Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-14, 09:05

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default How fast is your mile?

I know it really doesn't matter per se, but I'm just curious because I was looking at how fast "some" walk a mile and I was a bit surprised. It was saying walking a mile at my age and time I'm well in the poor range, I'm in the poor range for a 70 year old I think! I know it's a chart, but still I was curious. When I started I was around 18 minutes or better. Now I'm averaging 17:30'ish, so I've improved it some in just a couple of weeks. I feel like I'm walking at a good pace. I'm short too! Does that matter!? Ha! I know it really doesn't matter, I'm just curious what other people are doing!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-14, 13:56
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

A year ago I probably couldn't walk a mile, so when I started walking this last June I didn't fret about being the slowest guy on the track (about 22 to 25 minutes per mile). I was just happy to be able to do it.

By late August, I'd gotten my pace and distance up and my mile time down to about 20 minutes each on a 2 or 3 mile walk. My 21 year old daughter was zipping around the track doing 16 minute miles, passing me every couple of laps. Plenty of walkers and joggers use the facility where we go. The only people faster than my daughter were the joggers. A 16 minute mile is a nice clip for walking.

A month ago, I got a new smartphone that has a fitness app and heart rate monitor. It is pretty cool and I use it. What I found is that when I push my pace to a little faster than I want to go, I can get into a low cardio zone for my age (130 to 140 BPM). Right now, that pace is about 19.25 minutes per mile. For my size, age, and condition -- I'm quite happy with where I'm at.

So as far as I'm concerned, you are cruising pretty good at your current pace. Do you feel like you are "working" at that pace? I find I always have to be mindful of what I'm doing or I'll end up backing off and start walking too casually. When it is over, I always feel better if I did a good job pushing the pace and getting my blood pumping. The fatty tissues in my body that have been starved from poor circulation probably appreciated it, too. I've been told that exercise helps reduce insulin resistance -- and it certainly makes me feel better. I can't wait for my next A1C. I'm pretty sure the results will be good -- but I'd like to see it in black and white.

I'm glad to see you've started a workout routine. After the hard part of getting started, I've really grown to enjoy getting my rear in gear. I hope you find it enjoyable, too.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, Oct-17-14 at 14:06.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-14, 15:18
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 198/136/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 107%

I guess it depends how you track it - for myself, I walk a slower pace for 10 minutes as warm up, 20 minutes at a fast pace and another 10 minutes slowing down for cool down. So if I were tracking, would I include warm up and cool down time?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-14, 15:30

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I haven't actually monitored my heatrate, etc, other than one time just to be able to say, yeah, it's elevated. Ha. I do feel like I'm getting something from it. My legs are the thing that get tired quicker than anything, I don't typically get winded which has made me think I'm not pushing myself enougj, but Im moving my legs as fast as they can! Ha!

And no, no warm up/cool down in that. I will typically do some aort of warm up before I start, few jumping jacks, jump rope, etc. Now I may start off a little slower to begin with and have a pace of closer to 18:00/ mile and get down to the 17:30. Like today I walked 2 miles in 35 mins and some odd seconds, so averaging 17:xx min miles.

Thanks for the feedback!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 07:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you want to walk faster, move to a big city: http://www.radiolab.org/story/91732-cities/ (worth listening to)

;-)
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-14, 08:37

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I started running recently. Before training to run a 5k, I walked 3 miles per day for 10 days in a row. I was walking just shy of 20 minutes per mile. Almost an hour to walk the 3 miles.

I started training for a 5k on August 18 and ran my first 5k on October 4. The last time I timed myself on a mile walk, I did it in 17 1/2 minutes.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-14, 13:08

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Yes, being short matters. At least having short legs does--it really makes a difference in the time/distance.

I've got short legs relative to height, and even when I'm chugging along at a good pace (judging by the beats-per-minute on my music tape) everybody on the path is passing me up like I'm standing still. Very annoying!

I do try changing up the length of stride from time to time.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-14, 13:54

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
If you want to walk faster, move to a big city: http://www.radiolab.org/story/91732-cities/ (worth listening to)

;-)

That's for sure. I walk at a terrific clip around here, slaloming around the tourists. Why do New Yorkers walk so fast? Judy might have ideas about that too, but I think it's because we cram an awful lot (probably too much) into each day and it's usually quicker to walk than get stuck in traffic jams. There's a lot to do here so we're always busy. We have to negotiate the crowded sidewalks to get to the subway, to get to work on time, to attend business meetings, business lunches, drinks with friends after work, to get to theatres, movies, or events on time. We use our lunch breaks to cram in hair appointments, doctor's appointments, to return books to the library, for grocery and clothes shopping, or just to get to our favorite deli for a takeout lunch. Strolling around smelling the roses just isn't going to get all that done.

Interestingly, walking fast becomes a habit because even on weekends when I literally could stroll through the park and smell the roses I still walk fast. I find myself getting irritated by slowcoaches getting in my way on the sidewalk on a free Sunday afternoon and have to remind myself that it's okay, I don't have to be anywhere at a particular time.