Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-17, 07:54

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Too much sugar? Even 'healthy people' are at risk of developing heart disease

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...71004202008.htm

Quote:
Healthy people who consume high levels of sugar are at an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease.

A ground-breaking study from the University of Surrey found that a subject group of otherwise healthy men had increased levels of fat in their blood and fat stored in their livers after they had consumed a high sugar diet.

The study, which has been published in Clinical Science, looked at two groups of men with either high or low levels of liver fat, and fed them a high or low sugar diet to find out if the amount of liver fat influences the impact of sugar on their cardiovascular health. The low sugar diet contained no more than 140 calories a day worth of sugar -- an amount close to the recommended intake -- while the high sugar diet contained 650 calories worth.

After 12 weeks on the high sugar diet, the men with a high level of liver fat -- a condition known as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) -- showed changes in their fat metabolism that are associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, heart attacks and strokes.

Fat metabolism is the biochemical process by which fats are transported and broken down in the blood, and used by the cells of the body.

The results also revealed that when the group of healthy men with a low level of liver fat consumed a high amount of sugar, their liver fat increased and their fat metabolism became similar to that of the men with NAFLD.

Professor of Nutritional Metabolism, Bruce Griffin, said: "Our findings provide new evidence that consuming high amounts of sugar can alter your fat metabolism in ways that could increase your risk of cardiovascular disease.

"While most adults don't consume the high levels of sugar we used in this study, some children and teenagers may reach these levels of sugar intake by over-consuming fizzy drinks and sweets. This raises concern for the future health of the younger population, especially in view of the alarmingly high prevalence of NAFLD in children and teenagers, and exponential rise of fatal liver disease in adults."

Surprising this story didn't show up here sooner. Maybe because it's a bit of a dog-bites-man story for most of us by this point?

http://www.clinsci.org/content/131/21/2561.long

Full text.

Sugar studies get criticized sometimes for using "unrealistic" amounts of sugar. 650 calories here...

http://grist.org/industrial-agricul...of-fats-sugars/

This link gives 459 calories as average for the American diet, it's from 2011. And that's not including people fattening their livers with smoothies and juicing,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-17, 11:43
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Why don't they just say what they mean...

Quote:
Healthy Normal size people who consume high levels of sugar are at an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease

If they are 'healthy' then why are they at risk of CVD? So it really is possible, but still unthinkable, that a lean person might be unhealthy. If that is the case, then maybe we do need to look a little closer at diet and other factors. Sugar is a good place to start.

Last edited by khrussva : Mon, Oct-23-17 at 12:16.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-17, 11:55

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Why don't they just say what they mean...

If they are 'healthy' then why are they at risk of CVD. So it really is possible, but still unthinkable, that a lean person might be unhealthy. If that is the case, then maybe we do need to look a little closer at diet and other factors. Sugar is a good place to start.

Good catch Ken I skipped right over that!

It's funny that it would be accepted that if people are skinny that they are more healthy. I've noticed something about that syndrome that I call "skinny fat" and in fact had a conversation with my GS.
The lean body with a pooch cereal belly...
Not criticizing him but explaining that he should eat more more protein to build muscle and less cereal, Raman noodles or hot pockets. I actually got his Mom to keep some Adkins frozen dinners in the freezer which is better than the carbs...He loves the Beef Merlot which has broccoli in it too!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Mon, Oct-23-17 at 12:03.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-17, 12:37
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Upon rereading the post, they really did mean "healthy" in that statement. It is implied that the subjects in this study started with healthy markers and they took a turn for the worse on a high sugar diet. I guess I'm just a little sensitive to obesity being considered the cause and not a symptom. This study did not do that. I was the one interpreting the word "healthy" for "lean". Shame on me.

Meme - About your GS... Good for you. Get 'em while they are young and not set in their ways. I know that how I eat has had a positive effect on my kids. They think about sugar and starch in their diet. They don't see fat as the villain. My wife, on the other hand, is still a raving sugar addict. Though never obese, she can't live without her sweets.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-17, 13:09

BF:

Ken I'm trying to at least be a good low carb influence on them and see if any of it rubs off on them..

Speaking of raving sugar addicts, I had a real wake up call a while back at some friend's house. They had just gotten home from church and she was cooking some eggs with spray oil in a pan on the stove. I thought good old eggs. Then she popped a piece of bread into the toaster. I thought,,, OK not low carb....
We continued talking as she cooked and we had already eaten.
Then she put the toast on the plate and added the eggs on top. It was then that I began to be horrified...LOL She took the bottled syrup and must have poured a 1/4 of a cup all over everything

and no they're not well. Her with lymph cancer a couple of years ago and he with some kind of pancreatic problem bad enough to be hospitalized for quote a while...They're in their fifties like us.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 09:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Now that I eat mostly fat and protein I am staggered by how little of either most people eat.

Now I am tell the "peckish" feeling of not eating enough protein; I don't need huge amounts, but I need what I need! Probably getting over being so sick and need it for repair?

Whatever it is, I welcome understanding my body's feedback and no longer being afraid to give it what it is really asking for.

Once you start mentally looking at what people eat and taking the carbs out... what is left?

Also, at least in my case, I cannot get protein from vegetable sources. I get an upset stomach from beans, grains are out, etc.

And my gosh, have you seen what vegans eat? Grains and sugar. It's insane.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 11:39

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I probably eat low protein compared to most low carbers. Still befuddled when I see frozen dinners that boast about containing 16 grams of protein. 350 calorie meatloaf and potato dinner, 16 grams of protein. Just 350 calories of potato would have 9 grams of protein, that "meat"loaf obviously isn't pulling its weight.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 14:00

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I don't eat grains, legumes or dairy proteins, so when I ask for a lunch that fits those parameters for monthly board meetings at different sites, sometimes all I get is lettuce or some broccoli. Luckily I always have a can of sardines or jerky and some nuts on me to get the protein and fat I need to function during all-day meetings.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 12:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I probably eat low protein compared to most low carbers. Still befuddled when I see frozen dinners that boast about containing 16 grams of protein. 350 calorie meatloaf and potato dinner, 16 grams of protein. Just 350 calories of potato would have 9 grams of protein, that "meat"loaf obviously isn't pulling its weight.

There's a definite Fear of Protein going out out there... encouraged by what I regard as vegetarian/vegan propaganda. I have lost track of how many times I have been told "you don't need that much protein" along with the ever popular "meat is death!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I don't eat grains, legumes or dairy proteins, so when I ask for a lunch that fits those parameters for monthly board meetings at different sites, sometimes all I get is lettuce or some broccoli. Luckily I always have a can of sardines or jerky and some nuts on me to get the protein and fat I need to function during all-day meetings.

I have been drifting towards high fat pastured dairy, like yogurt and good cheese, along with seafood of all kinds. This is satisfying and easy to digest, and often goes well with eggs and salad greens, too.

It can be tricky to get "out there," too. Most of the sushi and seafood salad out there is fake, and all the yogurt is low fat and loaded with sugar.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 12:12

BF:

Wearbear, You are so right about so much of the sushi being fake. My pet peeve is that imitation crab meat that's a processed mystery fish with lots of sugar added and it's shaped and colored to look like king crab meat.

I can attest that seafood is Very easy to digest..

I think king crab season is coming up and also lobster which must also be in the winter and I can't wait! Yum!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 12:27

BF:

Right now I get jumbo frozen shrimp to have with my homemade, low carb, cocktail sauce. A dill pickle and some good sharp cheddar, and it's a sumptuous meal.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 12:43

BF:

That's absolutely a great meal! That reminds me that I have three frozen bags of wild caught Gulf shrimp that I bought the last couple of months.... need to eat them.
I love seafood with garlic and sometimes I stir-fry the shrimp and at the end I add cream and maybe a squirt or two of lemon to make a really yummy sauce.
Alright, now that's thought is in my head, I'm making it because I haven't eaten anything yet and I'm starving.