Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-21, 20:29

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
If I don't freeze it, how long will it keep in frig? can I freeze tupperware? i'm using a soup pot; i don't have a slowcooker.

Broth will keep for several days in the fridge. You can keep it unfrozen for longer if you bring it to a boil for about 10 minutes every couple of days. So far as I know you can freeze in Tupperware. I was always too cheap to buy T’ware, but I froze broth & soups in old yogurt containers for years. I am trying to move away from plastic now, and use canning jars instead, because I have a lot of them. The only thing to be aware of with glass is not filling them too far, so that the liquid can expand without breaking the glass.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-21, 08:24

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I store mine in a 64 oz Ball jar and it keeps for more than a month in the fridge.

#33   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-21, 18:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

To be honest, I've never had broth - even solidly gelled bone broth - last more than a week in the fridge before it spoils. Even storing in sterilized glass and pushing to the back where it's coldest.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?? Sigh.

I concur with Verbena's recommendation when freezing to leave a space at the top of glass jars but also Tupperware (or Rubbermaid or whatever brand ). The broth will expand and bulge upward as it freezes, possibly pushing the lid off. Just ask me how I know this . Ooops .

Wishing you all the best, JustAGirl . Keep us posted how things turned out!

Doreen
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-21, 19:14

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thanks guys. <3. I borrowed a crockpot and am trying again. The soup pot method yielded a lot of broth; didn't seem like i simmered it long enough though so i'm trying 24 hours in crockpot.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-21, 22:13

BF:

Mine isn't forming anything on the top. Maybe I'm not using enough bones?
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-21, 01:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Justa. Do you mean the foamy stuff that is recommended to be skimmed off, or a layer of fat after you strain it and put it in the fridge?
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-21, 09:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It is so sexy to call it "bone broth". Back in the day we called it "stock" or "broth". It was assumed you used bones to make it. Chicken stock, beef stock, etc. But now, if you call it bone broth you can charge double. :-)

I always liked poaching whole chickens for chicken salad. Then you have a delicious stock, or broth, left over. Rip the chicken off the bones and let it boil again and it gets even better.

https://thetakeout.com/poaching-pro...cken-1837682227

As far as the foam is concerned, only skim it off if you don't like the looks of it. It doesn't affect the taste. Taste it yourself, just tastes like chicken.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-21, 22:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi Justa. Do you mean the foamy stuff that is recommended to be skimmed off, or a layer of fat after you strain it and put it in the fridge?

I didn't get foam or a layer of fat.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-21, 23:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

I always liked poaching whole chickens for chicken salad. Then you have a delicious stock, or broth, left over. Rip the chicken off the bones and let it boil again and it gets even better.

Thanks Nancy. I only need/want enough for one person. Would a couple chicken legs work?
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-21, 04:05
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
I didn't get foam or a layer of fat.
Were the bones pretty clean of fat and protein? How did it taste, just a bit bland? Mine turns out like that sometimes. It's fine, it's just more watered down.

Legs are a great idea because there's almost always big chunks of fat on the ends. The fat gives it awesome flavour.

For the effort, I prefer to do bigger batches and freeze most of it. I did this even when I was single. I use Ziploc containers, but I cool it in the fridge before batching it up into the containers. Nothing wrong with just doing a couple of legs, though.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-21, 21:43

BF:

Thanks Kristine!
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-21, 02:54

BF:

How much bone broth should I be eating to feel joint pain relief? I've been doing over 1c per day so far.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-21, 17:42
Forum Moderator

BF:

I'm not sure broth alone will provide pain relief. It provides the building blocks for healthy joints, yes. But if something else is damaging the joints and/or causing inflammation, that probably has to be removed for pain relief.

When I was fed up of months of pain from tendinitis, I snuck in powdered gelatin and collagen wherever I could, and I also eliminated potentially inflammatory foods - no grains or seed oils when I was previously pretty casual about that.

For me, gluten is a no-no for my joints. I've had signs of arthritis in my fingers that flare up any time I gluten myself. I can get away with rice here and there, but that's a rare treat, not a staple.

HTH!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-21, 12:33

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I have been drinking 1 C tart cherry juice after my gout attack on my feet and have had no pain since
Will it help you
I have no idea
but is it worth a try?
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-21, 15:15

BF:

Thanks guys.
I'm considering adding collagen powder to my regimen. Do you think it's any better than bone broth? Do you think its worth it or just do more bone broth?