Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-19, 22:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default What (doesnt) go into studies and policy

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-19, 16:19

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Just watched the entire thing. Wow, just mind-blowing how wrong they got it, the belief that low fat would be good for us!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-19, 17:16

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

That was a very interesting talk. I used to be a low-fat, high carb fanatic until I looked at the studies and sound out that LDL was not very important but rather HDL and triglycerides were. As fat had been shown to raise HDL and lower triglycerides, I switched to Atkins. My health greatly improved after that.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-19, 20:59

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Great video - Well worth watching
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-19, 22:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

My basic feeling is that life is too short to watch videos. 🤪 But I’m always ready for something to read!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 00:39

BF:

Too bad, you are missing something worthwhile.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 03:08

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Too bad, you are missing something worthwhile.

Ok, since I’m an insomniac who spends hours tossing and turning every night I decided at 3 AM that I might as well watch this. Attia is definitely a compelling and articulate speaker, though the talk also emphasizes why I prefer reading to videos. Lots of the information was familiar to me, as probably to many of us here, even if not presented in the exact same form Attia presents it. But if I had been able to read instead of viewing the video linearly I could probably have gotten through the information in about 30-40 minutes instead of 100 minutes. I did enjoy seeing and hearing Attia, but I definitely still prefer readiing.

But what really freaked me out was the ending. After nearly an hour and 20 minutes of all this information Attia then suddenly says, sort of out of the blue, that there’s no doubt that statins reduce the risk of heart disease - even though nothing he’s said up to this point addresses that at all. In fact statins have barely had even a mention except when he talked about one study where the intervention arm had a pharmacological component where that cohort took a drug (see, if I was reading I could skim back and find it, but since it’s a video my only way would be to watch the video all over from the beginning) the “something something sequestrant” or whatever it was, and he implies it was sort of a precursor to modern-day statins. Other than that statins never even get a mention.

He then throws up a quote from someone saying (I paraphrase since I don’t have the quote in front of me): “Saying taking statins lowers the risk of heart disease by decreasing cholesterol is like saying taking aspirin lowers the risk of heart disease by decreasing headaches.”

And Attia says “it sounds silly when you put it that way.” And then BOOM, that’s the end of the video!

Yet Attia didn’t seem to be done talking. It’s not as if there was any sort of wrap-up, nor the potentially promised Q&A where he said he might talk more about the Ornish study. There has to be more here but I didn’t see any continuation video. Anyway it was longer than I like but I did enjoy it until the last minute and then found myself saying “huh?”. 🤪

And for that matter does anyone know what has become of Dr. Attia? He seems to have dropped off the radar, or at least my radar.

Last edited by Merpig : Wed, Sep-25-19 at 03:26.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 08:50

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
But if I had been able to read instead of viewing the video linearly I could probably have gotten through the information in about 30-40 minutes instead of 100 minutes

My feelings exactly, and why I seldom watch videos. I might save this one for a rainy day
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 10:19

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
My feelings exactly, and why I seldom watch videos. I might save this one for a rainy day
Ditto. And the other issues that Merpig brought up, like being able to quote from it without spending ten minutes trying to find the spot where someone said something and then transcribing it. I'm sure videos are full of interesting info, but it's not info that's getting to me, sadly.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 11:22

BF:

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Sep-25-19 at 11:32.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-19, 08:40

BF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5bLggnbtyI

Where Dr Attia is now.......

Be prepared--- Dr Hyman interrupts A LOT, just his style.....bet he is an ADDer....
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-19, 11:14

BF:

He has a web site.....

https://peterattiamd.com/