Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 07:49

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 170/144/135 Female 165cm
BF:no idea
Progress: 74%
Default Soy Flour

I bought some wholemeal (wholewheat) pita breads and have just realised that they have soy flour listed as an ingredient. It's not a main ingredient 5th in the list of ingredients. So the list reads: wholemeal flour, water, yeast, vinegar, soy flour.
Ingredients here are listed by weight and so I figure that they can't contain much soy flour anyway. After all, there's less soy flour than there is yeast or vinegar and how much of those would you expect.

Are they allowed? Can I eat them?

I haven't had any yet.

I'm 2 weeks into phase 2 and so have added one grain so far.

2/3
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 07:55
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Yes, that would be allowed. If you have no issue with eating them, thats great!!

Many people, like myself, have issues with eating flour in general. I waited until I was close to my goal before I ate any flour at all. Thats why I said "if you have no issues". Even now, when I eat grain, its mostly in its whole and unprocessed form.

Enjoy!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 08:08

I'll try them and will find out if I do have any 'issues'.
So far I've had rye and have had no issues with that.

2/3
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 07:44
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

I have found that having one of them occasionally, like maybe twice a week (that and the Food Dr Bagels) does me no harm. It certainly doesn't put the weight on, lets put it that way, but just watch to make sure that you don't get cravings as a result of eating the flour
Hi from a fellow UKer too
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgluvs
I have found that having one of them occasionally, like maybe twice a week (that and the Food Dr Bagels) does me no harm. It certainly doesn't put the weight on, lets put it that way, but just watch to make sure that you don't get cravings as a result of eating the flour
Hi from a fellow UKer too

I had a look at the food dr bagels in the supermarket this morning. They only had one type (seed and bran or summat) and they had wheat flour listed as the main ingredient - NOT wholemeal wheat flour; just wheat flour.

I didn't buy them.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Yes, that would be allowed. If you have no issue with eating them, thats great!!

Many people, like myself, have issues with eating flour in general. I waited until I was close to my goal before I ate any flour at all. Thats why I said "if you have no issues". Even now, when I eat grain, its mostly in its whole and unprocessed form.

Enjoy!

So how did you add your grains without adding flour?

2/3
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 10:28
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2of3
So how did you add your grains without adding flour?

2/3

By eating the whole grain...not in its processed form called flour. ie: steel cut or old fashioned oat meal, whole barley, quinoa. I saved adding flour in until I was very close to my goal weight. To me, its a process of going from grains in their most whole form at first to moving towards processed grains much later.

I avoid wheat as it triggers my appetite and is highly addictive.
I'm learning that amaranth and buckwheat are better forms of grain and I'm going to see what my local health food store carries in these grains.

Make sense?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 10:53
Attitude is a Choice

I just figured out that you are 5'6" tall? I had to do the conversion from cm.....you are very close to your goal/ideal weight for your height. Your weight loss will be very slow and this is to be expected.

Is this what you are finding? Have you been weighng or measuring?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 11:10

Quote:
By eating the whole grain...not in its processed form called flour. ie: steel cut or old fashioned oat meal, whole barley, quinoa. I saved adding flour in until I was very close to my goal weight. To me, its a process of going from grains in their most whole form at first to moving towards processed grains much later.

I avoid wheat as it triggers my appetite and is highly addictive.
I'm learning that amaranth and buckwheat are better forms of grain and I'm going to see what my local health food store carries in these grains.

Make sense?

If it was still winter then I wouldn't mind the oatmeal option. For me oatmeal (much like soups, stews and curries) is a winter thing. I've got some steel cut (pinhead here in the UK) ones that I got from my local hippy-food shop.

Would cold cereals be as good.

2/3
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 11:14

Quote:
I just figured out that you are 5'6" tall? I had to do the conversion from cm.....you are very close to your goal/ideal weight for your height. Your weight loss will be very slow and this is to be expected.

Is this what you are finding? Have you been weighng or measuring?

You think 146lbs is close to my goal weight?!
2/3
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 14:35
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
If it was still winter then I wouldn't mind the oatmeal option. For me oatmeal (much like soups, stews and curries) is a winter thing. I've got some steel cut (pinhead here in the UK) ones that I got from my local hippy-food shop.

Would cold cereals be as good.

2/3

Generally, cold cereals are made with processed grains.....if you find one that uses the whole grain without adding any sugar, thats a good one. I mean sugar in any form ie: honey, high fructose corn syrup, etc.

Another good whole grain is brown rice!!

When you say "hippy" food shop, does that mean a health food store?
I'm from the "hippy" generation!!

Yes, I think that you are close to your ideal weight for your height. Depending on your frame size, that could be any where from 120-140.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 17:59

Quote:
Generally, cold cereals are made with processed grains.....if you find one that uses the whole grain without adding any sugar, thats a good one. I mean sugar in any form ie: honey, high fructose corn syrup, etc.

Another good whole grain is brown rice!!

When you say "hippy" food shop, does that mean a health food store?
I'm from the "hippy" generation!!

Yes, I think that you are close to your ideal weight for your height. Depending on your frame size, that could be any where from 120-140.

When I say 'hippy' food shop I mean a sorta 'wholefoods' shop. They sell organic and vegetarian/vegan stuff - where I usually buy my soy milk, soy yoghurt, pulses and other things like the pinhead oats I mentioned. They also sell grains and cereals and nuts and seeds that you can weigh out.

I did have a look at the cold cereals in the supermarket tonight and there are some with whole grains (organic ones) and no added sugar or salt or honey but they had a bit too much fruit in them.

Brown rice sounds good. I didn't think of rice as a grain.

2/3
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 18:34
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
When I say 'hippy' food shop I mean a sorta 'wholefoods' shop. They sell organic and vegetarian/vegan stuff - where I usually buy my soy milk, soy yoghurt, pulses and other things like the pinhead oats I mentioned. They also sell grains and cereals and nuts and seeds that you can weigh out.

I did have a look at the cold cereals in the supermarket tonight and there are some with whole grains (organic ones) and no added sugar or salt or honey but they had a bit too much fruit in them.

Brown rice sounds good. I didn't think of rice as a grain.

2/3

Have you reviewed our food lists? Brown rice is right there amongst the starches.

Also, our meal plan guide does not say grain...it says starch and that can be a starchy veggie...it does not have to be grain. IME, grain is for later on....I suggest that you start out with starchy veggies and then move into grains later.

Starchy veggies can include:
carrots
parsnips
turnips
sweet potato
rutabaga
any winter squash ie butternut squash

see the phase II food lists.

To me, a phase II starter can be a fruit and a serving of carrots.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 02:21

Quote:
Have you reviewed our food lists? Brown rice is right there amongst the starches.

Also, our meal plan guide does not say grain...it says starch and that can be a starchy veggie...it does not have to be grain. IME, grain is for later on....I suggest that you start out with starchy veggies and then move into grains later.

Starchy veggies can include:
carrots
parsnips
turnips
sweet potato
rutabaga
any winter squash ie butternut squash

see the phase II food lists.

To me, a phase II starter can be a fruit and a serving of carrots.

I have looked at that list a few times but it doen't stick in my head. I have to keep looking at it. I'm not much of a reader and tend to only see the things I'm looking for at the time.

I think starchy vegetables are going to be a bit hard to come by this time of year. They're not really in season now (might have to try the supermarket)- with the exception of rutabaga (which is what I think we call swede).

I'm happy with the grain I've added but will definitely be looking to adding sweet potato or something like that for my second starch when that is due.

2/3