Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-14, 10:29

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Soylent (Green)

Have you heard of this product - Soylent? It is supposed to be all the nutrition you need, so you don't have to eat food. When I was a teenager, I pretty much starved myself thin, and dreamed of the day that I would never have to eat food again.

So this caught my attention when my husband read a news article about it this morning. So I had to look it up!

It has 84 carbs per serving (net 75), so it won't be something I will be buying, but if I did, I would probably add green food colouring, just so I could say I was drinking "Soylent Green" {movie reference!}

"Soylent comes in a dry powder form along with an oil blend. You mix both of these with water for each serving. It requires no heating or other cooking and has an extended shelf life."
http://soylent.me/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-14, 10:47

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Soylent Green is PEOPLE!

I wouldn't trust the advertising hype.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-14, 10:53

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

It sounds disgusting. It contains canola oil and soy, neither of which should be consumed IMO.
Personally I enjoy my food - buying it, preparing it, eating it. I enjoy the ritual of sitting down with family and/or friends at a nicely laid table, and laughing, talking, bonding with them over good food - not too much, and low carb of course. I can't see that ever happening with a tall glass of *yummy* carb-rich soy/canola/maltodextrin shake.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-14, 10:54
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Sounds like something I would stock in my doomsday bunker (if I had one). It does not sound like anything I'd want to eat above ground.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-22-14, 11:07

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'd as soon eat rat chow, if most rat chow didn't contain wheat.

It's nonsense anyways. There's nothing new about meal replacement shakes.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-22-14, 19:46

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I truly can not believe they're calling it Soylent.

No. I don't want to try this (even the gross association aside). I want to learn to eat like a normal person again. To eat until I'm satisfied, not fork it away because I'm starving myself in between or because it's so processed that it makes me feel as if I'm starving within an hour. To just eat a meal...feel satisfied...eat an other meal...feel satisfied again. And be healthy.

I do NOT want to teach myself just not to eat. Yes, you're right. In some ways, that would be easier. But eating is actually a joy...or should be. Nobody should live to eat, but it is built to be a satisfying, happy experience. That's the experience I want - not a pill or a wafer.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-23-14, 06:34
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

400g carbohydrate and 40g fiber from soy and maltodextrin sounds like a recipe for Terminal Flatulence.

#8   ^
Old Fri, May-23-14, 08:33

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Hillarious Doreen!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-24-14, 09:00

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
400g carbohydrate and 40g fiber from soy and maltodextrin sounds like a recipe for Terminal Flatulence

I was reading thru their forum, and that actually seems to be a common problem with this product!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 18:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Was reading a thread in our Research Forum .. Non-chewy food can lead to poor health? ... made me think of this topic .
It seems that drinking all of our nutrition instead of chewing it will lead to poor health outcome.

Makes me wonder about people who must, for surgical reasons, consume only liquids, or who rely on tube feedings or intravenous nutrition. Obviously, those folks would already be in a negative health situation. The above-linked study seems to suggest that persons in good health could possibly ruin their health by consuming liquidized foods only for long-term.

IMO, the Soylent drink thing is terrible due to the high carbs, and reliance on soy protein. And now this evidence that an all-liquid diet can possibly ruin health

That beind said, it's probably okay to have liquidized food from time to time, unless otherwise necessary. I drink protein shakes (whey isolate) and puréed vegetable soups now and then, but only for one meal a day. The rest is solid, chewable LC foods.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 19:12
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Eh, I don't think so. It seems like our bodies are designed to deal with 'roughage'--to work for the nutrients that it needs. Bad bad bad choice for a name too. O_O