Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: Semi Low Carb
Stats: 215/180/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Atkins out, Keto in!

I've been doing this for years. I'm amazed that just changing the name of the "diet" has brought around some of my friends who never would try Atkins. Now they are believers.

Last edited by jb88898 : Mon, Jun-03-19 at 18:00. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 19:04

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

So many people are influenced by what the celebrities do. When a few stars and starlets say "Keto", the herd follows. In this case it's not a bad thing.

I've been calling it ketogenic since the Atkins days, since I never followed Atkins strictly, and keto is easier to say.

I've kept the weight off for decades now, the rest of my family is over 300 pounds, and I'm actually a few under my goal weight now (180). I'm not looking to gain it back, and if I can get it lower, it's OK with me. 185 was the line for overweight for my height.

Keto is a cute name, and I've changed.

What I like most about this is now there are more products for me. I can get keto ice cream, keto fat bombs, and for emergency food, keto food bars, all with at least twice the fat as there is protein and almost no carbs.

Bob
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 20:41

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

At least people don't spell it "Kedo"
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 07:59

BF:

And it rhymes the Cheeto (groans are appreciated)

Bob
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 09:48

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I can get keto ice cream

Where? What brand? I've been only able to find sugar free that is also very low fat or fat free. The only way to make it palatable is to add cream. But because of the non-fat milk in it, the carbs are too high for me to have it very often.

Man, do I miss ice cream!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 11:20

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb88898
I've been doing this for years. I'm amazed that just changing the name of the "diet" has brought around some of my friends who never would try Atkins. Now they are believers.
What really cracks me up are all the people who say "I tried Atkins, but it didn't work for me (or work long term) because blah blah blah. But keto is sooo different and it's great!" Sometimes I can ignore it, but sometimes I have to try to find a way to politely explain that keto is just another name for very low carb diets that have been around for more than a century.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 15:10

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

~Bonnie OFS,

Our local grocery store (HEB) just started carrying "Rebel" ice cream... https://rebelcreamery.com

I've tried three of the flavors so far. The Peanut Butter Fudge was really good. Not up to Blue Bell or Ben 'n Jerry's quality but at only 8 g net carbs per PINT, definitely a nice treat! Smooth, creamy and peanut buttery.

Butter Pecan and Coffee Chip were okay but I probably won't buy them again. Not that either had a bad flavor but both seemed a bit more "crystalline" in texture to me, icy rather than creamy the way I expect ice cream to be.

Rebel has eight flavors available, ranging from 5g net carbs per pint to 8g net carbs per pint. So, that's under 2 g net carbs per half-cup serving. I'm looking forward to trying the rest of the flavors. At $5/pint tho (at HEB), this low-carb ice cream gonna remain an occasional treat...not a regular indulgence.

It looks like you can order it if not yet available in your area. Or, you could try asking your local grocer to carry it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 15:14

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
At least people don't spell it "Kedo"

It's times like this that I wish this forum had a "like" button!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 16:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Where? What brand? I've been only able to find sugar free that is also very low fat or fat free. The only way to make it palatable is to add cream. But because of the non-fat milk in it, the carbs are too high for me to have it very often.

Man, do I miss ice cream!

Rebel brand. I get it at Publix here in Florida.

It's keto, high in fat, low in carbs and moderate protein.

4 servings per pint, and I have to remember the entire pint is not a single serving.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 17:04

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
~Bonnie OFS,

Our local grocery store (HEB) just started carrying "Rebel" ice cream... https://rebelcreamery.com

My daughter lives near Austin & says HEB is the best store ever. Wish we had one here. I'll see if I can sell the local grocery on stocking it. If not, I'll try online.