to go back to my old ways of exercising and drinking caffeine, it made me feel so much better...AND I WAS LEAN!!! grr
The other thing is, im not going too well with the diet, i just cant eat complex carbs...i dont like it and cant understand why I cant live of fruit....? can someone please explain because im a little confused...I thought it was always about wating heaps of veggies and fruit and cutting out the complex carbs such as potato, rice, rice cakes etc...? very confused. any advice...? Because Im so in love with my fruit, natural yogurt and milk
stace
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-06, 10:38
Registered Member

BF:
Default You're Doing Better Than You Think

Hi Stacey,

Glad to hear you're pursuing solutions through your endocrinologist. As long as she "gets it", you can work with her and be ahead of just reading TSP books.

Quote:
So, thats whats happening so far. Im actually back drinking caffeine, I simply just cannot give it up at this stage. Im soo stressed and working about 14hours most days and its really the only way I can stay awake. Im not really exercsing much either, a few walks, and yoga, but my energy is coming back.

I think Dr. S would agree with your staying on caffeine, with the plan to taper off as you go along. What she would likely take issue with is your stress level. Are you working 14 hour days because you truly have to? What are your alternatives? In any case, it doesn't help to reinforce the fact that you're under stress - your mind hears it and just continues to keep you in stress. (Okay, I'm scolding you a bit. ) If you must work 14 hour days, find multiple times - 5 minutes, if that's all you can come up with - to simply get away and be calm. During that time, reinforce the fact that, with each day that goes by, you are becoming more in control of your reactions, and your level of well-being is increasing.

But also hear what you said: Your energy is coming back! The program is working! Now pour that energy back into creating good things in your life; don't allow it to fuel the "stress machine".

Quote:
I just feel sooooo lazy not doing much...and unfit and out of shape too....I really want to go back to my old ways of exercising and drinking caffeine, it made me feel so much better...AND I WAS LEAN!!! grr

Hard question, Stace: If you were feeling so great, why are you looking at TSP (or any program, for that matter) to change? You were feeling as good as you were because you were robbing your body's reserves. My guess is you "emptied your tank". That's how TSP can help you, by severly lowering the demand, and helping your body getting better at refilling the tank. Once that is well under way, you can begin to (reasonably) increase the demand.

Quote:
The other thing is, im not going too well with the diet, i just cant eat complex carbs...i dont like it and cant understand why I cant live of fruit....? can someone please explain because im a little confused...I thought it was always about wating heaps of veggies and fruit and cutting out the complex carbs such as potato, rice, rice cakes etc...? very confused. any advice...? Because Im so in love with my fruit, natural yogurt and milk

I'd suggest you re-read the TSP books for the best answer to that question. Sounds like you're about due for that, anyway. (By the way: rice cakes are not complex carbs - at least the puffy ones made here in the US. According to Barry Sears, author of The Zone, they are, in fact, one of the highest glycemic index foods on the planet!)

You're on the right track, Stace. Listen to your endocrinologist, and re-read The Books. And let us know the results of your cortisol test.

Blessings,

-Don
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-13-06, 02:50
Registered Member

Question

[QUOTE=BoomerGuy]Hi Stacey,

Glad to hear you're pursuing solutions through your endocrinologist. As long as she "gets it", you can work with her and be ahead of just reading TSP books.

I think Dr. S would agree with your staying on caffeine, with the plan to taper off as you go along. What she would likely take issue with is your stress level. Are you working 14 hour days because you truly have to?

Hi Don,
Thanks for really supportive email. I really appreciate it and need it right now.. Yeah im back down to 1 coffee/green tea a day and will keep at that probably for some time. With regards to my long days...yup theres not much that can be done about that im afraid. I have soooo much work to do every day.. I have placements at hosptials monday and tuesdays, classes wed and fridays, thursdays I tutor all day and sat usually placement...often form 2-11pm at night. and some how have to fit in writing my thesis, course work papers and presentations due nearly every week, and oh I forgot about sleep, let along exercise.
I am starting 2-3 pilates classes this week as my form of exercise and will maybe slot a few walks or yoga classes in there somewhere. I trying really hard to not stress and get down time but it soooooo hard because i just have so much do and really do feel like crying about it. The course is just a massive high stress job and the placements are even more stressful because you are working with severly acute mentally ill people...the day just never ends and only does when I decide im too exhausted to write anymore.

And yup, I re-read TSP both books actually and have the first one on hold for me. I do get everything she says. I guess it has been drummed into me for sooooo long that compex carbs are bad and to eat as much fruit and vegies as possible. So now my complex carbs are oatmeal (sometimes b/c of wheat intolerance) brown rice, potatoes, pumpkins, peas, lentils, corn, berries and organic yogurt. My proteins (because im off all meat) are ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, nuts, tuna, fish, eggs, and occasionally a dairy free lactose free and wheat free, sugar free protein powder and tofu. My fats are flaxseed oil, olive oil, nuts, avocado, and egg yolks etc.
And my non-startchy vegies are celery, carrot, beans, capsicums, salad mixes, broccoli, cauliflour, sprouts etc.
Is that right...?
I have made myself a few daily menus. Can you look over them and check they are ok.
I have documented a list of symptoms im suffering and want to fix now that im really trying to pick up my diet from today.

skin - few pimples esp that time of the month
energy - still fatigued, weak and dizzy when getting up from sitting down or when im in an small space, like the shower.
sleep - broken, up about 2 times a night and not enough sleep
exercise - none yet
stimulants - coffee, splenda and occasional refined sugar
BCP - off as of 2 weeks
conditions - PCOS ? maybe
stress management - poor, im a total stress head and thrive being stressed
headaches - regular
bowel movements - poor, not daily
weight - holding an extra 7kg eww

Based on my idea weight etc, my protein requirement is round 82g or between 9-11oz a day (I call them blocks)
my carbs are at 20g per meal..not sure if i should go 15 or not...should i?

So, im going to eat 3 blocks (21g) per main meal and 1 block (7g) per snack.
here is my plan for the next 2 days:

day 1:
B: 2 boiled eggs, 1 cup of cooked oatmeal with cinnamon, carrot + celery sticks with 1/4 cup ricotta cheese (lower fat)

S: 1oz of almonds + 2/3 cup strawberries

L: 1 small red potato with 3/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 avocado and shaved green vegies on top

S: 150g natural yogurt + 1/4 cup blueberries + sprinkle of nuts

D: 75g fresh water fish made into lemon grass soup using fresh ingredients and homemade vegie stock with 1/2 cup brown rice

day 2:
B: 2/3 cup oatmeal + 1/2 cup cottage cheese + 1 egg made into a pancake
vegie sticks

S: 1/4 cup ricotta cheese + 2 cups of strawberries

L: 50g tuna, 1/3 cup cottage cheese with homemade salsa made into a dip, vegie sticks + nuts and home made oven baked potato chips used as 'dippers'

S: 1 boiled egg mashed with 1/2 cup chick peas + homemade real mayo made into a dip. vegie sticks as dippers

D: 75g fish + 1 1/4 cup roast pumpkin with steamed green vegies with a flaxseed oil dressing.

Is that ok..? or are my measuring off the mark...?

ill let you know how I went on my insulin test and my cortisol...im getting really nervous but should know by wed at the latest...eeek

take care
stace
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-13-06, 02:52
Registered Member

Question

Hi Don,
Thanks for really supportive email. I really appreciate it and need it right now.. Yeah im back down to 1 coffee/green tea a day and will keep at that probably for some time. With regards to my long days...yup theres not much that can be done about that im afraid. I have soooo much work to do every day.. I have placements at hosptials monday and tuesdays, classes wed and fridays, thursdays I tutor all day and sat usually placement...often form 2-11pm at night. and some how have to fit in writing my thesis, course work papers and presentations due nearly every week, and oh I forgot about sleep, let along exercise.
I am starting 2-3 pilates classes this week as my form of exercise and will maybe slot a few walks or yoga classes in there somewhere. I trying really hard to not stress and get down time but it soooooo hard because i just have so much do and really do feel like crying about it. The course is just a massive high stress job and the placements are even more stressful because you are working with severly acute mentally ill people...the day just never ends and only does when I decide im too exhausted to write anymore.

And yup, I re-read TSP both books actually and have the first one on hold for me. I do get everything she says. I guess it has been drummed into me for sooooo long that compex carbs are bad and to eat as much fruit and vegies as possible. So now my complex carbs are oatmeal (sometimes b/c of wheat intolerance) brown rice, potatoes, pumpkins, peas, lentils, corn, berries and organic yogurt. My proteins (because im off all meat) are ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, nuts, tuna, fish, eggs, and occasionally a dairy free lactose free and wheat free, sugar free protein powder and tofu. My fats are flaxseed oil, olive oil, nuts, avocado, and egg yolks etc.
And my non-startchy vegies are celery, carrot, beans, capsicums, salad mixes, broccoli, cauliflour, sprouts etc.
Is that right...?
I have made myself a few daily menus. Can you look over them and check they are ok.
I have documented a list of symptoms im suffering and want to fix now that im really trying to pick up my diet from today.

skin - few pimples esp that time of the month
energy - still fatigued, weak and dizzy when getting up from sitting down or when im in an small space, like the shower.
sleep - broken, up about 2 times a night and not enough sleep
exercise - none yet
stimulants - coffee, splenda and occasional refined sugar
BCP - off as of 2 weeks
conditions - PCOS ? maybe
headaches - regular
bowel movements - poor, not daily
weight - holding an extra 7kg eww

Based on my idea weight etc, my protein requirement is round 82g or between 9-11oz a day (I call them blocks)
my carbs are at 20g per meal..not sure if i should go 15 or not...should i?

So, im going to eat 3 blocks (21g) per main meal and 1 block (7g) per snack.
here is my plan for the next 2 days:

day 1:
B: 2 boiled eggs, 1 cup of cooked oatmeal with cinnamon, carrot + celery sticks with 1/4 cup ricotta cheese (lower fat)

S: 1oz of almonds + 2/3 cup strawberries

L: 1 small red potato with 3/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 avocado and shaved green vegies on top

S: 150g natural yogurt + 1/4 cup blueberries + sprinkle of nuts

D: 75g fresh water fish made into lemon grass soup using fresh ingredients and homemade vegie stock with 1/2 cup brown rice

day 2:
B: 2/3 cup oatmeal + 1/2 cup cottage cheese + 1 egg made into a pancake
vegie sticks

S: 1/4 cup ricotta cheese + 2 cups of strawberries

L: 50g tuna, 1/3 cup cottage cheese with homemade salsa made into a dip, vegie sticks + nuts and home made oven baked potato chips used as 'dippers'

S: 1 boiled egg mashed with 1/2 cup chick peas + homemade real mayo made into a dip. vegie sticks as dippers

D: 75g fish + 1 1/4 cup roast pumpkin with steamed green vegies with a flaxseed oil dressing.

Is that ok..? or are my measuring off the mark...?

ill let you know how I went on my insulin test and my cortisol...im getting really nervous but should know by wed at the latest...eeek

take care
stace
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 18:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default Your Eating Plan

Hi Stace,

The eating plan/menus you created sound good to me. (True confession: It's my wife who really keeps track of the details when it comes to all of this stuff. I basically eat what she puts on my plate. So I'm not really "qualified" to give you a truly accurate response. ) Just looking it over, though, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. As to cutting back carbs to only 15 - I wouldn't do it. The energy level you must have to get through your day demands more carbs!

Okay, you've heard what I'm about to say before (and you'll likely hear me say it a lot). Stress-related diseases are the biggest killers of people on the planet, and they work their damage with equal vigor on male and female, and the old and the young. There are some "red flags" that pop up in what you're saying, and I want to make sure you hear them...

Quote:
With regards to my long days...yup theres not much that can be done about that im afraid. I have soooo much work to do every day.. I have placements at hosptials monday and tuesdays, classes wed and fridays, thursdays I tutor all day and sat usually placement...often form 2-11pm at night. and some how have to fit in writing my thesis, course work papers and presentations due nearly every week, and oh I forgot about sleep, let along exercise.

Stace, there's always something that can be done. Our bodies were only intended to endure short bursts of high stress (running away from preditors, etc.) - not continuous stress, day after day. Pushing the envelope to get through a week of tests is one thing; doing it as a career will make for a short career. If you'd like to live to enjoy your life, carve out little pieces of each day for yourself (I know, I know: It's impossible. Do it anyway) . If you can't do anything else, take a 3-minute bathroom break once an hour. Once you're in there, close your eyes and clear your mind. Chill!!

One of the reasons I suggested that you re-read the TSP books is to remind yourself that Dr. S suggests getting control over your stress only second to controlling the food you fuel your body with. She's well aware that stress not only takes us down, but that it's a real killer.

Quote:
I trying really hard to not stress and get down time but it soooooo hard because i just have so much do and really do feel like crying about it.

I hope you hear what you're saying here. Sounds to me like someone on the edge...

Quote:
The course is just a massive high stress job and the placements are even more stressful because you are working with severly acute mentally ill people...the day just never ends and only does when I decide im too exhausted to write anymore.

So stop writing sooner!

Okay, one more thing and the "lecture" is over: When we say we don't have control over our schedules, we're lying to ourselves. I could look you straight in the eye and tell you I was just too busy to exercise, or had zero time to give myself a break. But if a man suddenly jumped out of the closet and held a gun to my head, demanding me to find 30 minutes a day for stress relief or he'd blow my brains out.... I'd find the time. And the thing is, that's exactly what stress is - a bully that enables us to lie to ourselves, but has the power to kill.

Oh, yeah. There is one more thing:

Quote:

At the risk of offending you, No - you don't thrive on stress. You rob your body's reserves for the energy you need to perform at the level you think you need to be at. But you're not thriving at all - you're striving, and draining your body of its ability to fight the diseases that will be brought on by continuous stress.

Hope I haven't been too hard on you. I've "been there" and "done that" and whenever I see someone heading down the same (dead end) road, I can't keep still.

Blessings,

-Don