Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-20, 14:28

Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
My autoimmune condition improved so dramatically on a diet of grass-fed beef I no longer care what the red-meat-phobic have to say...

Ditto, and that's the thing about Aseem, he speaks strongly, but tends to straddle the limits of what is publicly accepted when recommending a diet. There is no research (RCTs) showing direct correlation of red meat to metabolic health issues, but when the WHO comes out and gives a warning based on epidemiological guesses and claims, people start to get in line. I like many of the things he recommends, but I don't like it when certain foods are recommended to be limited based on no clear research or direct root cause. Maybe he'll sell a few more books this way, maybe not, and maybe he truly believes in his recommendations. Don't have any interest in his book. Think his stance has some value to many. Nothing is either black or white. We live in a world of grays or greys.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-20, 09:28
To Good Health!

Plan: LC/DrWestman/P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/175/168 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/30%/25%
Progress: 88%

Call me a Sugar Conspiracist, but the word sugar leaps out me from a section in the NYT.

Quote:
A portrait of the coronavirus

The first pictures of the coronavirus, taken just seven months ago, resembled barely discernible smudges. But scientists have since captured the virus and its structures in intimate, atomic detail, offering crucial insights into how it functions. (The Coronavirus Unveiled. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...s-unveiled.html)

Less than a millionth of an inch wide, the virus is studded with proteins called spikes that attach to cells in people’s airways, allowing the virus to infiltrate. But under an electron microscope, the proteins look more like tulips than spikes, consisting of long stems topped with what looks like a three-part flower. These spikes also swivel on a three-way hinge, which may increase their odds of encountering and attaching to proteins on human cells.

As the spikes sweep around, they can also be attacked by antibodies. But they are protected by shields made of sugar. Sugar molecules, in navy below, swirl around the proteins and hide them from antibodies.

The coronavirus genome consists of 30,000 letters that hold the information for making its proteins. The genes are arrayed on a molecular strand called RNA.

After the virus enters a human cell, our ribosomes — the tiny cellular factories that pump out proteins — attach to its RNA strands and glide down them like a roller coaster car running along a track. As the ribosomes pass over the genetic letters, they build proteins with corresponding structures.

In just a few hours, an infected cell can make thousands of new virus genomes. Ribosomes read the genes and create more viral proteins, which then combine with the new genomes to make more viruses.

Already, the new pictures of SARS-CoV-2 have become essential for the fight to end the pandemic. Vaccine developers study the virus’s structure to ensure that the antibodies made by vaccines grip tightly to the virus. Drug developers are concocting molecules that disrupt the virus by slipping into nooks and crannies of proteins and jamming their machinery.

But while the past few months have delivered a flood of data about the virus, some studies have made it clear that it will take years to fully make sense of SARS-CoV-2.

But wait!..go back to that part about Sugar hiding the virus from antibodies. Seems this might be important for vaccine efficacy, differences in recovery, etc. However, it is a long complicated article with some amazing photos but that sugar shield idea is not elaborated upon.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Oct-10-20 at 09:33.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-20, 10:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Call me a Sugar Conspiracist, but the word sugar leaps out me from a section in the NYT.

But wait!..go back to that part about Sugar hiding the virus from antibodies. Seems this might be important for vaccine efficacy, differences in recovery, etc. However, it is a long complicated article with some amazing photos but that sugar shield idea is not elaborated upon.

Funny that it always seems like sugar is involved when metabolic health is at risk. Given that many understand sugar to be represented in diet by sucrose and fructose, the process of raising blood glucose by carb consumption outside of sugars is often overlooked and not clearly understood by many. So, to many, I can eat a pizza and refuse dessert thinking I've eliminated unhealthy sugars? And, what possibly important role does sugar play in virus replication? Lots to unravel here. At least the conversation has started.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-20, 12:37

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

I read that article too, and thought it was really significant that sugar shields the virus from antibodies.

There was an article brought up on here a while back saying that diabetics whose blood sugar is "well controlled" do better against covid. (Can't find the thread now - maybe someone else can find it and post a link?) Of course their idea of "well controlled" blood sugar was no higher than 170 or 180 (fasting? I think ... sure wish I could find that article), which is of course still way higher than normal, but not wildly out of control, like blood sugar of 450 would be.

But anyhow, this finding about sugar protecting the virus from antibodies might go at least some way towards explaining why those with metabolic syndrome or diabetes are more likely to have a bad outcome from the virus.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-20, 22:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/230/200 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Ditto, and that's the thing about Aseem, he speaks strongly, but tends to straddle the limits of what is publicly accepted when recommending a diet. There is no research (RCTs) showing direct correlation of red meat to metabolic health issues, but when the WHO comes out and gives a warning based on epidemiological guesses and claims, people start to get in line. I like many of the things he recommends, but I don't like it when certain foods are recommended to be limited based on no clear research or direct root cause. Maybe he'll sell a few more books this way, maybe not, and maybe he truly believes in his recommendations. Don't have any interest in his book. Think his stance has some value to many. Nothing is either black or white. We live in a world of grays or greys.

Most of us this board deeply understand the connection between food choices and health, such that I ,too, dont see his book adding to my u derstanding. However, if his book can get a few more people on board with learning to eat for better health, his book is worth publishing and worth the average SAD eater reading it cover to cover.

Hopefully more than a few will continue the journey and read the next books , or seriously start digging into what makes for better health.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-20, 08:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111

Pretty much what I stated, see text in bold. I stand by my comments. Glad that Aseem is active and outspoken on an important topic. I certainly don't need a book on what today is popularly called The Mediterranean Diet.