Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-23, 06:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Possible source of the vegan "honeymoon"

I've read a lot of theories that circled around why vegans love their new way of eating, the vegan honeymoon. This is what keeps them going while their health collapses.

I understand because I loved carnivore! Now, I can still love carnivore! Now I know why the symptoms ceased when I added plant food. Because that stopped the runaway oxalate dumping symptoms. I can correct it, and go back to what works best for me.

This makes me sympathetic to vegan feelings.

But switching from the SAD to vegan is not because "whole foods have more nutrition." I'm running across arguments, such as in Toxic Superfoods and Vegetarianism Explained, that what going vegan actually does is put the body into fasting mode.

That's where the euphoria and short-term improvements come from. These two books conclude that most people can't get much of anything from a plant-based diet. It works as a calorie restricted fast.

Which must come to an end, with plants, because we see what happens with calorie restriction, like those mice who lived longer. But they also live on seeds, people!

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, Feb-24-23 at 06:11. Reason: posted too soon!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 10:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

But switching from the SAD to vegan is not because "whole foods have more nutrition." I'm running across arguments, such as in Toxic Superfoods and Vegetarianism Explained, that what going vegan actually does is put the body into fasting mode.

That's where the euphoria and short-term improvements come from. These two books conclude that most people can't get much of anything from a plant-based diet. It works as a calorie restricted fast.

Which must come to an end, with plants, because we see what happens with calorie restriction, like those mice who lived longer. But they also live on seeds, people!

I believe this is a plausible hypothesis. It takes time for any damage to occur from a particular diet, so when committed people discover their WOE isn't optimum, it can be too late depending on how long they've been "committed" and age at discovery. One of the reasons I still enjoy very low carb, protein emphasis, and producing ketones during non-eating windows is that I end up eating less (fewer calories), because I'm able to sense satiety and reach satiety sooner than my previous carb-focused WOE days. It has worked for me, and while I know we all don't respond the same, there are many people who are similar to me who have experienced the same result. Bottom line, I continue to learn how to adapt as my dietary needs slowly change over time, and it's enabled me to keep an inquisitive and open mind as I travel this journey.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 10:08

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

One thing I'll say about vegans is that they stick to their guns and don't "cheat." I've never heard of a vegan saying, "Ohhh, I was so BAD last night, I ate a whole pork chop before I even knew what was happening!"
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 11:32

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
One thing I'll say about vegans is that they stick to their guns and don't "cheat." I've never heard of a vegan saying, "Ohhh, I was so BAD last night, I ate a whole pork chop before I even knew what was happening!"
Lol, you've never met my vegan SIL! We went out for dinner together in London recently and she actually had a steak! I nearly fell off my chair in surprise!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 15:08

BF:

Time for a classic:

We Must Reclaim Human Health, Sustainability, Environmental Justice, And Morality From The Birdseed Brigade

Quote:
I’ll save time and give you the punchline right away: Of self-defined vegetarians, nearly 2/3 (214/334, or 64%) ate a significant quantity of meat on at least one of the two days for which their dietary intake was surveyed!

That’s right: pick two random days out of the year, and 64% of self-proclaimed ‘vegetarians’ ate meat during it. How many ‘vegetarians’ do you suppose survived for the other 363 days without eating meat, either?

They cheat.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 17:12

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I suspect that many vegetarians and probably even more vegans, because they fancy themselves as morally correct in how they choose to eat, are more likely to hide their meat eating transgressions.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-23, 14:09

BF:

I have seen DH do better on a food plan that includes steel cut oatmeal, at a level of fat that would have me adding half a stick of butter. (I get “fat hunger,” but then, I lived through the low fat craze.)

I have him eating chuck from the French oven, but I dip mine in sour cream and horseradish sauce So I’m comfortably sure everyone has to find how to get off the freeway, and where to stay.

But vegans are, one way or another, under the sway of a belief system. The 10% who stick with it show how many others must be cheating.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-23, 11:51

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
That's because it is against their religion to admit it. Many do keep animal products out of their homes, but how did that Wendy's Baconator wrapper get in their car? I was a vegan for ~2 years of my >50 years of dieting, in the early 1990s and it was like any other diet or way of eating. Occasionally (once every couple of months) I lapsed and it often turned into a 1-3 day binge on foods not on the current diet. Just long enough to top up my B12 until the next lapse. It was full body exhaustion that persuaded me to become a born-again carnivore.

One thing I've done since then is allow myself to go off plan but I must log what I eat. It is fascinating to see that my body does seem to keep eating until I get enough protein (~100g/day, though typically I aim for more to increase satiety), whether it comes from steak or Reece's Peanut Butter cups. I still consider myself a sugar and legume avoider even though I occasionally slip up and know how they make me feel lethargic & in pain afterwards.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Apr-10-23 at 12:03.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-23, 18:04

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I think most people who are vegans do so because either:

1) They don't think eating animals is good
2) They believe the hype that it's healthier

There are 7 important nutrients vegans cannot get without dietary supplements - that tells me we should be vegan

We have the alimentary canal, teeth and enzymes of an omnivore, that tells me we should eat both plant and flesh

Anyone who isn't a vegan and calls themselves a vegetarian, is simply fooling themselves. In reality, they are omnivores. (What plant does an egg, or piece of cheese grow on).
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-23, 09:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama

1) They don't think eating animals is good
2) They believe the hype that it's healthier

When we discover the vegetarian religious sect who set up the whole "accredited dietician" thing back in the 1920's or so? Long time, anyway. Gave them a monopoly on it.

But none of them know that. They feel virtuous, get to eat a lot of junk and feel good about it (the amounts of sugar in vegan products is horrifying) and care more about the animals.

In their minds, it all comes from happy meadows.But cows use a fraction of the water almonds do, apparently. Which much more bio-available nutrition.